Search Forum

EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members

151 - 175 by 593
11 years ago 2
The last time I posted on basenotes in a thread I got blasted for an opinion about vintage fragrances. Initially, I was shocked and a little appalled by this person's pure nastiness. I suggested that many older fragrances were possibly formulated to co-exist with things like tobacco smoke, and since anti-perspirants were not available until the 1950's, possibly stronger body odor. I got a rant about me viewing everyone as "the great unwashed" and so on and so on...blah blah blah. I dried up after that....it really wasn't worth a fight.

Fragrantica, I never had any problems over there, other than rarely getting a response to a question. I did get tired of the "what fragrance really turns girls on" and "should a man wear a woman's fragrance" (and the ensuing arguments) threads. I really don't care. If you like it, then wear it...it is really your business. If it boosts your confidence, that is far more of a magnet than any fragrance can be.
Re: No good deed is unpunished 11 years ago
Pipette:
Dlane1953:
Pipette:
I got an official warning in a private message from the owner of Fragrantica not to "solicit" any more. One of too many letters praising the lovely Parfumo site must have been either intercepted, or worse, that member which I recruited told on me.

Do whatever you want, the internet is big, and from the keyboard of our private computer station we visit many sites anyway.

Fragrantica is a good place for many things, I am still visiting and mostly reading.

Wow. I didn't know they'd react is such a way. They have so many members and visitors, why should they be worried?

Bolding added. The way I understand it, various perfume websites compete inside the Internet of how many hits they are getting. There are lists for that. Why should it matter ? I don't know, unless there are commercial reasons that the site has Ads and wants many, many visits and no competition.
Beats me.
At any rate, the good places will eventually get their spot inside the Internet.
We have had discussions here on Parfumo whether to be conscious of content (= what is written in reviews and blog articles) viewed from the inside out (= our position as members of a group) or from the outside in (= how does an outsider view and value what he sees as far as reviews and blog articles).

I was surprised from the very beginning when I noticed that the word 'Parfumo' was being blocked over at Fragrantica, because Zoka always insisted that he did not consider the site to be in competition with Dnotes. Odd, then, that he should consider there to be a threat from this lightly populated community!

It's a mystery to me!
Confused
Pipette:
I got an official warning in a private message from the owner of Fragrantica not to "solicit" any more. One of too many letters praising the lovely Parfumo site must have been either intercepted, or worse, that member which I recruited told on me.

Absolute stupidity Rolling Eyes
They should rather improve some of their functions instead of worrying about this site Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
Gmmcnair:
The last time I posted on basenotes in a thread I got blasted for an opinion about vintage fragrances. (...) I dried up after that...

I am not exactly fond of some of the bn-folks myself and don't bother to frequent that platform anymore other than for the occasional review.

Edit: typo
Last edited by MiaTrost on 18.03.2013, 16:44; edited 2 times in total
11 years ago 1
Yes, some of the remarks of certain members on BN can sometimes be a bit sarcastic or quite snobbish. (not all members, only a few). As far as Zoka goes...I find it quite insecure of him, to have warned a member in this way. Yes, they do have a large following...so why the hell would it matter to him, who goes elsewhere? There are new people popping into every forum, every day!
The unseen jealousies 11 years ago
I have talked about Fragrantica here on Parfumo and the name was not blocked out. When I mention another website, it is to give credit of something good they posted, and to share a link.

I have mentioned The Perfume Magazine here on Parfumo when it was a good reference to an article or a bit of newsworthy news, like the Esxence Live Streaming from Milan this Thursday. The owner of TPM was delighted that news travel around.

The internet is like a vast field, everybody has their say, that does not mean that hidden jealousies do not exist. The joke is only that the same owners of the various websites, like Basenotes, Fragrantica, Parfumo, The Perfume Magazine and quite a few more meet each other "in the flesh" on social perfume events and then probably air kiss each other on the cheeks with "Hi, how have you been?"

That is VANITY FAIR ...
11 years ago 1
There was a thread over at Fragrantica where someone mentioned the 2 week bannings, in case anyone was wondering where that idea came from. On the same thread, Zoka stated that the reason why Parfumo is censored is because someone spammed Fragrantica with the link at some point. I don't remember that ever happening, but whatever.
11 years ago 1
I like that Parfumo seems above all that petty drama. Parfumo seems to work off the premise: "just be your usual cool self, and the people will find you."
11 years ago
"just be your usual cool self, and the people will find you.:1f34a47b58]

That's definitely The Emperor's motto.

Laughing
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
"just be your usual cool self, and the people will find you.:30bdcaa6f5]

That's definitely The Emperor's motto.
Laughing

Tell me something I don't know, sherapop!

