Search Forum

EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members

51 - 75 by 593
11 years ago
I'm not here to knock Fragrantica or Basenotes or any other site either but - one thing is true about Fragrantica - the censorship and control.

Reading these posts I know now why, when I tried to open the link from Sherapop's profile on Fragrantica to her own website (not Parfumo), it showed me that the site was blocked. I thought there was something wrong with the link but it was actually Fragrantica. Hmm. Oh well, I can access it perfectly now so I'm happy.
11 years ago 1
Briefly, one thing I didn't see mentioned is the advertising on Fragrantica. It seems to get more bizarre and loopy all the time. Lately, I've gotten things like, "CHECK YOUR CRIMINAL RECORD!" and "DO YOU NEED REHAB?" in big, shouty font and bright colors. Not exactly something I want my colleagues to see on my computer screen. Embarassed
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Briefly, one thing I didn't see mentioned is the advertising on Fragrantica. It seems to get more bizarre and loopy all the time. Lately, I've gotten things like, "CHECK YOUR CRIMINAL RECORD!" and "DO YOU NEED REHAB?" in big, shouty font and bright colors. Not exactly something I want my colleagues to see on my computer screen. Embarassed

ROFL. I have all kinds of Ebay perfume listings and shoe sites popping up. Those ads are a dead give away! Evil or Very Mad
11 years ago
Must be the background checks I run at work that triggers them. It's still annoying.
11 years ago
Ladies, Big Brother is watching you!

The Google Browser and certainly a number of cookies keep track of the sites you visit, and they use these data to personalize Google ads and others.
11 years ago
Apicius:
Ladies, Big Brother is watching you!

The Google Browser and certainly a number of cookies keep track of the sites you visit, and they use these data to personalize Google ads and others.

At one point, I began to become creeped out by the stalking ads which clearly revealed knowledge of what I was recently browsing. A Facebook friend informed me that it is possible to opt out of targeted ads. You click on the little box located somewhere on the ad block and indicate that you wish not to be targeted. (Of course, for it to work, you must do this on every machine and gadget you use...) Then they just send you random ads.

So I guess it's your choice: do you want to be harassed until you buy something that you were looking at, or do you prefer to be harassed forever about items in which you have no interest? Maybe the latter is better, on reflection...

Rolling Eyes
11 years ago 2
Anyway, we have no ads here and there will never be any, at least not for logged in users. Parfumo is non commercial, nobody here relies on ads to fill his bank account.
11 years ago 1
Apicius:
Anyway, we have no ads here and there will never be any, at least not for logged in users. Parfumo is non commercial, nobody here relies on ads to fill his bank account.

Yet another reason why this place is so great!

Very Happy
11 years ago
I also appreciate that parfumo's page banner isn't a big splash of eye-catching color. Makes it easier to goof off discretely at work. Laughing
Last edited by Dulcemio on 10.11.2012, 22:39; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago 1
Sherapop:
Apicius:

Yet another reason why this place is so great!
Very Happy

+1!
11 years ago 2
If this site can claim the middle-ground between the elitism of Basenotes and the populism of Fragrantica I will be happy.
11 years ago 1
Seatonica:
If this site can claim the middle-ground between the elitism of Basenotes and the populism of Fragrantica I will be happy.

Your'e right Sea I diffidently felt out of place in Basenotes
I thought it was one big Sausage-fest if you know what i mean
11 years ago 1
After being here for a few days, every time I go to Fragrantica to check what's new, I get more and more disgusted, especially with the perfume section of the forum.....all the countless duplicate threads, not to mention that fact that most of them are not even coherent enough to understand what the hell the authors are trying to say or asking for Evil or Very Mad
For example, WTH is this???

best inexpensive perfums for woman!

He wears 1 million what should I wear to impress him?

Please, help me find a signature fragrance! I'm tired of wasting money

ever felt alittle embarrised by your huge collection?
11 years ago 1
The endlessly duplicated threads are a big turnoff for me. Same topics posted at the same time, in the same section of the forum as well as in other sections of the board. People just talk over each other and no-one is listening. The forum is a MESS.
11 years ago
Reminds me of a fish market with all the fish wives trying to out yell each other Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
Olga1780:
For example, WTH is this???

best inexpensive perfums for woman!

He wears 1 million what should I wear to impress him?

Please, help me find a signature fragrance! I'm tired of wasting money

ever felt alittle embarrised by your huge collection?

This is soooooo funny!
Laughing
11 years ago 1
Fragrantica has good points, but it can be hard to get decent advice over there if you're a newbie.

Newbie: Hi! I'm looking for a special gourmand perfume to wear to my prom. Any suggestions?

"Expert": Try L'Air du Desert Marocain!
11 years ago
I find the redundancy at Fragrantica to be nothing short of eye gauging, at this point. Maybe being sick is making me short tempered but I no longer have patience nor understanding for the combination of nonsense and politics that go on over there.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Fragrantica has good points, but it can be hard to get decent advice over there if you're a newbie.

Newbie: Hi! I'm looking for a special gourmand perfume to wear to my prom. Any suggestions?

"Expert": Try L'Air du Desert Marocain!

Or I also love it, when someone is stating that they are a student and on a tight budget, and the seasoned ones come running and tripping over each other with Lutens and Bond suggestions. Laughing
11 years ago
Well since this forum on the international site is "fresh" you can keep an eye on it and don't make it redundandent as well Wink
11 years ago
Good to see so many known faces here Smile I was invited here via facebook, so I had no idea the name was censored even in PMs- how can you censor a name in PMs??? WTF?
Someone must feel seriously threatened here. With good reason, obviously.
I'm still active overthere in the forum, but there are fewer and fewer threads I wish to participate in. The examples of lame topics & lame answers that Olga gave is the F forum in a nutshell.
As for the administrators... erm. what can I say. Sometimes I think they're on certain members' payroll. At first glance it seems to be totally random which threads are being deleted out of the blue and which are not. Who can say anything and who can barely say "hi" before they're booted.. Everything a little bit out of the box is offensive overthere. Some people need a life or some anger management therapy.
Well, it's all been said already.

Anyway, I've made some great friends at Fragrantica and I learned a lot there as well. My final move form there to here will be a gradual process, but I have no doubt where I will end Smile
11 years ago
Part of the problem is that Fragrantica is grossly understaffed in terms of moderators for a site of that size. There are three people assigned to moderate a forum that has anywhere from 150 to 350 members online at any given time, and it simply doesn't work.
11 years ago
I thought I would miss it. I pop up over there, read a few threads, yawn, leave. Nope, don't miss it at all. That place is beginning to look like a ghost town.
11 years ago
LiliumLibido:
I thought I would miss it. I pop up over there, read a few threads, yawn, leave. Nope, don't miss it at all. That place is beginning to look like a ghost town.

You may not be missing it but a few peeps are asking after you ... How many sucar lumps? One or two? Wink
11 years ago
Dolby:
LiliumLibido:

You may not be missing it but a few peeps are asking after you ... How many sucar lumps? One or two? Wink

ROFL @ peeps. I think I know who they are! Laughing
51 - 75 by 593
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members
Jump to