Search Forum

EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members

226 - 250 by 593
11 years ago 1
Aside from a variety of topics that irritate me a bit (some as mentioned in prior posts), the one that gets me is the perfume of choice for a wedding day. You picked the flowers, the venue, the dress, the shoes, your bridesmaids, your maid of honor, and all else; why can't you pick a perfume for yourself? You're better off getting a fragrance consultation from a department store, which is just as free and more effective than getting blind advice from people on the internet.

However, I shut my typing mouth over there and complain about it here instead. Very Happy
11 years ago 1
After all that criticism about the F-site, it seems to me just fair to mention one point (maybe the only one?) where Fragrantica is better than Parfumo: it is their own journalistic content.

I like the way they put together information about the latest perfumes, although in many cases it is just some quotes from a press release. They seem to have something like correspondents, and if there is an event like the Pitti Fragranze or the Essenza, someone is there and reports the latest news.

Especially, I like their ability to keep up this work over a long period of time. Are their writers volunteers, or is some kind of payment involved?

At Parfumo, we rather focus on the user's contributions. We are currently not able, and I think we will not be able in the foreseeable future to provide something like a magazine for the community.

So, if there are events like the Pitti Fragranze in Italy or some respective events in the US, it would be great to read one or the other report in the personal user blogs or in the forum. Wink
11 years ago
Well, maybe I was a little too hard in my above comment. A forum is after all about exchanges. Opinions, life, event of the day.

But the level of incongruousness is often baffling me and I have to refrain from saying something, when like

"which scent on my camping trip" ... scent is the last thing to worry about, when being close to NATURE.

The other thing is that topics repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat ...

instead of Management closing them. Over and done.
11 years ago
There are trade journals in the Perfume industry, yes? Parfumo can solicit from within its own members to build a staff interested in reporting on the newest frags, interviews, etc., can we not?
11 years ago
Sorceress:
There are trade journals in the Perfume industry, yes? Parfumo can solicit from within its own members to build a staff interested in reporting on the newest frags, interviews, etc., can we not?

Sure! Smile
11 years ago
Hayven:
Aside from a variety of topics that irritate me a bit (some as mentioned in prior posts), the one that gets me is the perfume of choice for a wedding day. You picked the flowers, the venue, the dress, the shoes, your bridesmaids, your maid of honor, and all else; why can't you pick a perfume for yourself? You're better off getting a fragrance consultation from a department store, which is just as free and more effective than getting blind advice from people on the internet.

However, I shut my typing mouth over there and complain about it here instead. Very Happy

You got that right...Brides are famous for turning from sweet lovely princesses into malevolent despots in a few short weeks/months during wedding planning---then they can't choose a fragrance for their own special day (?) it seems odd. Not to mention- maybe it is just a custom in some places but, about 75% of the weddings I've been in/to had (just the one). The Best Man (Groom's Man), the future M-I-L or the Maid of Honor or even the Groom gives a special Perfume to the Bride- Our Best Man (also a male model with gobs of style and panache) gave me Gucci II which was perfect for the early Fall wedding outside- I still have almost a full bottle but, it worked and I didn't even have to think about asking 50 strangers what to wear to my own wedding. I guess, well, inexperience and nerves make people do strange things sometimes...
11 years ago
Dlane1953:
Flavorite--I didn't want to copy your entire quote here, but here is my response to your words.

Democracy in action. YES! Ultimately, it's all about what we the people think, not what the self-styled experts think. I have a strong dose of skepticism toward the experts in any field that relates to matters other than the most basic human needs (food, shelter, etc). The caveat here, however is that we need to be educated consumers--I don't want my purchases determined by the latest celebrity frag release. Educate the nose!
I'm looking forward to receiving these samples. Many thanks.

Yep. Knowledge is power. Enough said! Enjoy the package.
11 years ago
I just discovered Parfumo today. I've been crazy about Fragrantica ever since I discovered it earlier this year, so I feel rather a turncoat, but the perfume catalogue and sorting information here is astoundingly extensive! I'm looking all over in a daze, it's a warm, pretty machine. No inane, irrelevant comments on fragrances, reviews don't seem to suffer petty thumb down... and the all drama on the Fragrantica forums has really put me off.

