Search Forum

Ever Got Complimented on a NICHE Perfume?

1 - 25 by 45
Ever Got Complimented on a NICHE Perfume? 11 years ago
Topics on Perfume Compliments spruce up here and there once in a while, but it's usually the mainstream /luxe that elicits squeals of pleasure from the masses.
How about niche? Has anyone noticed your super special perfume recently (or ever)?
Please share here. Don't forget to include which scent it was, and what was actually said!

The most recent I got was "Oooh, that smells really expensive". Couldn't argue, it was "Coromandel".

The best compliment on niche I ever got was my Father asking me to order a bottle of the same for Mom asap. It was Montale "Aoud Queen Roses".
11 years ago
I always get compliments and, "What are you wearing?" every single time I wear Kilian Straight to Heaven.
11 years ago
One time, I wore Keiko Mecheri eau Poudree, and my coworker said I smelled like a clean baby.
11 years ago
"Lys du desert" by Decennial / Tauer Perfumes

When I wore that, our doorman, in a conversation about ordering some perfumes for him from FragranceNet, he said, sniffing my "aura" as we talked, "Now, that's class".

We have a great thing going, because I know just what to order when he needs gifts for his acquaintances.
11 years ago
"Tobacco Vanille" left a very positive impression with one of my co-workers (female) and a sales lady ("Oh, something here smells so wonderful..like Christmas") Smile

Is it a compliment if somebody turns his/her head when passing you by ? From the look on that man´s face I would say yes Smile I was wearing the "unforgettable patchouli elixir" by Réminiscence... "Inoubliable Elixir Patchouli" that is....
11 years ago
Nice stories, y'all!

Of course, head turning counts as a compliment, PN Very Happy
11 years ago
I got back into testing Lutens, it took me three years to muster up the courage and generosity after the miserable fiasco his spicy orientals turned out to be on my skin.

Yesterday I was going out with my family wearing "Daim Blond" from a sample, and as we were going down in the elevator my husband asked if it was something well known. "In certain circles, yes", I answered vaguely. He nodded his head, said it was delectable, feminine and in very good taste, and I thought we dropped the subject. In the middle of the street he suddenly grabbed my hand and demanded to sniff it. People were giving us looks, and he just stood there with my wrist pressed to his nose for several minutes on end. He does compliment my perfume once in a while, but this was very explicit Laughing
Regarding Niche Compliments 11 years ago
I wear my perfumes as aromatherapy, and not for fashion. So, at work I wear only the light freshies. Of those that I wear in public that are niche, these below have received numerous compliments, requests to share, inquiries about name, and even a few expressed desires to go and buy.

Diptyque EAU ROSE
Eau d'Italie AU LAC
Bond 9 HIGH LINE
Bond 9 MADISON PARK
Juliet Has A Gun MISS CHARMING

Cheers to all! Very Happy
11 years ago
Only once, in a bakery in last month: Sacrebleau
11 years ago
Tar:

Wow! in a bakery? Shocked They must have a great nose.
11 years ago
Tar:

What did they say? What did they say???
11 years ago
I don's know if it counts as a compliment.

I'm a bee keeper, and bees are very sensitive about anything perfumed, they sense even the slightest trace and they aggitate around that area. If you wear even a perfumed lotion of if you just washed your hands with a perfumed soap, can't go without a costume near them. They even react to the scent of makeup... In time, I've adjusted the safe quantity that's safe to wear around them, and it's never more than a spray of the lightest perfumes possible. Like 4711, hermes EDCs,etc They still aggitate a bit around that area, but overall it's ok.

The only perfume they never made a fuss about was Ambre Narguile.
11 years ago
Bouzeos:
I don's know if it counts as a compliment.

I'm a bee keeper, and bees are very sensitive about anything perfumed, they sense even the slightest trace and they aggitate around that area. If you wear even a perfumed lotion of if you just washed your hands with a perfumed soap, can't go without a costume near them. They even react to the scent of makeup... In time, I've adjusted the safe quantity that's safe to wear around them, and it's never more than a spray of the lightest perfumes possible. Like 4711, hermes EDCs,etc They still aggitate a bit around that area, but overall it's ok.

The only perfume they never made a fuss about was Ambre Narguile.

Interesting! Do you have any idea what is different about that perfume?
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Interesting! Do you have any idea what is different about that perfume?

I have no ideea. I guess it wasn't too strong and it smells a bit like honey- but I don't know if that has anything do do with it. Maybe the tobacco note did something? I really have no clue.
11 years ago
ChapeauClack:
Tar:

What did they say? What did they say???

" - Wow, is this yours? I mean your parfume?
- Yes, it is mine.
- What is its name???"

