Search Forum

Experienced Noses Needed

Experienced Noses Needed 11 years ago
Sample Pass U.S. Only.

I need about 5 volunteers who would be willing to test a few of my vintages for authenticity and freshness. I have created a list in hopes to get a few willing participants. It would be nice if each volunteer could chose one fragrance to review. I will be using dipstick vials and the same rules apply as previous passes.

Anne Klein II
Germaine Monteil Bakir
Lucien Lelong Balalaika
Carrington
Chanel 22 Cologne
Chanel 22 Toilette
Coty Imprevue
YSL Opium
Avon Occur
Sonia Rykiel Septentine Sens
11 years ago
Well its been more than 24 hours and still no volunteers. Maybe I should turn this into a giveaway?

If anyone is interested in sampling this lot of vintages, I can hold a drawing on Sunday February 10. I will just pick a name from a box if I get any entries.
11 years ago
I wish I could help, but I don't know any of these perfumes well enough to be of any assistance to you. Sorry! Crying or Very sad
11 years ago
Technically, I know they are all authentic but I suspect the Sonia Rykiel might be close to turning. I'm really looking for someone who knows how to detect notes and just tell me if these fragrances are worthy of gifting/swapping.

Some people talk about how vintages are higher quality with better ingredients. I just thought it would be a good way to share some of what I have considering I won the Flac's Fragen two months in a row.
11 years ago
I sort of feel like digindirt. I have quite a few vintage frags and may could help with the Chanel 22's and YSL Opium, but I couldn't couldn't guarantee anything.
11 years ago
Scentimental, you should volunteer! I say that because Digindirt seeks out her vintage perfumes in antique stores and makes sure they haven't gone off before purchasing. I've tried some of her treasures and they are the bomb. Exclamation Vintage lovers, you guys should be swarming over this one. Idea

I've tried the Anne Klein II and this is what it smells like:

11 years ago
Scentimental, the only one I am questioning is the Sonia Rykiel, I know the others are all fresh. Like I said, I was just trying to offer something rare to those interested in vintages since I won so many luxuries in Flacounner's giveaway.

Cryptic, that photo is dead on. Sexy sexy sexy.
11 years ago
I'm wearing the Imprevu right now. Review to follow, but suffice it to say for the moment that I rated it at 100%.
11 years ago
Digindirt:
Scentimental, the only one I am questioning is the Sonia Rykiel, I know the others are all fresh. Like I said, I was just trying to offer something rare to those interested in vintages since I won so many luxuries in Flacounner's giveaway.

Cryptic, that photo is dead on. Sexy sexy sexy.

I wish I could help on the SR, but that's one perfume line that always smells bad to me. There are very few that make me want to scrub myself and Sonia Rykiel is one of them.
11 years ago
Scentimental:
I wish I could help on the SR, but that's one perfume line that always smells bad to me. There are very few that make me want to scrub myself and Sonia Rykiel is one of them.

Omg I gave my right arm for that Rykiel! I had to have it but when I got it, it smells like a chypre, maybe it's supposed to smell that way. I met a lady at Marshall's who was talking about this fancy perfume she bought in Paris. I looked it up on eBay and there it was. Sonia Rykiel Sepentine Sens. The notes appealed to me but I'm not eBay savvy so I waited until I got a swap for it. It kind of smells like Magie Noir but I expected it to be a little warmer.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to start sending surprise packages to my hired noses...
11 years ago
I'm giving Septieme Sens by Sonia Rykiel a second wearing tonight. It is pretty depraved and absolutely not for anyone who doesn't care for animalics. I'm getting lots of civet, castoreum and indolic jasmine paired with boozy fruit and a very pronounced and lasting carnation. I don't often run across a perfume that I can't compare to anything at all, but this one is pretty unique. I wouldn't go so far as to say I wouldn't wear it out of the house but I certainly wouldn't wear it to work. In a perfect world, this perfume would have been marketed as a niche called "Freak" and sold in a black cube with a silver snail on top...oh, wait. Seriously though, I can understand why Septieme Sens flopped as a mainstream release, as it is way too daring to have a broad appeal. Great stuff, and I'm so happy I got to try it and get my freak on a little. Thanks DiD! Smile
11 years ago
Cryptic you make it sound down right skanky. As soon as these nasty germs I picked up from somewhere wear off, I might try to give it an all day wearing. I work outside so I should be safe. So far I have only tested it at bedtime, it has no sweetness whatsoever. To my nose it's just bitter and bitter.

Thanks for braving this one out for my Cryptic, my involuntary volunteer! Very Happy
11 years ago
Hello Digindirt,

Well you know I am far from being an expert but should you need my thoughts about these vintages especially Chanel 22 edt & cologne, Bakir and the rest of what you wish to send, then my best effort to give you a review/feedback. You know where I am. Have a great weekend. Cheers.
11 years ago
Digindirt:
Cryptic you make it sound down right skanky. As soon as these nasty germs I picked up from somewhere wear off, I might try to give it an all day wearing. I work outside so I should be safe. So far I have only tested it at bedtime, it has no sweetness whatsoever. To my nose it's just bitter and bitter.

Thanks for braving this one out for my Cryptic, my involuntary volunteer! Very Happy

That's the thing. I see that the "skanky" ones in your collection (BaV, Boudoir) have a good dose of vanilla in the base to temper the civet. Septieme Sens has some sweetness when it opens by virtue of the ylang, but you're right -- it's pretty hardcore. I just made it sound even more filthy, didn't I? Hee! For what it's worth, I loved it. Twisted Evil
11 years ago
Ok Cryptic, so that means that vanilla is my friend!

Now, today is Sunday and while I never got any official volunteers, I am willing to send to those who inquired about specific fragrances. I will hopefully be able to send all out no later than Tuesday.
11 years ago
Thank you Digindirt, I hope you are now germ free. Wink if not I can wait for the package and I'm sure the others feel the same.
11 years ago
My long overdue impressions of Coty's Imprévu, and I apologize for the delay. This is an elegant combination of aldehydes, leather, oakmoss and woods. The leather note is of the non-bitter variety and doesn't give an animalic impression, while the woody drydown is to die for.

Although aldehydes and oakmoss have fallen out of favor, they are so subtle and delicate in the context Imprévu that I doubt even people that denounce those notes as "old ladyish" would be offended. In fact, this perfume is so wearable and loveable that it reminds me of Chamade, another graceful, refined classic. Although they don't smell similar, they both evoke images of ladies in white gloves and hats at a high tea. This is a polished scent that harkens back to the old Coty masterpieces like Chypre and Emeraude, as opposed to presaging the monolithic mess that the company would become at the end of the century.

If I ever run across a good vintage bottle, I'd agonize over whether to hoard it for my own use or send a decant to all my fragrant friends. DiD, on the other hand, didn't hesitate to share the wealth. Thanks so much for your generosity. Smile
11 years ago
Cryptic:
If I ever run across a good vintage bottle, I'd agonize over whether to hoard it for my own use or send a decant to all my fragrant friends. DiD, on the other hand, didn't hesitate to share the wealth. Thanks so much for your generosity. Smile

Thanks Cryptic, I'll take that as a compliment but I never turn down the chance to use a Free "hired" nose. Wink
11 years ago
Most of you should be receiving mail today. Happy V Day.
11 years ago
Jumping up and down here. LOL

Happy Valentine Day to you Digindirt and Parfumo. V hug V hug V hug
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Experienced Noses Needed
Jump to