HRH is cool personified. Cool
11 years ago
Hi everyone! I'm here, although pretty quiet for now. Wouldn't say I'm in exile, but I am sulking somewhat. I'm tempted to say something bitchy about the tone of the neighbourhood at the other place, but lots of lovely folk there too. Anyway, I'm already enjoying this place and will do so more in future I expect. xx
11 years ago
Denoula:
Hi everyone! I'm here, although pretty quiet for now. Wouldn't say I'm in exile, but I am sulking somewhat. I'm tempted to say something bitchy about the tone of the neighbourhood at the other place, but lots of lovely folk there too. Anyway, I'm already enjoying this place and will do so more in future I expect. xx

We need you here for "literary input". You are sooo good at languages and had an individual topic over there, which was (or is??) very popular. When we congregate here, we could start similar topics and just transfer the lovely group from there to here.

I was caught writing those recruiting letters and warned, "this is your last warning".

That does not stop me to read, occasionally put in my 1-1/2 cents and enjoy the good features - like the comprehensive data bank - that the other place has. The women and men over there are most generous in thought and actions. It is just the silly repeat, repeat bla bla in the topics that I have trouble skipping until I get to the good topics which also exist.
11 years ago
Pipette:
Denoula:
Hi everyone! I'm here, although pretty quiet for now. I'm already enjoying this place and will do so more in future I expect. xx

We need you here for "literary input". You are sooo good at languages and had an individual topic over there, which was (or is??) very popular. When we congregate here, we could start similar topics and just transfer the lovely group from there to here.

Thanks, Pipette. I'm still barking away occasionally over there. I don't feel I have any spare strength just yet, still recovering from my mishap.
11 years ago
Hi, Denoula, that is true, I forgot. I hope that you feel better soon, in your real life and in your virtual life.

Smile
11 years ago
Get well soon Denoula.
Pipette:
I got an official warning in a private message from the owner of Fragrantica not to "solicit" any more. One of too many letters praising the lovely Parfumo site must have been either intercepted, or worse, that member which I recruited told on me

Shocked
Seatonica:
Pipette:
I got an official warning in a private message from the owner of Fragrantica not to "solicit" any more. One of too many letters praising the lovely Parfumo site must have been either intercepted, or worse, that member which I recruited told on me

Shocked

LMAO....... Smile I live for moments like that !!!
AromiErotici:
Seatonica:
Pipette:

Shocked

LMAO....... Smile I live for moments like that !!!

Sorry for the OT but didn't you find the Powerhouse Fragrance Users group on BN? I loved that group.
Re: No good deed is unpunished 11 years ago 1
Seatonica:
Pipette:

Shocked

I really don't like the use of the word "solicit" here. It conjures up images of a ho on a street corner. Z gets a pass because he's a non-native speaker, but he nevertheless isn't doing himself any favors with the irrational Parfumo hate.
11 years ago 1
What can I say? He warned me. I am reading there frequently and honestly like the perfume data bank and the generous spirit of many women and men who are old timers there. It is just that there are constantly disputes about how to write reviews and they get thumbed down if somebody would elect to do this mischievously.

Each website has its "flavor". I am only laughing - when on occasions like for instance at the Milan Esxence Trade Fair, the officials of the various websites are meeting in the flesh, are attending the same seminars, go to the same cocktail parties and greet each other friendly as colleagues in the same field - while we regular mortals are sweating about how to behave in order not to misbehave.

The internet crowd is getting closer and closer together, it is inevitable.
11 years ago
Digindirt:
Get well soon Denoula.

Thanks so much, DD. I am utterly sick of trying to function with one arm in plaster. Not so much longer now.
11 years ago
Yikes!! I had no idea, Denoula. So sorry it happened.
11 years ago
Pipette:
Each website has its "flavor". I am only laughing - when on occasions like for instance at the Milan Esxence Trade Fair, the officials of the various websites are meeting in the flesh, are attending the same seminars, go to the same cocktail parties and greet each other friendly as colleagues in the same field - while we regular mortals are sweating about how to behave in order not to misbehave.

Hm, Don and me will not attend the Esxence Trade fair in Milan, but if we did we would certainly not feel inclined to socialize or exchange compliments with the Fragrantica owners. They try to censor Parfumo, and as one can see in this thread they apparently discriminate against users who have accounts on both sites.

Currently, I cannot imagine any topic that I want to discuss with them. Definitely no air kissing at each others cheeks as somebody supposed a few posts above!

This thread here is okay for me since I see that many people want to discuss the pro's and con's of both sites. I read this thread to stay informed about what people think. However, Don's way to deal with Fragrantica is simply to concentrate on the further improvement of Parfumo, and I think he is right.
151 - 175 by 593
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members
Jump to