3251 - 3275 by 4531
10 years ago
Hint #2:

The person in question is fictional...

Hint #3:

Also an American expatriate...

Twisted Evil
10 years ago
So not "Yuzu Ab Irato No.9" by Perfumerie Generale?
10 years ago
Triffid:
So not "Yuzu Ab Irato No.9" by Perfumerie Generale?

No. Keep trying!

Wink
10 years ago
Well I don't think it's "Yuzu Fou" so maybe it wasn't the yuzu after all...maybe the "man" part was the direction I should be heading.
So how about "Mandarina Duck Man" by Mandarina Duck? I see fruit, I see a fictitious man and perhaps the ex-pat element could be satisfied by the chinese mandarin association?
If this is incorrect, at least I've made a good argument.
10 years ago
Triffid:
Well I don't think it's "Yuzu Fou" so maybe it wasn't the yuzu after all...maybe the "man" part was the direction I should be heading.
So how about "Mandarina Duck Man" by Mandarina Duck? I see fruit, I see a fictitious man and perhaps the ex-pat element could be satisfied by the chinese mandarin association?
If this is incorrect, at least I've made a good argument.

Nice argument--agreed. Wrong answer though.

Hint #4: the name of the citrus is NOT in the name of the perfume. The perfume name refers to the person, but is not his given name...
Twisted Evil
10 years ago
I've aligned all the clues, I understand what's required but I'm out of ideas.
Is there no one on the side lines who can sub for me?
(It's not worth exploring the Mr Darcy character - Darcy being a mandarin variety- from Pride and Prejudice, is it? No, thought not. And Parson Brown in the song Winter Wonderland- also a citrus variety and a non-person. And then there's Lemony Snicket). None are American ex-pats. I'm being very thorough....Why was Yuzu Man a step in the right direction? Caron have offered me nothing else.
10 years ago
OK, this is sad but I'm having another shot. It's a quiet day...

How about "Baudelaire" by Byredo. Baudelaire is the surname taken by the wife of fictitious author Lemony Snicket, when she remarries upon hearing rumours of his death. Although not inspired by the Lemony Snicket books, this is an imaginative, but tenuous connection, no?
10 years ago
Another hint:

Yuzu Man was not far off in a couple of different ways!
Shocked
10 years ago
This is a real stretch, but I started thinking that our ex-pat American with the citrus name that is not his official name might, in fact, be something like the defoliant herbicide cocktail used to devastating effect during warfare, none other than
Agent Orange.
Which leads to a war-related perfume...
Couldn't find anything pertaining to Vietnam and I already used the 'Nuclear Edition' series from Teufelskuche a few posts ago (which you may or may not have seen). Yuzu man might be a Japanese soul so I'm proposing this one, which also happens to contain yuzu:
"Hiroshima mon Amour" by Nez a Nez.
10 years ago
Triffid:
This is a real stretch, but I started thinking that our ex-pat American with the citrus name that is not his official name might, in fact, be something like the defoliant herbicide cocktail used to devastating effect during warfare, none other than
Agent Orange.
Which leads to a war-related perfume...
Couldn't find anything pertaining to Vietnam and I already used the 'Nuclear Edition' series from Teufelskuche a few posts ago (which you may or may not have seen). Yuzu man might be a Japanese soul so I'm proposing this one, which also happens to contain yuzu:
"Hiroshima mon Amour" by Nez a Nez.

Nice analysis. There is a war related to this protagonist, and it is indeed WWII, and you are getting closer because the name of the perfume is also the name of a film!
Wink
10 years ago
I am going to,take a stab and say Timbaktu? Where Victor Mature plays an ex pat!
10 years ago
MicallefLuv1:
I am going to,take a stab and say Timbaktu? Where Victor Mature plays an ex pat!

No, but keep the film titles coming!

WWII, surname of protagonist is a citrus but no citrus in the perfume name, ... YUZU Man was very close in a couple of other ways!!!!

