Search Forum

Adopting a kitten or 2

1 - 25 by 49
Adopting a kitten or 2 11 years ago
So I have decided to finally adopt a kitten (possibly two) after debating it for the last few years. I used to travel a lot and didn't want to leave the cat alone, but now that I travel less I think it's OK now. Here is a video of the kittens I am interested in.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uIQPE7r6tU&feature=yo utu.be

I am not very good with names; they are all named after places in Georgia state, where they were found. Their names are Savannah, Dalton, and Rome (I don't know the black cat's name). I would like to pick a different name, but I'm very bad at choosing one. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a little info about the kittens (same description on the video page):

"We're looking to adopt some kittens, mostly the long-haired one and the kitten at the bottom of the cage that jumps up. But we need help with name ideas!

These kittens were rescued from Georgia and were found malnourished and with respiratory infections. One of them has an infected eye, but it is improving a lot. With antibiotics and a little TLC, they are well on their way back to being rambunctious little kittens."
11 years ago
Ahhhhhhhhhhh Hayven, they are darling kitties. So playfull, I see knocked over perfume bottles in the future. Ha! Ha!

This will be fun helping you find names, there are cat lovers here.

I will be back with a name or two or three. Laughing

I"m back...........

How about perfume names?

Magie Noir Arrow Magie
Bandit
Lanvin
That is a start, will be back for more.
11 years ago
Thank you Cincy! I'm liking Bandit because the boy is a very very sneaky and hyper little thing.
11 years ago
How about Cedar.?

I do like Bandit though.
11 years ago
I am so happy to see that you'll be welcoming the divinity of felinity into your home soon!

How about "Fracas" and "Bandit"? That would make a great pair of siblings!

Smile
11 years ago
Tuxedo kitties! They're adorable, Hayven.
11 years ago
For some reason I have it in my head that cats respond to two syllable names. So that's what I generally go with, although anyone with a cat will tell you cats choose their own names.

In reality, all my cats end up with multiple names. My youngest Burmese is officially named Coco but is invariably called Cokey. When she's not called Cokey she's called Minna, Meema or Coquette and so it goes. Ridiculous I know.

Get two kitties if you can.
Last edited by Seatonica on 16.01.2013, 03:02; edited 1 time in total
11 years ago
So we are not the only ones who do this!
Our cat is officially named : Birgitte (her first owner is a fan of Switzerland), which generally gets shortened to Birgit.
When we tallk sternly to her, we use her full name and when we dote on her, we use the totally ridiculous nickname "kleine poes" (small pussycat).
A ridiculous name, because since growing up, she is possible the largest female cat I've ever seen.

BTW, cats are carnivorous species. As such it is equally laughable to give them kibble, which contains a ton of carbs. Since switching to liquid low/non-carb foods, our cat had no problem losing weight.

Which leads to the next remark. She got sterilized at a rather young age, which may explain the huge amount of surplus skin. When we had the money, we would have her operated on so she can be truly majestic w/o dragging so much belly skin around. Especially since she's so fit: shortly after she was with us, she got scared and jumped up almost 2metres onto a dividing wall. A-ma-zing for a cat of that size and weight! CoolShocked

PS: when you train them very young, they may get used to a leash. Ours doesn't but a friend of ours walks her male cat around the block which we find totally charming! It can substitue having to take her/him in a cage for short distances.
11 years ago
DutchSniffer:
So we are not the only ones who do this!

There are thousands of others like you! I actually call nearly no friend or family member by their given name. This is one reason why using sherapop for my perfume friends--at my blog, here, and at Facebook--makes perfect sense! She is my perfume persona!!!!!

Very Happy
11 years ago
DEFINITELY GET TWO!! Young cats will bond with each other, and play like crazy and snuggle and it's SO CUTE!

GET TWO, GET TWO, GET TWO!!!
11 years ago
and yes, as I briefly read DutchSniffer say, they need GRAIN-FREE, HIGH QUALITY PROTEIN foods.

I have an 18-year old kitty who nearly died when he was 11 years old from chronic and recurring health problems, but then I switched him to grain-free and he quickly got healthy and has never been back to the hospital. He's doing fantastic at 18!

That's his beautiful face in my photo album, second from the right.
11 years ago
I am convinced to get two, as they look so adorable together. My boyfriend wants to name one of them Amalia, so we will go with that and probably have a name change along the way. Very Happy I do like Bandit still. Maybe if one of them gets sneaky or naughty, that will be their nickname.

I am also interested in walking the cats; I had a piano teacher who did that with her Persian. People were astounded how calm and cool she (the cat) was when they saw her on the sidewalk.

Thank you for the info on non-carbs; luckily the place the kittens are staying at are at a natural/organic food pet store, and all their cat food is grain-free. I'm still waiting to hear from the rescue after I sent in to adoption application; it's been about 4 days now. Sad
11 years ago
Let us know when the kitties are in their loving home.
Also the names you picked after you have the kitties.
My favorite is Bandit.
11 years ago
Hayven:
I am convinced to get two, as they look so adorable together. My boyfriend wants to name one of them Amalia, so we will go with that and probably have a name change along the way. Very Happy I do like Bandit still. Maybe if one of them gets sneaky or naughty, that will be their nickname.

Two is a great idea: they can chum around when you're away or busy!
Very Happy
11 years ago
Sherapop:
Hayven:

Two is a great idea: they can chum around when you're away or busy!
Very Happy

Yes two is good! We were going to buy my Mother in Law a rescue kitten for her birthday but ended up getting the three that were kept together, as we couldn't bear to part them!
11 years ago
I have a neighbor who walks her cat (sans lead) around the block every day. Our boy Burms has taken to walking on a lead - it's my husband's task to take him out for his early morning stroll each day.
11 years ago
Cincy:
Let us know when the kitties are in their loving home.
Also the names you picked after you have the kitties.
My favorite is Bandit.

I will! Right now the rescue said to anticipate around February 1; one of them ended up getting a respiratory infection, and they want the kitties to recover from their spaying too.
11 years ago
Yes, best to wait until fully recovered.

Looking forward to first part of February for the update on kitties.
11 years ago
I know that I can speak for everyone around these parts when I say that we are anxiously awaiting photo ops!!!!!!
Laughing
11 years ago
little update...we'll be picking up the kittens on Saturday. We chose the names Bandit and Amalia. Right now they are coasting on pain medications from spaying, then they should be good to come home finally! Gratuitous pics to follow.
11 years ago
Pictures.....Parfumo godmothers we are going to see pictures of the kitties, don't remember if GF posted.

Thanks Hayven for the update.
11 years ago
What made you choose Amalia?
That's not a fragrance, but the name of the first-born from the Dutch prince (soon to be king) William-Alexander and Máxima. She'll be the first in line to become queen after him.
11 years ago
Hayven:
little update...we'll be picking up the kittens on Saturday. We chose the names Bandit and Amalia. Right now they are coasting on pain medications from spaying, then they should be good to come home finally! Gratuitous pics to follow.

How exciting! Can't wait to see kitty photos flooding Parfumo!

Very Happy
11 years ago
DutchSniffer:
What made you choose Amalia?
That's not a fragrance, but the name of the first-born from the Dutch prince (soon to be king) William-Alexander and Máxima. She'll be the first in line to become queen after him.

Really? I didn't know that. My best friend suggested it, and she just had her dog pass away (we both grew up with him since he was a puppy, 14 years young). So I wanted her to be a part of the naming process too.
1 - 25 by 49
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Adopting a kitten or 2
Jump to