Don't get me wrong, most people on the forums there are perfectly nice, there's just that handful of loud and obnoxious members yelling into the wind with fanaticism better suited to a holy war than a discussion about perfume. Only yesterday I threw in with a member that was being harassed to the point she almost left the site completely... All conducted under the mask of "politeness". The topic finally reached critical mass, vanished with no comment from moderation. Move along, nothing to see here! Apparently the same member does it regularly. I'll pass, thanks.

The downside is I just feel like I've finally started to be part of the Fragrantica community. I'll have to start here all over again, blah. Confused
I just finished adding my current "have" list. It's 9am and I have yet to sleep... Damn you OCD, filling in my other lists can wait for now. Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
Gotta start somewhere, Scarletting! There are some great resources here, both in the database and the members. Welcome!
11 years ago
Thanks Hayven. I've decided to cannibalise my previous Fragrantica comments towards newer, updated reviews here. The collection database here is so organised and neat, I love what the creators have done. I'm going to enjoy going through and completing each page for my perfumes one by one. The messy commentaries on Fragrantica seem ridiculous now. The only thing I might miss is the clickable personal detection of notes, I did find that helpful when looking for new scents.
11 years ago
Hi Scarletting, nice to meet you. Wink

You may like this feature.

www.parfumo.com/Discover/Classification/Type
11 years ago
Scarletting:
Thanks Hayven. I've decided to cannibalise my previous Fragrantica comments towards newer, updated reviews here. The collection database here is so organised and neat, I love what the creators have done. I'm going to enjoy going through and completing each page for my perfumes one by one. The messy commentaries on Fragrantica seem ridiculous now. The only thing I might miss is the clickable personal detection of notes, I did find that helpful when looking for new scents.

I do agree, sometimes it is nice to search by specific notes...like when you want a "Coffee" fragrance, etc. I love the easy on the eyes lay out here with the tabs and maybe eventually it will expand to have some kind of note specific search or a way to do a term search for notes...but for now, I search via Bing/Google and get my info and then get more info here once I've got it narrowed down.
11 years ago
A short cut to find anything is via Google.

Just type your question into the Search field and Google quickly spits out the answer.
For example:

Arabic Perfumes Fragrantica

and you get pertinent topics/posts.

or

Arabic Perfumes Basenotes

and you get their contributions
or

Arabic Perfumes Parfumo

and you get these here.
11 years ago
Cincy:
Hi Scarletting, nice to meet you. Wink

You may like this feature.

www.parfumo.com/Discover/Classification/Type

Thanks Cincy for pointing this out. I'm still learning about Parfumo's wonderful features. I hadn't discovered this yet.

Speaking of exiles, has anyone considered the age demographics of the different perfume sites? When I read the reviews/topics sometimes I cringe from the other sites. Words like "loveeeeeee", "hahahaha", or reviews that tell me "I love the designer of the perfume but not the perfume, sorrrrry!" just waste my time as I scroll down. When I want a real review that's informational, I'll come here.
Hello Scarletting 11 years ago
Scarletting:
I just discovered Parfumo today. I've been crazy about Fragrantica ever since I discovered it earlier this year, so I feel rather a turncoat, but the perfume catalogue and sorting information here is astoundingly extensive! I'm looking all over in a daze, it's a warm, pretty machine. No inane, irrelevant comments on fragrances, reviews don't seem to suffer petty thumb down... and the all drama on the Fragrantica forums has really put me off.

Don't get me wrong, most people on the forums there are perfectly nice, there's just that handful of loud and obnoxious members yelling into the wind with fanaticism better suited to a holy war than a discussion about perfume. Only yesterday I threw in with a member that was being harassed to the point she almost left the site completely... All conducted under the mask of "politeness". The topic finally reached critical mass, vanished with no comment from moderation. Move along, nothing to see here! Apparently the same member does it regularly. I'll pass, thanks.

