Search Forum

EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members

176 - 200 by 593
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
Apicius: your last post really gets to the point. You and Don are building a wonderful site here! Thanks so much for your hard work in making it all happen.

+1
11 years ago 1
I hate to speak of negative things but, if I may share, a certain member of Fragrantica told me personally not to share Parfumo with anyone as he has already been reporting Fragrantica mwmbers who come here. I took that as s threat and joined within 5 minutes.
I still don't understand how participating here is being disloyal to Zoka.
11 years ago
Digindirt:
I hate to speak of negative things but, if I may share, a certain member of Fragrantica told me personally not to share Parfumo with anyone as he has already been reporting Fragrantica mwmbers who come here. I took that as s threat and joined within 5 minutes.

OMG! ShockedShockedShockedShocked
11 years ago 1
Cincy:
Digindirt:

OMG! ShockedShockedShockedShocked

Are these people idiots Confused:
I mean ... seriously Shocked
What kind of website/adminstration is that Confused
11 years ago
I hate to speak of negative things but, if I may share, a certain member of Fragrantica told me personally not to share Parfumo with anyone as he has already been reporting Fragrantica mwmbers who come here. /quote]

The mind boggles Evil or Very Mad
Last edited by Seatonica on 24.03.2013, 00:18; edited 2 times in total
Censorship 11 years ago 2
I stopped being an active member on Fragrantica because of censorship issues.

Firstly there was censorship - I had to believe the moderators had some vested interest in various perfumes because my negative reviews would just be deleted overnight. My reviews weren't nasty, just unfavourable. It seemed there were plenty of complaints from others about the same thing. I choose to not rely on a site where the moderators were clearly tailoring published opinions and where I was allowed to read only approved reviews. That Fragrantica blocks references to Parfumo on it's webt site is further evidence of their totalitarian attitude to censorship as a method of controlling the minds of their readers.

Secondly there was the lack of censorship where it was needed. Sad to say there are vicious trolls around who get their cheap thrills from written abuse and I was so disgusted by what Fragrantica readers did to Olga in a thread, and the lack of intervention to stop the bullying that was clearly out of control - it was as if the moderators were sitting back counting the 'hits' at Olga's expense. A couple of these types of incidents did it in for me. Just reading those threads spoilt the whole experience.

There were good things about Fragrantica including the vast data base, the numbers of participants and wide range of reviews including by perfume not-snobs (which I miss here and I try and do my little bit to redress) as well as perfume elitists, the visuals were attractive and easy to navigate. This site is attractive, less messy visually, super easy to use especially the perfume identifier which drops down after you start typing the name; most importantly for me there doesn't seem to be as much willingness to take someone apart but that might be more early intervention by the moderators. It just has an easier ambience that sits better with Sunday morning coffee and chocolate croissants. And yes I can do without those silly threads but of course you don't have to read them - I got a good giggle out the Barbie thread. Thanks for letting me have that gem on Sunday morning Cincy.

I love reading the reviews of what I will call the elitists (Sherapop et al) but I do miss on Parfumo, a lot, the reviews written by perfume not-snobs. I like it when someone says why they love Midnight Fantasy - it's a clear and honest opinion and grounds a wider variety of offerings. If only some of the people who are listed as owning a perfume wrote a short review (or a long review, even better) on what they own, or some of them, then I think this site would be greatly improved. That might be just a function of this being a newish site, but I think there is a reticence here of perfume non-snobs to offer their reviews. Some might say fine, leave it as a more refined site. I like reading lots of reviews but I don't really care to visit Fragrantica to do it because I know their reviews are censored and directed.
Last edited by Rubyred on 24.03.2013, 03:31; edited 1 time in total
Re: No good deed is unpunished 11 years ago
Gmmcnair:
AromiErotici:
Seatonica:
Pipette:
I got an official warning in a private message from the owner of Fragrantica not to "solicit" any more. One of too many letters praising the lovely Parfumo site must have been either intercepted, or worse, that member which I recruited told on me

Shocked

LMAO....... Smile I live for moments like that !!!

Sorry for the OT but didn't you find the Powerhouse Fragrance Users group on BN? I loved that group.

Hi Gmmcnair. Yes, I eventually turned it over to shamu1 when I deciding I had enough of a certain moderator.
11 years ago
Ruby, you should check out Franfan's reviews. He covers a lot of the celebrity fragrances, and he does an excellent job of it.
Fanfare for Franfan 11 years ago
thanks Cryptic I did. Entertaining as well as informative. I think maybe some of the perfumes are not easily available in country Australia. But yes they make good reading.
Last edited by Rubyred on 25.03.2013, 07:23; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
Please stop it Laughing
I can't handle it Wink (sorry I'm not used to getting praise - I feel uncomfortable everytime...)

Ruby, a lot of those aren't available in Germany either, so it takes a lot of nice people in the industry, other members and a special friend that brought me all the good Mariah stuff to do what I do Very Happy

Once again thanks...
11 years ago
OK, now that someone's mentioned B. Spears Hidden Fantasy, I guess I know what I need to go spray! Smile

(Talk about highbrow/lowbrow - I have an equal amount of Britney Spears and Serge Lutens in my collection - one each!)
11 years ago
PBullFriend:
OK, now that someone's mentioned B. Spears Hidden Fantasy, I guess I know what I need to go spray! Smile

(Talk about highbrow/lowbrow - I have an equal amount of Britney Spears and Serge Lutens in my collection - one each!)

That makes me feel better....I have Carons and YSLs sitting next to Coty and Dana and Claibornes. Smile
Re: Censorship 11 years ago
Rubyred:
There were good things about Fragrantica including the vast data base, the numbers of participants and wide range of reviews including by perfume not-snobs (which I miss here and I try and do my little bit to redress) as well as perfume elitists, the visuals were attractive and easy to navigate.

