Search Forum

Sycophancy and Brown Nosing

1 - 25 by 106
Sycophancy and Brown Nosing 11 years ago
Please report all spotted cases here ... Very Happy
On a more serious note, is there anything more pathetic than people who live their lives based on the principle of "let's pull the wool over your eyes while I greedily lick your butt hole"?
(Granted, It takes great coordination skills, and for that alone, I take my hat off to them.)

Saying this, I am, constantly amazed that this game of goodie-two-shoes is as discreet as a red flag to a bull to all and sundries, and yet, seems to pass unnoticed by the object(s) of affection.

It goes on everywhere ... The workplace being a favourite playground for such individuals.

Question is: Do you think everything is fair game when it comes to currying favours?

Discuss ...
11 years ago
I will say that a close but distant relationship with wealthy people in my personal life has been rewarding. They share info that im not exposed to otherwise. They hook me up with their connections.
Most recently I got a referral to an excellent school for my son. I had never heard of this school but my connection assures me that getting in won't be a problem.
Some politicians I know personally, while not wealthy, have access to massive amounts of information - laws and such, that I need to continue my quest for the "best" possible education.
I consider myself lucky to have rhis much exposure to those in the know. They help me because they know the sacrifice I have made to help myself.
11 years ago
I know what you are talking about Digindirt and there is a massive difference between getting help in whatever form based on sincere mutual respect and being sycophantic.
The end result may be the same but it is the manner in which a relationship is being conducted that matters here.
11 years ago
Ummmm, you might have to be extra cordial to a contractor who has several thousands of your dollars and the job is only half complete?

Sometimes you have to be extra kind to your neighbors so they won't let their ivy grow into your yard.

It might be a good idea to stay on good terms with your child care provider just in case you get stuck working late one day.

I think it's ok to give respect to those in a position of power provided they give you the same respect. I try to use titles when speaking to professionals such as Dr. Clark, never first name even if they say its ok. Even the wives of doctors, I try to address as Mrs. _______.

When you see someone's name listed as giving a sizable donation to something that's important to you, they have in a sense earned a certain status even if its only in your own eyes. You don't treat them any differently, you just know in the back of your mind that their donation has made a positive impact on your life.

If I'm getting off the subject please let me know.
11 years ago
All your examples are valid and could, in theory, fall within the remit of this topic.
The way you describe them however, makes me think that it isn't the case.

Here are definitions of what I am talking about:

Sycophant:
A self-seeking, servile flatterer; A fawning parasite.
Obsequious
Bootlicker, Brownnoser.
11 years ago
Ok then yes, that does describe many of my coworkers.

It also describes many members of various churches throughout the country but I had better not say that. Twisted Evil
11 years ago
We have a charge nurse that was recently hired (less than 6 months ago) to be the head of our department. For the record, I did apply for the job but did not get it. The one who got the job has less experience than I do, and she did not work for the department except for a couple of days as a "float" to our unit. Needless to say, a majority of the staff was unhappy and were boggled with the decision of her hire.

There is a coworker who is very much a brown noser, and he sucks up to her big time. His reasoning to me is that she is really a nice person once you get to know her. I don't doubt she is; I have talked to her a handful of times, and I haven't had any problems. I doubt she knows he's doing it. But there is a lot of hearsay how unprofessional her manner can be. One time this charge nurse told another nurse that it was "unacceptable" to do a certain thing when she herself did it 2 days prior!

I wouldn't dream of brown-nosing her...so I don't get why this one coworker does. Maybe he has a crush on her--I don't know.

In general, I'm not comfortable being a brown-noser. I show my worth through my work and dependability. I asked for a favor once from my old boss to interview my classmate from school...and it backfired horribly. My boss said she thought my friend would be like me, but my friend blew the interview badly. So I haven't asked for a favor from anybody since.
11 years ago
At work I am the person who says what everybody is thinking. They have to keep things bottled up or they might seem like a troublemaker. While they are busy living in a fantasy I am busy "keeping it real"

So what I'm the Black Sheep at work, it encourages me to stay! Cool
11 years ago
You'll be happy to know, Dolby, that I am constitutionally incapable of sycophancy and seem even to be afflicted with a Socrates complex, which makes it virtually impossible for me to resist doing the strict antithesis of what a sycophant would do!

Some say that I'm "self-indulgent" in this regard. I prefer to think of myself as brutally honest.

Twisted Evil
11 years ago
One of the sycophants on that other site once wrote a long, drawn out treatise on how she thought those of us on Dolby's individual topic were just a bunch of ass-kissers (of Dolby). Ironic, because, amongst that group of Dolbyettes, if you will, I have not encountered a group of people who are less sycophantic and more shoot-from-the-hip, independent thinking types, and who are not afraid to state their honest opinions even though it might not sit well with certain others, including Dolby. I think this lack of sycophantism is one of the things that draws us to one another.
11 years ago
I fully agree Miss Dulcemio ... Now assume the position please, so I can plant a great big smacker on your posterior. Laughing
11 years ago
The flesh crawling stuff going on has nothing to do with Ms D and indeed goes on without her Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
That thread was amazing. Nobody ever fought and a great time was had by all involved, which is more than I can say for the war zone that was some of the other individual topics. Very Happy
11 years ago
I like smart people.
11 years ago
Digindirt:
I like smart people.

+1. Being hilarious doesn't hurt, either. Wink
11 years ago
I try!

Seriously, without getting too far off topic, I thought that Dolby's comments were almost always hilarious. Even this topic, only a guilty person would be offended right?

During my first days I asked a question, only Dolby replied sarcastically I might add. I was rolling on the floor laughing my butt off. I'm not sure why people took offense to many of the things she said...especially when they were true. Oh, I know I know, truth hurts. Boo Dolby.

If I witnessed a serious exchange of hurtful words, I simply ignored it and removed myself from the topic - Easy.

What bothered me was when people began lashing out at me to get back at Dolby or when they used me to get next to Dolby. That was easy too, I just forwarded her the messages and let her deal with them.

THE END
11 years ago
ShockedShockedShockedShocked

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Digindirt:
I like smart people.

+1. Being hilarious doesn't hurt, either. Wink

+1

HRH Emperor Oliver adds another voice to the crowd:

+1

Wink
11 years ago
While we're reminiscing, I remember the only time we had trouble in Dolbyville. Somebody posted a photo of a semi-nude hottie and we got reported for ogling handsome men in the privacy of our own thread. Evil or Very Mad
11 years ago
Aaaah! Ogling, happy days!!!
11 years ago
I'm with Dlane please bring them on. You must share.
1 - 25 by 106
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Sycophancy and Brown Nosing
Jump to