Search Forum

Parfumo/Fragrantica

1 - 25 by 177
Parfumo/Fragrantica 12 years ago
I want to thank to the former Fragranticans for suggesting me to go to Parfumo. It's a very nice site but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth I'm not criticizing this is just my honest opinion. I feel that Parfumo is colder then Fragrantica. At Fragrantica I think the people are more friendlier and the topics more fun. I'm not bad mouthing Parfumo. Maybe we can add more fun topics like Match an Outfit a Picture or a Celebrity to a Perfume add more games. But that is just my opinion.
12 years ago
Well I think this has the potential of becoming a "warmer", more fun place - as the German site also is. I suppose we just need to be a bit patient to get more members and more lively discussions.
Feel free to open fun threads in the off topic section! That would be very welcome I think.
12 years ago
yep, just do it, I'm all up for some of the fun stuff they do on fragrantica. Only issue might be that the international version of parfumo might not be as lively a place yet, but I'm sure things will change Very Happy
12 years ago
Sorry to read that, but we are still a very small community here. I think, we had a great start but now we simply need our time to grow, so there will be more people who will lead interestant discussions. I can only ask for patience.

Is it the general impression, also of other users, that we are "colder" than other perfume communities?

We try hard to create an atmosphere where everybody feels fine with being here, but if there is anything we can improve, please feel free to tell me or Don.

Parfumo is not "run" by people who get money out of it. So, whatever is happening here relies totally on the engagements of its users.

Lola82, please feel free to add more topics as DieNase has suggested. You're welcome!
12 years ago
My impression is that parfumo is much closer to basenotes than to fragrantica. But that also means that people here are much more likely to engage in more "serious" discussions about perfume and stuff and this might well lead to a more intimate atmosphere once the international community has a few more active members. So that's something nice, non? Smile
12 years ago
Maybe you'd like to participate here Wink
It's in German but I think it's easy. You say which perfume suits the person in the picture in the post above and why. Then you post another picture.
www.parfumo.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6715
Parfumo/Fragrantica 12 years ago
I Hope I'm not offending you by that comment. I want just to have a peaceful experience on Parfumo and not create any waves.
12 years ago
I must commend Parfumo on being a bit more adult than some other perfume forums. There are many other sites out there where you can view an endless list of posts on "What is the best panty dropping fragrance". It has been very refreshing to see a raised level of discussion thus far on Parfumo. I think that once the members get a little more familiar with the personalities here, it will become more friendly and fun. I look forward to this happening.
12 years ago
maybe it's because of the time difference too (at least with the US and Can).

I had more personal experiences with Parfumo members than with Fragrantica members, but well... we'll see how it turns out.

Maybe we should hold some sort of welcome chat at some time so more people get to know each other internationally.
12 years ago
That is definitely NOT my impression, Lola. But I spent a few months at another, if I may speak frankly, frigid site. Cool

I agree with those who have observed that we are small as things stand. At this point the facebook groups are still conducting many of the forum-type discussions. It will take a bit of time for people to begin to move those "thread-like" interactions over here.

Partly that's because we are all in the habit of going to those groups for perfume talk amongst people who are already very familiar to us because of many months of exchanges. But the more threads that we open and participate in here, the faster Parfumo will become one big happy family of fragrance fanatics, it seems to me.

What I appreciate about this group (at Parfumo) is that people seem generally to be sophisticated perfumistas but without any stuffiness or misogyny. (Oh, did I say that?) So, to me, the community, while small at this point, is more interesting to interact with than either a "neophyte" or a "clique-ish" site, where a small cluster of old-timers really run the show. Not naming any names, so you are free to draw your own inferences!!!

We've been here less than two months, and it's already great!
Hurray!

Laughing
12 years ago
and considering it only being 2 months I guess there a quite a lot of members, but not really active.

When I look in here I see well let's say about 15 people regularly here. Every flower needs to grow Wink
12 years ago
Franfan20:
and considering it only being 2 months I guess there a quite a lot of members, but not really active.

When I look in here I see well let's say about 15 people regularly here. Every flower needs to grow Wink

Yes: I just realized that I've been here only six weeks! And look how many nice and interesting people are appearing each day! It is true that some days it seems very quiet, but it's up to us to move our perfume-related discussions over here. The more that's going on here, the more people will come.

I think that in a year, this will be the place for cosmopolitan perfumistas to be!

Laughing
12 years ago
THIS particular site, although small right now for the "English" side of it, is a bit more "informed" and veteran than it's given credit for.

Because of the "mature" approach, it may seem dull, but with more members, it will liven up some. To be honest, I'm not so sure I would enjoy that since I came from a large, well known site with veterans and newbs.

For all basenotes chatter and communal liveliness, the vast majority of the posts were a waste of human life and time. Go look at their forums right now. Busy as hell and you have to sift through untold threads of worthless information to grab a nugget. I have better things to do with my time these days.

The directory here will the very best on the net in 2 years or less. That's why it's so important to post the best reviews you can muster. All the best reviewers from basenotes have stopped throwing up reviews. If they do post one, they are few and far between, so I don't even bother with their directory any more.

Help lay a foundation here to attract "knowledgeable" enthusiasts and let Fragrantica and Basenotes keep all the "filler".
12 years ago
AromiErotici:
For all basenotes chatter and communal liveliness, the vast majority of the posts were a waste of human life and time. Go look at their forums right now. Busy as hell and you have to sift through untold threads of worthless information to grab a nugget. I have better things to do with my time these days

I agree.
12 years ago
So true, Aromi and Flaconneur.

