Search Forum

Ever Got Complimented on a NICHE Perfume?

26 - 45 by 45
11 years ago
Dolby:
Flavorite:
I feel very sorry for smokers... they just can't smell the more subtle scents anymore. So sad...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
smokers have a better sense of smell than non smokers
All this "you lose your sense of smell when you smoke is uneducated old wives' tales I'm afraid.
It's true that smokers lose the sense of taste, but not smell, and that is because cigarette smoke paralyses the scent receptors in the nose, allowing the molecules to hang around longer, and therefore be smelt better.

Many professional noses for some of the biggest and most exclusive houses are smokers.

Oh I didn't mean to offend anyone- I used to smoke myself, that's just been my experience with about a dozen smokers I've been friends with and that is fascinating about the paralyzed scent receptors- never heard that before! Perhaps the friends that I have that are smokers, just really had faulty olfactory bulbs in the first place and liked the bold monster sillage scents. All I know is that when I was a smoker, about 15 years ago- I had chronic migraines when I would apply any of my gorgeous big fragrances and I had nearly chronic sinus problems so I couldn't smell anything personally unless it was Tuscany Per Donna or Amarige volume... so I gave up the cigs because I couldn't part with the Fracas, the Calandre and the Lumiere.
fyi- Scientific research on the Nose 11 years ago
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17956024

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19487255
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22776624
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23422234

"
RESULTS:

Among the 1312 study participants, 3.6 % were functionally anosmic, and 18 % had olfactory dysfunction. Approximately 20 % recognized only three or less of the four tastes when presented at suprathreshold concentrations, indicating signs of taste impairment. Current smoking in general increased the risk for impairment of olfactory function (odds ratio 1.71, 95 % CI 1.19-2.47), but not the risk for taste impairment. Heavy smokers of 20 or more cigarettes/day had significant increased risks for impairment in both senses.

CONCLUSIONS:

Our results reveal that both olfactory and gustatory function are compromised in a significant proportion of the general population. Smoking increases significantly the risk of impairment of olfactory function. Our findings add an important detail to the large body of evidence that describes adverse health effects of smoking." -School of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, University of Münster, Münster, Germany. [email protected]www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18677645et cetera
11 years ago
Flavorite:
Oh I didn't mean to offend anyone- I used to smoke myself, that's just been my experience with about a dozen smokers I've been friends with and that is fascinating about the paralyzed scent receptors- never heard that before! Perhaps the friends that I have that are smokers, just really had faulty olfactory bulbs in the first place and liked the bold monster sillage scents. All I know is that when I was a smoker, about 15 years ago- I had chronic migraines when I would apply any of my gorgeous big fragrances and I had nearly chronic sinus problems so I couldn't smell anything personally unless it was Tuscany Per Donna or Amarige volume... so I gave up the cigs because I couldn't part with the Fracas, the Calandre and the Lumiere.

Hi Flavorite

First of, congratulations on managing to give up the evil weed.
I gave up smoking for 2 1/2 years myself but recently took it up again.... Arrrgh!

I have no doubt that getting chronic sinus problems because of smoking would have been an issue when it comes to smelling, however, this is besides the point of the argument since you were suffering from a specific ill.

I've never had sinus problems while smoking.
Re: fyi- Scientific research on the Nose 11 years ago
Flavorite:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17956024
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19487255
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22776624
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23422234

Thanks for this bit of research.
It is important to know who commissioned these before jumping to any conclusions however because the anti-smoking lobby is God-like these days.

I've had a quick look and, well...

1st study: "CONCLUSION: Smoking reduces olfactory function. Apparently, recovery of olfactory sensitivity after cessation of smoking appears to be exceptional."

Definition of the word "apparently":
1 - As far as one knows or can see.
2 - Used by speakers or writers to avoid committing themselves to the truth of what they are saying.Laughing ... 'Nuff said.

2nd study: "In spite of this difference, the groups ... (of smokers and non-smokers) ...did not differ significantly in olfactory threshold sensitivity." ... 'Nuff said x2

3rd study: "The effect of smoking on the sense of smell remains inconclusive." ... Okkaaayyy.

4th study: Ah, this one is interesting because it studies the impaired olfactory function in subjects who are smokers and suffer from chronic sinus problems (just like you had).

It's a bit like doing a study on people who have a cold and a blocked-up nose and concluding that (duh!) they can't smell sh1t.

Just to wrap up, I'll give you one name: Jean-Claude Ellena.

11 years ago
Flavorite:
Oh I didn't mean to offend anyone...

