Search Forum

Caveat Emptor-- Buyer Beware Canadian Seller perfumeguru

Caveat Emptor-- Buyer Beware Canadian Seller perfumeguru 6 years ago
For anyone who may be thinking about ordering from eBay seller perfumeguru in Ottawa, Ontario, I would like to report that I have been trying to get a refund from this man, Mr. Jessa, for FIVE MONTHS.

I placed an order with him last January. He did not ship the item. He sent me a tracking number that did not appear in Canada Post's system. I confirmed with Canada Post several times that there was no such tracking number in their system. I asked this seller to please check the tracking number he provided to be sure it was correct. He ignored several requests to verify the tracking number which was very frustrating to say the least.

Finally, I said, I no longer wanted the perfume and asked him to cancel the purchase and refund me. Mr. Jessa insisted that the perfume had been shipped already. Weeks later, a package finally arrived with a totally different tracking number on it. It was not the tracking number he had given me earlier. I told him I did not want the perfume. He told me to simply give it back to the post office to send back to him as refused by recipient. I checked with USPS and with Canada Post to be sure this could be done, and they assured me it could be done and that the package would be tracked back to the shipper's address, so I refused the package on 26 February 18. Tracking showed the package left my state on 27 February 18. I notified my bank that the package was refused and was being sent back to the shipper, and my bank removed the charge from my account.

Several days later, there was no update to the tracking. I contacted this seller and advised him if the tracking did not update soon, he should contact Canada Post about it. I never heard anything about it again, and I forgot about it. Then, on 02 May 18, I received a letter from my bank to advise me that FIVE MONTHS later Mr. Jessa claimed he never received the package and disputed my refund. I checked the tracking number again, and tracking showed the package left my state 27 February 18, but there was no update beyond that point. I contacted both USPS and Canada Post.

USPS told me they had to manually key in the number because the bar code was not scanning, but they keyed it in and shipped the package out of my state on 27 February 18, as tracking showed, and insofar as they could determine, the package was returned to Mr. Jessa. Canada Post told me they did not see the package back in their system, but it was entirely possible that the package had made it back to Mr. Jessa. Canada Post told me only Mr. Jessa could request a trace on the package and file an insurance claim. If the package had been lost, they would reimburse him for the value and the cost to ship it. I then contacted Mr. Jessa and told him what I had been told, and I asked him to please file his claim and refund my money.

Firstly, Mr. Jessa said he knew I indeed did not have the package, but he claimed he could not refund me through the old auction links because they were not working. He suggested he send me a refund via my PayPal account insteand. I advised I do not have a PayPal account, but he could send the money to my dear friend's PayPal account, and she would direct deposit the funds from her bank to my bank.

I provided her PayPal email address to Mr. Jessa at least 5 times. He claimed he could not decipher the email address. It was an ordinary email address. Her name followed by @aol.com. Yet, he insisted he could not decipher it. Next, we sent him a request for the money via her PayPal account. Now, there was no question that he had a readable, valid PayPal email address to send the refund. Unsurprisingly, he found a new reason why he could not refund my money.

He denied the PayPal request for the money and told me that he could not refund what I had paid because (1) PayPal had charged him seller fees; and, (2) he had paid to ship the perfume. I told him seller fees should not be a problem since the sale had failed, but either way, the buyer is not responsible for his seller fees. As for the postage, I advised him that his insurance claim would refund the package value AND thepostage if the package could not be located. He replied that it is not easy to file an insurance claim. I replied that it had nothing to do with me as I am not Canada Post's customer, and I am not a PayPal account holder, either. I again asked that he refund my money.

Next, Mr, Jessa told me to send him yet another request for a refund minus his seller fees, shipping fees, etc., and he would send me send me a partial refund of $87.80. I was/am appalled. Despite the fact that I am not responsible for his operating expenses, I sent another request for the reduced amount. As of today, he STILL has not refunded a single penny of my money.

This was the second purchase I made from this seller. There was a problem with the first purchase, too. After the first purchase, I received no tracking number after a week. I finally contacted him and asked for my tracking number. He replied that he had shipped out a number of packages, and mine had been overlooked. He later shipped out my package more than a week late. That first package finally arrived and the perfume looked okay, so I wrote off the problem as forgivable human error and did not hold it against him. I thus made this second purchase from him which I bitterly regret.

He has kept my money for FIVE MONTHS, made ridiculous excuses about refunding me, and wants me to cover his selling expenses. I feel Mr. Jessa has been unfaithful to his buyer in this transaction. He should have been watching for his package in March, and whence it did not arrive, he should have filed a trace on it and filed on the insurance claim then instead of letting this problem fester until 02 May 18. Now, after FIVE LONG MONTHS, he still will not say whether or not he has filed an insurance claim even. It could very well be that he has not filed a claim because the package did arrive back in Ottawa, Ontario, and he is keeping both my money and the perfume. I do not know this to be a fact, but I find it rather odd that he has not filed an insurance claim after all this time, do not you, too? If the situation were reversed, I would have initiated a trace on the package in March, and I would have filed a claim on the insurance no later than first of April. Would you not have done the same if your package had not been received and you owed your buyer a refund??

Meanwhilst, PayPal claims it can not send a refund because I opened the claim through my bank. My bank claims Mr. Jessa and PayPal are blocking the refund based on the fact that the tracking does not show the package delivered back to Mr. Jessa.

The bottom line is I have been waiting almost HALF A YEAR to receive my refund for a single bottle of perfume. I do not have the perfume, and I do not have a refund. Even after I sent him a request for a lesser amount than I paid, he STILL has not refunded me. I feel this is unprofessional to say the least. Not to refund a customer even though you know the customer does not have your package and only you can file a claim and sort this out is nothing short of disgraceful business practice. Warning: You could face the same or similar problems if you purchase from this seller, so buyers beware.
6 years ago
What a nasty affair, Oriane! Thanks for the warning.
6 years ago
You are welcome, MiaTrost. It has been ghastly. I hope no one else goes through what I have been through with this seller. PayPal told me he should not have blocked my refund since I do not have his package as he is well aware, but they insist it is my bank and not they who are blocking the refund. They consider his blocking my refund to be fraudulent activity and have flagged his profile accordingly to watch him. That is all well and good, but it does not get my money back. Sad
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Caveat Emptor-- Buyer Beware Canadian Seller perfumeguru
Jump to