(...)

I love reading the reviews of what I will call the elitists (Sherapop et al) but I do miss on Parfumo, a lot, the reviews written by perfume not-snobs. I like it when someone says why they love Midnight Fantasy - it's a clear and honest opinion and grounds a wider variety of offerings. If only some of the people who are listed as owning a perfume wrote a short review (or a long review, even better) on what they own, or some of them, then I think this site would be greatly improved. That might be just a function of this being a newish site, but I think there is a reticence here of perfume non-snobs to offer their reviews. Some might say fine, leave it as a more refined site.

Thank you, Rubyred, for your thoughts. As a change, it is very good to read some criticism about Parfumo.

I hope we do not shy away too many beginners and "non-snobs". Everybody is invited to join in and publish his or her thought about perfume. The question is not at all how you write and what style you prefer, or how much you are used to express yourself in written words. As long as people show just a little bit effort and engagement, any contribution is highly welcome!
11 years ago
Rubyred has a good point. More reviews of mainstream fragrances would enhance Parfumo, but as membership grows I think they will come in time. Although my expertise is limited I should have a go at writing some I know.
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
Love it! I love reading FranFran's reviews. Blush if you must, FranFran, but you are good at this!

Ha ha, ok ... I gladly accept all compliments.
At least now I know where all those subscriptions come from Wink - thanks to all of you. Cool

----

I'm pretty sure over time there will be more action here. In 1 year we got so much nice international members that enrich the community. I came to Parfumo while existed already 2 1/2 years and since then I saw a lot of members join daily on the german site. So maybe it will be the same here. So let's see what 2014 will bring Laughing
I'm a Dissident. Another Tale of Censorship... 11 years ago
I hesitated for awhile to share the sordid details of my departure from 'the site that shall not be named' as we call it at my house. Since I enjoy a good rumble for about the first 15 seconds, then I can't be bothered with petty revenge schemes and back-n-forth arguments, unless I'm watching Chef Gordon Ramsay on "Kitchen Nightmares". I always try to state my case clearly, then I move onto better things. In brief: I mentioned in the forum that an online shop for Niche fragrances, I'd recently purchased from sold me defective merchandise and then did not responding to repeated Customer Service Inquiries for several months...and unbenounced to me the Customer Service Rep., let's call her "DeKim", instead of doing her job properly first accused www.luckyscent.com (which I have shopped from for about 10 years) of sending mismarked decants-Luckyscent responded in about 48 hours by sending me new free samples with free shipping to compare them- Nope, no problem on their end and fyi I'm not affiliated but- totally professional outstanding customer service. Meanwhile "Kimya" from Rescue Spa was busy trolling the F-site forum and complaining to the Admins. that I was in fact the problem. "Off with Her Head!" said the Grand Wizard. Eventually I was able to contact the Parfumer directly- (Keiko is a graceful, whip-smart and straightforward Lady, FYI) and she admitted that I was correct, there had been a manufacturing level screw-up on my bottle. It took about 3 seconds for the Parfumer to say "ooops!" and then say "check back with us in a few months when we should have the issue resolved. Thank you for shopping with us". And all was well- except for the tacky small-minded behavior of the intermediate Seller's Customer Service Rep,"Kimbalina" was busy bad-mouthing me to and with the big Z over at F-site...it was as if they were in collusion with kick backs...perhaps I don't understand the bigger picture of backroom deals and back scratching. But on the planet where I live friends can worn other friends about shops where the deals & service are bad, (no vile language was used) without getting removed from the friends group. Communities clearly state the rules and if the rules are "Only say nice things and never tell the truth about potential sponsors", so be it...that's cool. For the full scoop you can read the details on my Amazon.com "Niblet" Review for Osmanthus by Keiko Mecheri purchased through Rittenhouse Rescue Spa (Now changed to Rescue Spa Philadelphia). What really irked me about the whole thing was I had made some really lovely friends trading and I had written 50 or so really good reviews, I felt I was a positive contributor, but the reviews were removed...who does that help? Anyway, onward and upward!
11 years ago
In sympathy, if my reviews were removed - without just cause - I would quit the assembly, too.
11 years ago
Pipette:
In sympathy, if my reviews were removed - without just cause - I would quit the assembly, too.

My Grandmother and now my mother both love to say "It is an ill wind that blows no good" or something to this effect. I think it means everything, even if it seems bad at the time, will eventually lead to something good...like my ending up here.
11 years ago
Interesting Flavorite. I've noticed that I cannot give awards to certain members there. Very strange.
11 years ago
You know...I haven't logged in to the F site in ages. Everything I need is over here now, and it's just such a laid back atmosphere that I really don't care to go elsewhere.
11 years ago
Gmmcnair:
You know...I haven't logged in to the F site in ages. Everything I need is over here now, and it's just such a laid back atmosphere that I really don't care to go elsewhere.

I go there every day, but there is nothing there that is not here as well and better.
Re: I'm a Dissident. Another Tale of Censorship... 11 years ago
Flavorite:
.. What really irked me about the whole thing was I had made some really lovely friends trading and I had written 50 or so really good reviews, I felt I was a positive contributor, but the reviews were removed...who does that help? Anyway, onward and upward!
That's sad and it would bother me too. But as you already mentioned, the good thing about it is, you've joined us. Smile
11 years ago
There are great people on both sites- it's too bad that so many people feel that they have to choose one site or the other- I enjoy them both-

There are always going to be things to complain about, no matter where you are, if that's what you want to do- any time mortal humans are involved in a system of any kind, things are going to get mucked up from time to time...
176 - 200 by 593
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members
Jump to