Search Forum

The Follies of Fashion

1 - 25 by 41
The Follies of Fashion 11 years ago
Sure, La haute couture (= High Fashion) has just the ideas that later become ready to wear for us ordinary mainstream customers. So, this Spring 2013 trend is said to be "Transparency". But,

(Link to image deleted by user for two reasons: 1. it updates periodically and does not show Spring 2013 anymore, and 2. it showed my e-mail address. Sorry.)
I cannot imagine myself wearing that light blue shirtdress in the middle and not be laughed at.
Last edited by Pipette on 12.07.2013, 14:44; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
The garments you see on the runway aren't necessarily meant to be worn that way on the streets. If you wore the blue number as a blouse over a pair of slim white pants, it would work fine. Idea
11 years ago
I would wear that Cyptic with the white pants. Wink
11 years ago
It looks like a pregnancy outfit to me, even with white pants.
11 years ago
Well, if you're partial to tailored clothing then I agree that it's not for you.
Fashion Talk 11 years ago
This here is my attempt to liven up the Forum with some silly talk, Fashion and the like, for the exiled Fragranticans, to build a cozy group like we had over there.
11 years ago
It does look a bit off without pants, as if someone went to work without putting on a tie and pants. But I suppose someone could pull it off with slim pants as suggested or maybe some leggings. The fashion industry presents a trend; the public makes it practical (sometimes).
Ready to wear 11 years ago
The public gets ideas from watching high class fashion shows. Some of these ideas get transformed into ready-to-wear lines which are widely sold via the department stores.

Most girls are not as skinny as the models to begin with. We do the best we can with colors and it cannot be toooo expensive. Except maybe shoes, or a classy handbag.
To walk "with an edge" ... 11 years ago
Those models walk down the runway as if they had swallowed a coat hanger. The expression on the face is numb. They walk and swirl like, "look at me, but I am so much better than you" ...
So, the industry insiders take notes sitting at the sides, and picking out what would be good for the next season.

Comes to mind the movie, "The Devil wears Prada" where the ingenue was bossed around by the high and mighty owner of the glossy magazine "Runway".

Meryl Streep really is a good actress, all the range from "Kramer vs. Kramer" to "Sophie's Choice" to "Prime" to "The Devil wears Prada".
11 years ago
I have a navy polka dot shirt dress, although longer than that one, but still above the knee and I love it, wear it loads too! Skinny jeans, opaque tights, flat knee high boots or 3" high shoeboots, or bare legs and flat sandals, my girls let me out, so I must look alright or believe me, I'd have heard about it. Wink
11 years ago
I used to collect hats, wore a different hat every day. They always made me look formal. Someone on public transportation once told me hat if I lived in New York, I would have long been "discovered". She gave me a business card but I never followed up.

When I became a new mother, all those "extras" went out the window. I never dress to impress anymore unless I am attending church, funeral, or court...and sometimes doctor visits.
11 years ago
I only ever wear a hat if its snowing, my head gets too hot otherwise, I'm a hot person! I'm getting to wear mine quite a bit at the moment though. I have a black fedora and a grey cloche.
11 years ago
If it comes to fashion I am a terrible bore Smile But I enjoy following up on fashion by reading magazines. Knowing what I would most likely never wear is a good thing, too Smile

Isn´t it strange : many features of today´s fashion date back to former decades or even centuries...it all comes back some day Smile

Mixing patterns and colours as now is "de rigeur" looks quite strange IMHO Smile Just my 2 cents Smile
This Thread Needs Pictures 11 years ago
I'm just going to post random fashion pictures I love, or find interesting, or find fascinatingly horrible!
Dior Ballgown 1953 - Fully Hand Beaded Silk 11 years ago
This is kept in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York as a piece of fashion history. I find it utterly magnificent.

Dior Ballgown Fall, 1955 - Hand Beaded Champagne Pure Silk 11 years ago
This gown is on display at the Kyoto Costume Institute of Japan as part of Western Fashion History. Totally Magnificent!

Pierre Balmain Ball Gown, 1953–1954 11 years ago
Hand beaded silk with embroidered metallic threads, pearls, sequins.

Pierre Balmain Ball Gown, 1955 11 years ago
An important Pierre Balmain Haute Couture ball gown and matching evening coat, Autumn/Winter 1955, labelled and indistinctly numbered, the boned, strapless bodice with ruched folds of ivory satin emphasising the curves of the breast in contrast to the tiny, fitted waist and enormous satin skirt with five internal layers of silk, tulle and horsehair petticoats, embroidered and appliquéd overall with scattered bunches of violets, the petals formed from organza florets in shades of purple silk, degradé ribbons, studded with emerald and amethyst pastes, with green silk embroidered foliage.

This gown reflects the post war desire for luxury and romance in dress with the use of meters of the finest silk satin, further embellished with the cheerful and optimistic little flower - the violet.

Kim Kardashian Fashion Failures 11 years ago
Now we go from the sublimely beautiful to the wretchedly ugly.
I am always repulsed by this woman's pathetically and perpetually poor taste in fashion. Yes I judge her looks because there is nothing else to judge. She has no talent, she doesn't sing, dance, or act. She has no viable professional skills to market. She lives by attempting to garner public attention in any possible way. Therefore I will say whatever I please about her appearance since she chooses to display herself constantly in public. I find her always looking cheap, poorly fitted, with inadequately supportive undergarments, and hideously grotesque styles in general.

Last edited by FloraMilena on 12.07.2013, 14:56; edited 1 time in total
YES! 11 years ago
Dlane1953:
Every one of them are stunning. That is the kind of elegance I love in evening wear. Maybe I was born in the wrong century, because to me much of today's fashion looks like something a floozy would wear to the local bar.

I totally agree with you.
11 years ago
I like the look and fashions of model Nine D'Urso ... she is the face for

"Bottega Veneta"
Last edited by Pipette on 12.07.2013, 15:03; edited 1 time in total
ROFL 11 years ago
Dlane1953:
OMG I just saw your new posts of KK. What a shocking way to be brought back to today's world!!

Well I think it is good to show the EXTREME difference. At least I will post what I love and what totally disgusts me. I wish everyone would post more. This could be a really fun thread!
1 - 25 by 41
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic The Follies of Fashion
Jump to