Twisted Evil
10 years ago
Yeah right, so not Mr Orange from Reservoir Dogs or The Mandarin from Iron Man (though Marvel did make a perfume to go with the movie!).
10 years ago
Another hint:

the film is in black and white...

and the citrus in question is not yuzu, nor bergamot, nor grapefruit\\

Razz
10 years ago
Wow this is hard... Black and white... How about 1946 movie Notorious or the 1950 Odette..
10 years ago
Got it. "Le 3E Homme" by Caron. The movie is 'The Third Man' starring Orson Wells as Harry Lime.
(I did revisit the Carons several times but at that stage was looking for fruit clues and Japanese people).
10 years ago
Triffid:
Got it. "Le 3E Homme" by Caron. The movie is 'The Third Man' starring Orson Wells as Harry Lime.
(I did revisit the Carons several times but at that stage was looking for fruit clues and Japanese people).

Yes! Congratulations!

Very Happy
10 years ago
Wow! Great job Triffid.
The Third Man it is! 10 years ago
Cincy:
Wow! Great job Triffid.

To wrap this round up, I heartily exhort anyone who has not already seen it to go watch "The Third Man"--one of my favorite films of all time--and also to go buy a bottle of the Caron perfume, which is an excellent unisex scent, its name notwithstanding.

Very Happy
10 years ago
I think I will have to watch it (and try the perfume) after that marathon! I was such a Hitchcock buff as a teenager but have never seen that one. Apologies to Orson Welles for the misspelling of his name.
In my usual throwaway style, I hereby present an easy set of clues for the intellectually exhausted.
House and fragrances (3).

The flacons for these perfumes
Are the ugliest you'll see,
It's not that I am snobbish,
The Parfumo stats agree!

Behold the smiling sales rep
Who is paid to disagree,
"We've three and all are special,
They're collectible, you see!"

Collectible? Well maybe,
But that's really no excuse,
Not only are these creepy
But I'm questioning the juice;

Is there a female likeness
To these creatures made of glass?
If this were me, I'd surely
Be insulted - they're so crass!

Despite the SA's sales pitch,
She did not appear convinced,
For when she touched these bottles,
Well, she oh-so-subtley winced;

But if you like this singer
(Is it her? It's hard to tell..)
Then wear these with abandon
And good taste can go to hell!
10 years ago
Dont know if this fits but sure is heck are the ugliest bottles I have seen!
Nicki Minaj

Pink Friday, Minajestry and Pink Friday deluxe addition or even better Katy Perry and her Meow, Killer Queen and Purr.
10 years ago
Micallelfluv1 seems to be right! Could anything be uglier????
Shocked

I'll guess Anna Sui "Dolly Girl". Those bottles really creeped me out when I saw them, but now that I see the others, maybe they aren't quite as bad. Close, though. Very close...

Surprised
10 years ago
MicallefLuv1:
Dont know if this fits but sure is heck are the ugliest bottles I have seen!
Nicki Minaj

Pink Friday, Minajestry and Pink Friday deluxe addition or even better Katy Perry and her Meow, Killer Queen and Purr.

Well done MicallefLuv1! You win the fugly contest (not personally, of course, just your guess).

Honourable mention goes to the other nominees. I agree that Purr and Dolly Girl are also quite hideous.
There is a whole Parfumo thread devoted to this topic with Nicki Minaj's bottles receiving much comment - I believe "Minajesty" was compared to Ronald McDonald as seen through the eyes of a really bad drug trip (or something like that). Enough to frighten children!
My encounter with the SA is a true story (and the flacons look even worse in person!)
10 years ago
I just want to know if she actually designed them and truly believed them to be cute or something? I mean really??

Ok so here is my first clue...

Its is not known if it is fact or fiction... This person is a royal.
10 years ago
Hmm...something by Prince Matchabelli perhaps? I remember the old ads for 'Cachet' and the like and always thought he sounded like bogus royalty!
3251 - 3275 by 4531
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Guess that scent. A game:
Jump to