Search Forum

Scents of Berlin

12 years ago
I wonder what people considered an elegant fragrance at that time. If you have a look at the traditional German perfume brands, i.e. Dralle, it seems that for the ladies anything flowery was widely popular. I do not think there was a widespread understandig of complexity in perfumery in 1920's Germany – apparently a difference to France. The fact, that chemists or perfumers made it possible to copy nature's scents must have still been fascinating to the people of the 1920's – including the somewhat decadent appeal of that idea.

To catch that spirit of 1920's Berlin, you should look at soliflor fragrances!

But why take a copy if you can have the original? Why not look at those traditional German perfumes that have survived the times?

First of all, there is "Uralt Lavendel" by Lohse - a straightforward lavender water, but with a dark, mysterious touch. It was widely popular with our grandparents (my grandma also had it). And it is still available for small money.

Of course, Kölnisch Wasser was popular – and still is. But is was there before and after that decade, so it may not be regarded as typical 1920ish.

Perfume was made by small manufactures, and one of them is still producing perfumes: Harry Lehmann. Do not miss to pay them a visit when you come to Berlin! For details, look at The Parfumo Travel Guide.

The small company was founded in 1926, and they still produce some of the old fragrances, i.e. "Maiglöckchen" (Muguet) or Fougère.
12 years ago
Oh, that one is easy Smile To the picture that you draw matches "Narcisse Noir" perfectly. But we dont know, if the women of that time used it. Along with soliflors, scents with strong leather notes were in fashion as well, mainly for women
Notify about new comments
Jump to