Search Forum

Seeking review advice - update or replace?

Seeking review advice - update or replace? 11 years ago
I would like your thoughts:
We're finally in the midst of warm, humid, summer like weather so I'm giving a second chance to a few fragrances I reviewed -and panned- during the cold, dry winter months. I had a feeling they would perform better once it warmed up but I'm surprised just how much some have improved as the season changes.

This is why I seeking advice:

Do you think it's better to simply edit the original review? This approach may help highlight the substantial seasonal difference for readers. I would, of course, acknowledge that the review has been edited.

Or...

Do you think it's more fair to perfumer and company to delete and a replace the original review? This approach may be more accurate since the seasonal difference might be an idiosyncrasy particular to me. I would, of course, acknowledge the seasonal difference.
11 years ago
It would be better to edit your reviews since your original thoughts don't get lost (if you decide to keep them in there) and answer/helpful/trophy ratings stay.
11 years ago
Edit. Captures progression, which is rather interesting, imo.
11 years ago
Since the awards you might have got refer to the original review I would not edit the review and completely exchange its content.

If you think that the original review got completely wrong it is okay to delete it and start new.

I usually edit my review in such a case, put a line at the end and write al little bit underneath, explaning that my opinion has changed and why.
11 years ago
Apicius:
Since the awards you might have got refer to the original review I would not edit the review and completely exchange its content.

If you think that the original review got completely wrong it is okay to delete it and start new.

I usually edit my review in such a case, put a line at the end and write al little bit underneath, explaning that my opinion has changed and why.

Thanks Apicius et al...
Actually, it wouldn't bother me to lose the award points if I heard people making a strong case to go with a completely new review. But there seems to be a consensus -albeit small- with equally good reasons to simply edit since my reviews don't contain factual errors. So edit I shall. Thanks!
11 years ago
Apicius:
I usually edit my review in such a case, put a line at the end and write al little bit underneath, explaining that my opinion has changed and why.

That's what I do, too. I feel that my earlier opinion was valid for me at the time when I wrote it, so I don't want to completely annihilate it, but it's good to add more information as it emerges...

Wink
11 years ago
MiaTrost:
Edit. Captures progression, which is rather interesting, imo.

I second this!
I would write EDIT at the end of the original review, and explain the reasons for revisiting, with new (or unchanged) findings.
Great to see how fragrances behave under various climatic conditions.
11 years ago
I'd edit it also, unless you were 100% wrong. In that case, delete it and submit a new one.
Re: Seeking review advice 11 years ago
Greysolon:
Do you think it's more fair to perfumer and company to delete and a replace the original review? This approach may be more accurate since the seasonal difference might be an idiosyncrasy particular to me. I would, of course, acknowledge the seasonal difference.

It's funny, nobody worried at all about the reputation of the poor perfume company in this discussion. Hmm, interesting ShockedLaughing
11 years ago
well I simply don't think that a negative review damages a company that much.
companies should be open to negative critisism as well I believe.

maybe if a bunch of people really hate a scent on a level where they really dissected it while testing I could see a company getting the feeling that this is not good.

but as long as it's no simple bashing of the product / ad / celebrity / company it should be fine.
11 years ago
I agree with editing.

In any event, the negative review is likely helpful in one way or another. You hate it because it's XYZ? Well I love stuff that's XYZ! Can't tell you how many frags I love that others have panned for being too sweet. Smile
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
The philosophy of perfume houses these days seems to be: push the latest trends and hope they buy. If they don't, launch a new line and hope they buy. I've lost interest in the individual companies themselves. Nearly all are owned by conglomerates now (including many houses that call themselves "niche").

Dulcemio:
I agree with editing.
In any event, the negative review is likely helpful in one way or another. You hate it because it's XYZ? Well I love stuff that's XYZ! Can't tell you how many frags I love that others have panned for being too sweet. Smile

Honestly, I'm not too worried about damaging the reputation of huge companies nor am I afraid to write negative reviews. But this past winter I wrote a string of 4-6 reviews fairly negative reviews that, looking back, were thrown off by the effect of cold, dry weather. While that information is important -how a fragrance performs in various environments- I wasn't certain that in larger context if a positive outcome in the summer warranted a full rewrite. Everyone who has responded to this thread has made it abundantly clear which direction I should go! Thank you

DLane, I'm always astounded to find out which huge company owns a particular perfume house. What P&G has done to Rochas is sad. Athough it's almost laughable how obvious it is Clorox bought the Burt's Bees product line to convey a green image.
11 years ago
Greysolon:
it's almost laughable how obvious it is Clorox bought the Burt's Bees product line to convey a green image.

Ha! That's a good one!

Laughing
11 years ago
Greysolon,
And sometimes our nose/brain just simply does an about face on a given frag, in either direction. I will never forget how gaga I once went for this one frag initially, only to months later find it completely obnoxious, weather and seasons playing no role whatsoever. Both of my opinions were true at the time they were expressed. Such is the nature of the mysterious human olfaction. Laughing
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Greysolon,
And sometimes our nose/brain just simply does an about face on a given frag, in either direction. I will never forget how gaga I once went for this one frag initially, only to months later find it completely obnoxious, weather and seasons playing no role whatsoever. Both of my opinions were true at the time they were expressed. Such is the nature of the mysterious human olfaction. Laughing

Dulce this happens to me often.
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Greysolon,

Good point Dulce... I recently wore a particular sandalwood based scent for the first time in months and it started to wear thin after while. I'm not sure I'd write the same review now.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Seeking review advice - update or replace?
Jump to