Search Forum

I have been.......

1451 - 1475 by 2160
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
... how many pilots are still flying airplanes when they are past 60?... There is good reason for this.

...Or at least not very high

Because they avoided attracting HIS attention unnecessarily?! Twisted Evil
11 years ago
Smile
Oh, no - with God we are in perfect harmony - ignoring each other.
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
Driving and aging; one of the scariest combinations around... There's good reason to assume someone past 70 is a danger to others on the road, too. I for one would give up my license at a certain age rather than risk putting others in harms way. But most Americans think that is an infringement of their "right" to drive.

My dad has Alzheimer's, and my mom still lets him drive during the day. As far as I know, he has been OK; but I'm not OK with it. I'm worried that one day he might drive off somewhere and not know how to get back. He has been very accepting of letting me drive us around whenever we're together, just for a peace of mind for the both of us. He doesn't remember birthdays, holidays, or what month it is anymore. The thought scares me if a cop pulls him over, they may think he's drunk or crazy and send him to the hospital.

-----

I have been...stressing out lately. I'm rusty on how to go about looking for a new job as I secured one straight out of college. I know I need to practice interviewing, and I cleaned up my resume. I went to my sister for advice as she has applied and been at multiple workplaces (including a major newspaper, a television ratings company, and a lobbyist in DC). I gave my job a heads up that I will be job searching, and she berated me that I could have been fired on the spot. I figured it would be better to let them know instead of the potential place of employ contacting my current work, but she said I made a poor decision. Now she won't speak to me or give further advice. Ugh!
11 years ago
Hayven, do we have the same sister?? That sounds like something mine would do. I don't know what the recommended protocol is in your field for giving notice, but if I was your supervisor I would be grateful that you were forthright and gave me ample opportunity to find a replacement. The best of luck to you in your job search and a big hug.
11 years ago
Hayven, I'm afraid I must agree with your sister. A potential new employer can only contact your current employer if you give them written permission on your job application. Otherwise, it's against the law. (Edit: apparently it's not illegal, but in my experience, it simply isn't done. Ever.)

I've only ever known one protocol for leaving a job: You must give a 2-week notice, and this is AFTER you secure new employement (unless you're so fed up and have enough money to live on for an extended period that you just up and leave, or you are leaving the workforce altogether.)

From an employer's point of view, having someone around who no longer wants to be there but has no immediate plans to leave is a potential liability. Maybe in some fields the notice is traditionally longer, but you owe them no more or no less than the standard notice for your field. They were doing just fine before they hired you, and they'll do just fine without you.

Don't be too nice, do what's in your best interest. If they needed to lay you off, they would not give you a notice, let alone an open-ended amount of time to find a new job, right? Smile
11 years ago
I'll say: Do not slam the door that you still have the option of simply close it
Last edited by WolfM on 09.08.2013, 21:34; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Dlane1953:

Here's a quote you might enjoy, Wolf:
"I love humanity, it's people I can't stand." Laughing Just joking around. Smile

Indeed, Dlane!Very Happy
...but with the people is far more difficult, because I feel surrounded on all sides - damn, they're creepin' everywhere Laughing

I have been dedicating on carpet cleaning because my oldest doggy (sometimes, very rarely, but it happens) - let slip(it is the word?) before I could let her go out
11 years ago
WolfM:
Dlane1953:

Here's a quote you might enjoy, Wolf:
"I love humanity, it's people I can't stand." Laughing Just joking around. Smile

Indeed, Dlane!Very Happy
...but with the people is far more difficult, because I feel surrounded on all sides - damn, they're creepin' everywhere Laughing

I have been dedicating on carpet cleaning because my oldest doggy (sometimes, very rarely, but it happens) - let slip(it is the word?) before I could let her go out

Aww, poor doggy. She probably felt so bad about that. Crying or Very sad It's amazing that dogs will hold it as long as they do.

Have you seen these pee pads for indoor dogs? I think I would need one of these for my own peace of mind if I had an indoor dog.
www.amazon.com/PetZoom-Park-Indoor-Potty-25-5/ dp/B002ZHRTAK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=137608633 7&sr=8-4&keywords=potty+pads+for+dogs
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Aww, poor doggy. She probably felt so bad about that. Crying or Very sad It's amazing that dogs will hold it as long as they do.

Actually - she is not in bad condition, It just happens sometimes. She just not felt the need that comes, they will not need to hold because I have a decently large garden, which is at their disposal - come and go whenever they wish. In fact, she is now far better - it was bad 5 years ago, when consistently we had to fight two very terrible diseases. Since then - she getting older, but ever-happy and playful. Very HappyVery Happy as a little girl.
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
Thanks for the info., Dulce; when dogs get older, it's tough for them to control their bladders. So also (ahem) for older humans as well!

Half-joking here (you decide which half is serious!) but I've concluded that when I reach that point, someone needs to put me down in a humane fashion.

Haha! I'll check back with you when you actually do reach that point. I bet you'll decide the Dependz ain't so bad after all! Laughing

Seriously, though, I am not looking forward to that time in my life either. Crying or Very sad
11 years ago
Dlane1953:

Half-joking here (you decide which half is serious!) but I've concluded that when I reach that point, someone needs to put me down in a humane fashion.

Some people grow old as cathedrals, others - such as rags; and, believe me, nothing physical can really undermine human dignity - 8 years I take care for someone in such a state, and it's not the worst.
11 years ago
WolfM,
So glad to hear your doggy is healthy and happy and has a garden. That's ideal. I was assuming the dog could not go outside on its own. So many dog owners here in the city don't have a garden (or yard, as we Americans say), so are constantly rushing home to take their dogs outside for a potty break. That would be so stressful for me, and I can only imagine how the dogs feel. Knowing how dogs aim to please their humans, I think some people believe their dogs don't mind holding it, but I think they would rather not hold it if given a choice.
11 years ago
Of course not - the garden is fenced. But also they didn't have great desire to travel Smile
Although they are very friendly and calm dogs - for the tranquility of my neighbors(all know them and enjoy them,but still...), as well as for my own peace of mind, and yet for the tranquility of the dogs themselves - i prefer they to play in safe in the yard.
11 years ago
WolfM:
Some people grow old as cathedrals, others - such as rags; and, believe me, nothing physical can really undermine human dignity - 8 years I take care for someone in such a state, and it's not the worst.

So true. and it helps to have caring people to look after you.

My grandmother was very old when she died and required care during the last several years, after being very self-sufficient and independent up to that point. But she adjusted to her limited physical capacity and was happy. As long as she had company occasionally, she was happy as a clam.
11 years ago
My elderly cat seems to be doing well and is passing his checkups and blood tests with flying colors, except a mild case of hyperthyroidism common in older cats.

BUT, he has recently decided that sometimes it's okay to pee next to the litter box rather than in it. I keep waterproof, absorbant pads under and around the litter box to protect the floor, so it's an easy clean up, but I can't figure out the rhyme or reason as to why this only happens sometimes and not all the time. I keep everything nice and clean, and scoop out the litter boxes (2) twice a day. I guess I should just be grateful he doesn't pee elsewhere in the house. Confused
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
...but I can't figure out the rhyme or reason as to why this only happens sometimes and not all the time.

Because it's boring always to do things in the same way?! Very Happy
11 years ago
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

--- Robert A. Heinlein

Have truer words ever been spoken? Laughing
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

--- Robert A. Heinlein

Have truer words ever been spoken? Laughing

Never.
1451 - 1475 by 2160
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic I have been.......
Jump to