The downside is I just feel like I've finally started to be part of the Fragrantica community. I'll have to start here all over again, blah. Confused
I just finished adding my current "have" list. It's 9am and I have yet to sleep... Damn you OCD, filling in my other lists can wait for now. Rolling Eyes

I've been here for awhile. Very Happy
11 years ago
Sorceress:
Pipette:
Sorceress:
Hello to all. I feel most welcome here vs. the other F site and although I'm not new to fragrance, I am new to a fragrance site. When I decided to join F, I thought it was an ok community of perfume lovers. Until I began to participate in the forums, and saw the cliques. The camaraderie wasn't there. Nor was a feeling of friendship. One could almost feel others being shunted away. Still, I persisted, not knowing of Parfumo. Then, the childish forums began, such as the ones others have listed earlier. On top of that, I would constantly see forum topics such as "Find me a fragrance that smells Rich", "Smells like Money", etc., and I'd start thinking, is this what people really care about? It seems as if labels and cost were more important to folks over there than what a perfume's fumes are about. On top of that, they have a really simple way to find a perfume by notes. Yet, constantly, someone would ask for suggestions on "Suggestions for a vanilla perfume with florals". And I'd think, can't these people use the site's searches themselves? Are they that lazy? I'd read the reviews posted, and many were good, but many also were written simply about who the designer was, or if they considered the perfume (such as Shalimar, for example) an "old lady's perfume" so then to the writer, it "stank", was "gross", or "elderly". The demographics weren't suiting me. I needed to find a place where intelligence prevailed, education was encouraged and warmth was prevalent. I found it here. I love perfumes, always have. I'm new to Parfumo, and I'm diligently attempting to write my reviews and post my pictures so the history of perfumes can be documented in a fashion that they deserve. Over at "F", I couldn't post my photos, either without opening another account because they don't host photos.
And a huge thank you to Apicius for welcoming me when I first joined. It felt wonderful joining this community that day and I knew I was home! I'm glad I'm here, and altho I do use Fragrantica to compare information on perfumes, this is where I feel at home.

Among questions to the members, what always got to me at F is something like, "I am going on a camping trip, please look at my wardrobe and choose for me what I should wear."
That kind of "Please choose for me" thing ... don't anybody have a nose to sniff and make decisions for yourself???

Exactly! That's what I would wonder! What do they think when they purchase their own perfumes? Do they just buy for the sake of having a stock collection? I know I myself sit in front of mine and sniff them, test them, etc., I've learned about them through the years so I know when and where is the appropriate time to wear them. But laziness prevails, I guess. It's a mind-set, too of not wanting to take the time to learn.

They do have a boring "set" of perfume questions regarding mindless appeals for non-specific recommendations.
There is also a lot of age biased discrimination in verbal terminology used, however it is amusing to consider the source.
And then the usual idiotic "panty dropper" threads abound.
Journalism 11 years ago
Apicius:
Sorceress:

Sure! Smile

This would be a good idea. Also, it is nice to have articles on particular notes or accords and derivations. Parfumo would be a nice place to see discussions on various types of sandalwood or rose and so forth.

I don't generally use the F-journalism articles for purchasing, but they are nice to have to use as a flag for potential things to be tested.
Re: Hello Scarletting 11 years ago
FloraMilena:

Yes, I noticed your similar username. So far here on Parfumo you seem nice enough so I assume you know that would not wash here.
Re: Hello Scarletting 11 years ago 1
Scarletting:
FloraMilena:

Yes, I noticed your similar username. So far here on Parfumo you seem nice enough so I assume you know that would not wash here.

I never change no matter which site I am on. If someone were to actually engage in denigratory or personally insulting comments against old people, the aged, gays, lesbians, atheists, or engage in hate speech, especially in the context of perfume choices in a perfume forum, I would speak right up. That will never change.
Re: Hello Scarletting 11 years ago
FloraMilena:
Scarletting:
FloraMilena:

I never change no matter which site I am on. If someone were to actually engage in denigratory or personally insulting comments against old people, the aged, gays, lesbians, atheists, or engage in hate speech, especially in the context of perfume choices in a perfume forum, I would speak right up. That will never change.

I stand for the same things, though it would seem we fight for them differently. That said, even if I don't respect your method I can appreciate your intent.
226 - 250 by 593
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members
Jump to