Search Forum

Books: what are you reading right now?

51 - 75 by 297
11 years ago
The Return. By: Victoria Hislop She also wrote the Island, which was wonderful) Smile
11 years ago
Pride and Prejudice and Vampires; I bought it for 99 cents on Amazon. It's not that good. I think I mixed it up with the zombies version that people talk about; but nonetheless, it's worth a try for the price.
11 years ago
Hayven:
Pride and Prejudice and Vampires; I bought it for 99 cents on Amazon. It's not that good. I think I mixed it up with the zombies version that people talk about; but nonetheless, it's worth a try for the price.

I tried a couple of the Kindle freebies and they were amazingly awful, aside from the classics that were only free because they were out of copyright. Everything else seemed to be self-published novels.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Hayven:

I tried a couple of the Kindle freebies and they were amazingly awful, aside from the classics that were only free because they were out of copyright. Everything else seemed to be self-published novels.

Yeah, I didn't find too many winners, if at all. A lot of them do appear to be self-published.
11 years ago
The best ebook bargains I've found are the Kindle Daily Deals or the 100 Books for Less Than $3.99.
11 years ago
Cryptic, Pride and Prejudice will not be going on our trip. Crying or Very sad

We will listen to The Great Gatsby it has been years since I read this one.
11 years ago
I still think you'd love P&P more if you watched the BBC adaption, which is very faithful to the book. Here is a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Zzo5U3NaU

Enjoy Gatsby!
11 years ago
Currently reading:

Interesting ...Very Happy
11 years ago
11 years ago
I really enjoyed listening to The Great Gatspy on my road trip.
I missed a lot or did not remember things from reading the book years ago.

I have been reading The Known World by Edward P Jones Winner of the Pulitzer prize
11 years ago
zip
Last edited by Wichapi on 17.05.2013, 07:18; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
The Keeper of Lost Causes was wonderful. It was harrowing to read about the long and terrible confinement, but the ending made it worthwhile, I thought. I don't want to be too specific for fear of spoiling potential readers, but I'm a sucker for a story that illustrates the triumph of the human spirit as long as it isn't corny, which this certainly wasn't.

Have you read the followup? Not as excellent, but still a good read, IMHO.

Thanks for posting. Smile
11 years ago
Hello all you wonderful book lovers! Now, I have just made a note of this Keeper of the lost causes...will look this up! I am extremely embarrassed to say what I am reading at the moment. Embarassed But my daughter in law gave it to me (in Croatian, but understand and read Croatian)...anyway,,50 shades of grey...BORING shite...And, how many times does this girl blush! (and bite her lip)...what a lot of drivel...excuse me if I upset anyone, but we are here to give our reading opinions! Smile What did you think? (if you have read it, of course).
11 years ago
I haven't read it... have no interest in reading it. 50 SOG.

Finally finished The Known World. I have several in line to read, but I think I will pick an easy read after this last book. Confused
11 years ago
zip
Last edited by Wichapi on 17.05.2013, 07:18; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Wichapi, nice to see another book lover here.

I started Bastard out of Carolina last night by Dorothy Allison.

1992 National Book Award Finalist.
11 years ago
Cincy:
I haven't read it... have no interest in reading it. 50 SOG.
+1
The real McCoy is always better, even though this Diary of a Sub was getting tiresome by the end.
11 years ago
I have just bought Keeper of the lost causes..on my Kindle. So when I have finished my book that I am reading, will start this one. It sounds really good, and will let you know what I think of it! The second one in this series, doesn't get as many good reviews, and it's too expensive at the moment anyway).
11 years ago
I hope you love it!
11 years ago
I just grabbed this Kindle Daily Deal for $2.99. Haven't started it yet, but who can resist the combination of ballet and Paris?

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U4BQWO/ref=amb_l ink_371905902_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s= center-2&pf_rd_r=0E498V6K0EVPCAHNM8QD&pf_rd_t= 1401&pf_rd_p=1498974482&pf_rd_i=1000677541
11 years ago
What a deal Cryptic, and looks as though it will be a good read.
11 years ago
Wow...Cryptic!! when I clicked on this, it's $16.99...and that has been reduced from 27.99....You got a Great Deal!! I hope you enjoy the story, and let us know your thoughts! Smile
11 years ago
When I checked earlier, it was still at $2.99. This was right after Cryptic posted. I bet several customer bought and then they jacked the price up some.
11 years ago
That is probably correct...but, I live in Croatia, and I compare a lot of books with my sister, (who lives in the States) when we are on Skype...and sometimes what is going cheap when she clicks on...is the usual price for me! This also applies to many free books...Free for U.S. residents...I pay $2.99 !! Oh well, I should be happy that I can order them at all! When I came to live here, nearly 30 years ago, I had no access to English books...it was so sad for me! Friends would send some thru the post etc..but that was rather expensive! But, today...having a Kindle is like a dream come true! I can have all the latest stories, at my fingertips! I am so lucky! I would die without my books. They are my most fabulous friends! What a wonderful world...Great books, and wonderful perfumes..(I'm talking about hobbies )..I'm not putting these before family and loved ones etc). At one time, here in Croatia..they had the Newsweek Magazine, it cost $30!! (this was in the 90's, during the war). So, I do consider myself lucky, to be able to read all the books etc. now available to me!
11 years ago
Dalmajen:
Wow...Cryptic!! when I clicked on this, it's $16.99...and that has been reduced from 27.99....You got a Great Deal!! I hope you enjoy the story, and let us know your thoughts! Smile

Sorry! I thought it would be $2.99 for everyone.

I have to look into Amazon Prime. I think that allows you to lend your ebooks to anyone you please.
51 - 75 by 297
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Books: what are you reading right now?
Jump to