You didn't.
I don't get offended.
Ever.
Well, unless it's truly offensive Wink
I'm from that school of thought:
11 years ago
Laughing ...at Dolby or should I say with Dolby. Laughing What ever... I am laughing.
11 years ago
I am a non-smoking sufferer of itermittent sinus problems.
The only time my sense of smell is diminished is when I have a cold and mucus has taken over my nasal passages.

I have a smoking friend who never has sinus problems, and rarely ever caught a cold until her child entered pre-school, then colds galore. But I think most parents of young children, both smoking and non-smoking (the parents, not the children) Wink can relate to that.

Where diminished sense of smell is concerned, I wonder if there is a correlation more to the smokers with sinus problems than simply to smokers in general.
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Where diminished sense of smell is concerned, I wonder if there is a correlation more to the smokers with sinus problems than simply to smokers in general.

Very good point.
I'll second that x
11 years ago
Oh, and I forgot to mention that my smoking friend has a great sense of smell. She prefers light and subtle perfumes and she under-applies to the point that I often cannot smell her perfume, but she can.
11 years ago
Dulcemio:
Oh, and I forgot to mention that my smoking friend has a great sense of smell. She prefers light and subtle perfumes and she under-applies to the point that I often cannot smell her perfume, but she can.

Ooops, is this "'Nuff said x3?" Laughing
Stop twisting the knife Dulce, you cruel, cruel girl!

After this most enlightening of digression, perhaps we ought to get back to the original topic which is about getting complimented on our niche choices.
Very Happy
11 years ago
Okay, Dolby. Dulce out. Smile
11 years ago
Getting back to the original topic... I just remembered two other Niche fragrances that attracted compliments and curiosity:
1. Comme des Garcons 3 Eau de Toilette
2. Lostmarch Lann-Ael
11 years ago
What was the story/context Flavorite, and what did they say?
Very Happy
11 years ago
Flavorite:
Getting back to the original topic... I just remembered two other Niche fragrances that attracted compliments and curiosity:
1. Comme des Garcons 3 Eau de Toilette
2. Lostmarch Lann-Ael

1. CdG 3- I was strolling around LA in an upscale area filled with boutiques on a sunny day- so people where generally friendlier and just hanging around cafes, etc. checking each other's styles out- anyway- my sister-in-law and myself decided to stop in to make dinner reservations at a trendy Japanese Restaurant (I say trendy, only because the hostess was wearing boots and a suede mini skirt that must have cost thousands- I don't think she really needed to be a hostess for the money). When the Maître D had to go back to verify they could accommodate our party, a waitress came up to the stand and said to the hostess "ooh, yummy- someone smells goo, is that you? and she said...no, I'm not wearing anything" everyone looked around- I had just been in the boutique next door deliberating over CdG 3 versus CdG White, Wonderwood and Hinoki-decided to try CdG 3 out first. Then when the Maître D returned he inhaled deeply and smiled peacefully saying "Hmmm' that 's a lovely scent, whose wearing that one?".

2. Lann-Ael- I wore this to an acting class in Late November which is dismal and rainy where I live and this one guy was just everywhere I was for the whole 3 hours, he wanted to be my partner for all the exercises, and suddenly he just wanted to be best buddies, he was also invading my personal space a lot and I was just about to ask about his wife or mention my husband- never happened in the 6 weeks before or there after- awkward and amusing! But then a female friend in the class said - you smell like delicious baked spice cookies, yum!" I put 2+2 together.
10 years ago
I've gotten quite a few compliments on M. Micallef Patchouli and Caron Delire d' Rose. My friend told me the M. Micallef Patch smelled "beautiful". Mostly though the compliments come from Boucheron's Trouble, and Bvlgari Pour Femme.
10 years ago
If Jo Malone counts as niche...

My sister and I were standing on my Mom's porch one summer evening, and she said- "I smell blossoms in the air tonight- I wonder what they are"- I think she was smelling French Lime Blossom-
10 years ago
"L'Air du Desert Marocain"

A friend who only wears fresh, clean florals (and has heretofore stuck up her nose at my spicy/sweet/woody orientals) took a deep breath and said, "Mmmm, what are you wearing today?" I expressed surprise, and she said it smells 'fresh' and is something she would wear. Wait, what?? Shocked

This has got to be the most diversely interpreted fragrance on the planet. The reviews run the gamut.
10 years ago
Agree Dulce.
Serge Noire 10 years ago
Every time I wear Lutens' Serge Noire, I get lots of compliments, especially from men. Also, a few for Bois de Violette. Very Happy
10 years ago
Serge Noire is a wonderful perfume, soooo unique!
26 - 45 by 45
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Ever Got Complimented on a NICHE Perfume?
Jump to