Search Forum

Books: what are you reading right now?

76 - 100 by 297
11 years ago
zip
Last edited by Wichapi on 17.05.2013, 07:19; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Any love for P.D. James? Ruth Rendell? Dorothy Sayers?
11 years ago
Finished "Bastard out of Carolina" by Dorothy Allison. This book is a tear jerker, not a book to be read while waiting in airport. Sad

Going to read "Nellie Taft" The unconventional First Lady of the ragtime era.

The cover of the book speaks to me. Rolling EyesLaughing

www.harpercollins.com/browseinside/index.aspx? isbn13=9780060513832
11 years ago

Creepy doesn't even begin to cover it. Shocked
11 years ago
The Sheltering Sky is the $1.99 daily deal today on Kindle. Exclamation
11 years ago
Cryptic:

I saw the movie. All I could think through the whole thing was, "My god, these people take themselves WAY too seriously!!" The most self-indulgent characters that I can recall.
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Cryptic:

I saw the movie. All I could think through the whole thing was, "My god, these people take themselves WAY too seriously!!" The most self-indulgent characters that I can recall.

I guess that means you won't be downloading the book? Razz
11 years ago
Cryptic:
just went on to see...for me, it's $11.68....I only get SOME of the deals! Crying or Very sad
11 years ago
zip
11 years ago
I agree. I've only read a few of the Wexford series and none of them grabbed me. What I love are the books she writes as Barbara Vine and the stand alone Rendell novels, although I have to admit that all of her work has gone downhill in the last 5 years or so.

Did you read the Pride and Prejudice murder mystery by P.D. James? What was she thinking??? Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
zip
11 years ago
Just finished

Michael Chabon: The Final Solution

Lovely little novel!
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Dulcemio:
Cryptic:

I guess that means you won't be downloading the book? Razz

Correct. Cool

Though, cryptic, I did retain a tidbit of wisdom from that movie that's stuck with me all these years: When Debra Winger's character states that even though we're all fascinated by our own dreams, it's boring to hear about other people's dreams.

I instantly recognized this as truth, and to this day refrain (for the most part) from talking about my dreams.
11 years ago
I can see how a movie based on the book would come out all pretentious and angsty, but portions of the book read like poetry, especially the descriptions of the desert.
11 years ago
This is what I mean:

“A black star appears, a point of darkness in the night sky's clarity. Point of darkness and gateway to repose. Reach out, pierce the fine fabric of the sheltering sky, take repose.”
-Paul Bowles, The Sheltering Sky
11 years ago
oh, cryptic, I used to eat that sort of poetico-shmetico stuff up with a spoon when I was young!

Now I'm so cynical. Crying or Very sad
11 years ago
I'm sorry I started reading it, Dulce. The whole suffering from typhoid out in the middle of nowhere thing is giving me an anxiety attack. I may not even finish it. Sad
11 years ago
May not finish the book. Shocked Cryptic it must be really bad.

I am having a hard time turning the pages of Nellie Taft. Still plugging along. The book is well written, however politics isn't my thing.
11 years ago
zip
11 years ago
Cryptic:
I'm sorry I started reading it, Dulce. The whole suffering from typhoid out in the middle of nowhere thing is giving me an anxiety attack. I may not even finish it. Sad

I've forgotten much of the plot, I just remember it was a downer, but the movie was beautifully shot.
11 years ago
Yeah Exclamation Finished "Nellie Taft" learned a lot about our traveling Nellie.

Now reading The Natural Disorder of Things. by Andrea Canobbio.
A Thriller.
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Cryptic:

I've forgotten much of the plot, I just remember it was a downer, but the movie was beautifully shot.

A downer is putting it mildly. The husband croaked and the wife went batshit crazy. Exclamation
11 years ago
Cryptic:
A downer is putting it mildly. The husband croaked and the wife went batshit crazy. Exclamation

Well, at least you did not (hopefully) see John Malkovich as the husband in the theatre of your mind.
11 years ago
zip
Last edited by Wichapi on 17.05.2013, 07:20; edited 1 time in total
76 - 100 by 297
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Books: what are you reading right now?
Jump to