I wrote her on a paper with the adress of the niche shop. Laughing
11 years ago
No compliments for niche, only for designer. And I've tried a ton of niche (only some are listed on my profile).
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
No compliments for niche, only for designer. And I've tried a ton of niche (only some are listed on my profile).

That's precisely my peeve! I've been perusing the two similar topics on my native language Frantica and guess what - the one on compliments for designer/mainstream frags is ten plus pages long, while the one on niche compliment getters is more like three. And to beat the dead horse some more, literally everything listed there is more or less gourmand or at least contains an instantly noticeable vanilla note which normal people's noses are apparently capable of recognizing and evaluating.

Ooh, and I forgot to mention, they also have an anti-compliment topic there to share negative and rude comments their perfume elicited. Niche features heavily on that one.
11 years ago
heh... I definetly get the ideea.

I got tons of compliments on Jessica Simpson Fancy, yet not a word about PdN Sacrebleu (which I think it smells like a major compliment getter)

tons of compliments on Pink Sugar, yet nothing about Nahema...

exemples could go on forever...
11 years ago
I have had several compliments for niche fragrances. Of course Coromandel is always complimented on...every time I wear it, I get people approaching me to ask what I'm wearing. But, we all know how wonderful that perfume is! Wink the next one is Tauer perfumes. The two most complimented ones were LADDM (Desert Marocain) #2. And #12Eau D'Epices. Mind you, that is not surprising, as they are very distinct fragrances. And I do get my comments and compliments on my Divine fragrance, because it is a very prominent rose and patchouli scent. I have also recognized a Tauer perfume on somebody, and I approached them to ask if it was the fragrance I thought it was...the look on that guys face was priceless! He was very pleased I recognized, and complimented his fragrance!
11 years ago
Chapeau,
Nothing to do with compliments, but when my intensive perfume exploration began a few years ago I took a trip around the world of niche, expecting to find treasures galore, but I ended up right back where my journey began, at Chanel. Along the way my taste did change from No. 19 to Coromandel, but it's still Chanel.
11 years ago
Just one that I can remember and it was Le Labo Musc 25. Oddly, the complimentor was a Shopkeep selling the complete line of Comme Des Garcons, some of the nichiest niche scents available, imho... but she said when I walked in with the Le Labo Musc 25 it was totally amazing and mind blowing.
11 years ago
Flavorite:
Just one that I can remember and it was Le Labo Musc 25. Oddly, the complimentor was a Shopkeep selling the complete line of Comme Des Garcons, some of the nichiest niche scents available, imho... but she said when I walked in with the Le Labo Musc 25 it was totally amazing and mind blowing.

This whole story is mind blowing Very Happy

Once I read that a man using L.Villoresi's Wild Levander went to his regular hairdresser (a woman), and the haircut lasted 3x longer than usually and the lady stayed much closer than usually breathing deep.

In my country a lot of people are smoking, and it is hard to feel their scent in the smoke clouds Crying or Very sad
11 years ago
Tar:
Flavorite:

This whole story is mind blowing Very Happy

Once I read that a man using L.Villoresi's Wild Levander went to his regular hairdresser (a woman), and the haircut lasted 3x longer than usually and the lady stayed much closer than usually breathing deep.

In my country a lot of people are smoking, and it is hard to feel their scent in the smoke clouds Crying or Very sad

I feel very sorry for smokers because I feel they are missing out on the sensitivity of certain scents. My friends that smoke tend to prefer the bigger bolder fragrances "Poison", "Amarige", "Fahrenheit", D&G "The One"...they just can't smell the more subtle scents anymore. So sad...
11 years ago
Flavorite:
I feel very sorry for smokers... they just can't smell the more subtle scents anymore. So sad...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
smokers have a better sense of smell than non smokers
All this "you lose your sense of smell when you smoke is uneducated old wives' tales I'm afraid.
It's true that smokers lose the sense of taste, but not smell, and that is because cigarette smoke paralyses the scent receptors in the nose, allowing the molecules to hang around longer, and therefore be smelt better.

Many professional noses for some of the biggest and most exclusive houses are smokers.
11 years ago
Chapeau, this episode with your husband is so lovely and romantic Aww xoxo Wink

I can remember two occasions when niche fragrances have sent men wild. The first was "Dulcis in Fundo", chosen because I had a date with a drop dead gorgeous Italian man.
Worked a treat because he said "Mmmmmm, ooooooooh, you smell good enough to eat"

The other time was also on a date (I know Wink ) and I was wearing "What We Do In Paris Is Secret". This earned me a very sensual neck nuzzling, accompanied with "you smell absolutely wonderful".

So there Laughing
1 - 25 by 45
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Ever Got Complimented on a NICHE Perfume?
Jump to