Search Forum

Make me a perfume about... (a game)

Make me a perfume about... (a game) 11 years ago
I was just perusing Cafleurebon, and in one entry they suggested their readers to come up with a new destination for L'Artisan's Les Voyages Exotiques series.

So I came up with this little exercise for our own synesthetic creativity.
What would you like to see bottled? A place, an experience, a state of mind, an historical personage... a movie? Anything that rocks your boat.
What's important is that you put it in actual scent and that it's something you'd really like to have as a perfume and wear on your person.

I'll start with mine. And yes, I'd love it to be a L'Artisan creation.

I’m thinking New Orleans at the turn of 20 century. It's a journey that begins in the morning, in the French Quarter with its air full of uplifting aromas setting the mood for what starts as a beautiful leisurely day: the lemony and green facets of blooming geranium, freshly roasted coffee and bitter orange marmalade. Then, in its afternoon phase it progresses into an exaggerated, stereotypical Southern Belle bouquet of white florals (magnolia, gardenia, dewy jasmine and orange blossom), adorned and gradually overshadowed by a succession of honeyed pipe tobacco, bourbon and tabasco peppers, which take us through different parts of the city to finally introduce the outskirts with their strange viscous waft of herbs, ashes and beeswax out of voodoo shops, and the breeze from the Bayou bringing feral scents of the great river. Definitely a stealthily executed furry animalic undercurrent at this point, to evoke a presence of something dark and mysterious, but not make it at all visible. An unsettling fragrance that encompasses both light and dark, beauty and the invisible lurking beast.

Let's hear yours!
Last edited by ChapeauClack on 03.08.2013, 07:05; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
I have a cousin who absolutely loves New Orleans. I think she wants to move there soon. Now I know why, based on your description!

I'm not a very descriptive person myself, but I think a perfume that embraces Cebu in the Philippines would be nice. I wouldn't want just another tropical perfume though; it would encompass the clean, salty air and various indigenous flowers. I am more of a Northwest Pacific kind of person (I like pine trees, the mountains, and cool air), but Cebu stands out to me how unpolluted the air and water is. You can stand in the ocean and see your feet at the bottom!
11 years ago
That's beautiful, Hayven!
I love your description. Ahhh, the clean, pure air, how much I miss it.
Apparently I'm a Northwest Pacific type as well, because somewhere with pines, mountains and cool air would be an ideal place to live for me too Smile A big body of water at my feet wouldn't hurt either Laughing
11 years ago
I live in a part of the United States where we celebrate the four seasons, but I haven't always lived where I am now. I adore celebrating the distinct four weather patterns. I would love having a set of four perfumes that were based around each season. Spraying each one would remind me of that particular season...I could close my eyes and envision that time of year. For example, spraying "The Fall" would bring to mind crunching colorful leaves underfoot, the smell of wood burning in chimneys and crisp, cool air. "The Winter" would be a warm scent, highlighted by cinnamon, chocolate and incense. "The Spring" would burst with florals and be a sunny type of perfume, yet still retain a chypre feeling, because the woods are drying from the snow. And "The Summer" would be full of surprises... gourmand because of all the picnics and fairs, grasses for the beaches and lakes, and gentle flowers. As an added bonus, the boxed set comes with Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons"...
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Make me a perfume about... (a game)
Jump to