I have often felt overwhelmed by the traffic at the other fragrance website forums, which on certain days seem rather zoo-like. Or perhaps like a crowded sports arena where thousands of people are talking simultaneously, mainly to themselves.

Wink
12 years ago
Sherapop:
Or perhaps like a crowded sports arena where thousands of people are talking simultaneously, mainly to themselves.

Exactly, Sherapop.
12 years ago
Sherapop:
It is true that some days it seems very quiet, but it's up to us to move our perfume-related discussions over here. The more that's going on here, the more people will come.

This is very true. I know a good number of people who have joined here who are capable of very lively discussions indeed Smile Some of those discussions are going on in facebook groups now. If we start moving those over here, things should perk up a bit.

I think people are quite friendly here, but it does have a different feel from Fragrantica. That's a good thing in my mind. Different people will feel comfortable in different forums. It's good to have a choice.

Anyone who wants to see some more fun topics should just throw them out there. I think some perfume related games like 'the game of notes' from Fragrantica would fit in well here.

This place will evolve as more people join; it's very much a work in process. The members here now really have an opportunity to help shape what this site becomes. It really just takes people participating - initiating and responding to topics and posting and commenting on reviews. So I say, just let your presence be known and this place will naturally become livelier and more fun!
12 years ago
So far, I like it here very much. Of the two other sites, I have felt that one has been not-so-welcoming to gay people and one has been not-so-welcoming to women. I haven't seen evidence of either of those issues here, and I also haven't seen anyone insulting anyone else. Parfumo has felt closer to my personality lately, and I'm looking forward to spending more time here when I can and posting more reviews.

But I know we've talked elsewhere before, Lola, and you and I have really different personalities. So, if you find it more comfortable someplace else, do what makes you comfortable! We do this to enjoy ourselves!
12 years ago
PBullFriend:
So far, I like it here very much. Of the two other sites, I have felt that one has been not-so-welcoming to gay people and one has been not-so-welcoming to women. I haven't seen evidence of either of those issues here, and I also haven't seen anyone insulting anyone else. Parfumo has felt closer to my personality lately, and I'm looking forward to spending more time here when I can and posting more reviews.

I feel the same way Smile
12 years ago
I just think especially Fragrantica is covered with unnecessary "reviews" because people comment on perfumes to say something totally irrelevant for the perfume itself.
And it goes so fast...

Then again, when I posted something in the forum absolutely no one responend and in 2 days my thread was gone to page 3 or so.

I didn't really like it, I keep going back to check things up on new scents, but that's all. And I did know no one to be honest. And those I asked something (except for 2 people didn't even respond).
12 years ago
Flaconneur:
Sherapop:
Or perhaps like a crowded sports arena where thousands of people are talking simultaneously, mainly to themselves.

Exactly, Sherapop.

To avoid talking to ourselves, at least in perfume reviews, one thing we have is the 'Award' button. As far as I can see, it is not yet being used so often at the moment. I simply tick the Award when I like what I have read. This is the quickest and easiest way to give a feedback and to tell the author that - well - the review has been read by somebody!

At the German site, the number of awards I get for my reviews tell me a lot about what people want to read. Sometimes a quick and dirty review gets awarded a lot because the fragrance is of general interest while an elaborate, long review of some really unknown perfume might not get noticed a lot.

You have posted so much more reviews than anyone can read at once since we started - may I just suggest to make more use of the Award button?

And if you have a little more time, just drop a comment under the review that you have been reading!
12 years ago
I will try to participate more Very Happy

Lola: I am so glad I got rid of all the frivolous topics and the connection between sex and perfume..."panty dropper, get's me in the mood" kind of topics... I hope it stays like this Wink

There is a 10% rules: in a group of 100 people only 10% is really active. So for this small group it is going great already Very Happy
12 years ago
Guusje:
I will try to participate more Very Happy

Lola: I am so glad I got rid of all the frivolous topics and the connection between sex and perfume..."panty dropper, get's me in the mood" kind of topics... I hope it stays like this Wink

There is a 10% rules: in a group of 100 people only 10% is really active. So for this small group it is going great already Very Happy

i agree with Guus, the topics on the other side has gone bad and also all the people I loved communicating through the forum has left too, so I rarely write something there.

On the other hand I really liked parfumo fromthe first minute, I found the environment more inspiring, everything is smplier and more user friendly, I am sure the forums will grow with time. Love it here Smile
12 years ago
Apicius, I agree with you that both the award feature and the comment feature hold a lot of potential for bringing the community together. These are huge improvements from the other sites. At one of them, there is no interaction about the reviews whatsoever. At the other, it is possible to make reviews disappear by voting them down. The ultimate effect, at the end of the line, will be to suppress criticism because many people dislike negative reviews of perfumes which they love. In addition, I would be very surprised if shills were not at this very moment availing themselves of that feature to promote the products which they wish to sell and demote competitors.

The "comment on review" feature here is fantastic because it makes it possible to give some specific feedback but also to strike up a little conversation with the author of the review. I am definitely going to start using this feature more, as I have seen it is frequently used on the German site.

I also noticed that on the German site people are very liberal with the awards, and it might be that on this side people are thinking that it's supposed be like an academy award. Laughing But you are right: the more we bestow awards upon writers, the more interaction there will be, it seems to me.

I also wanted to point out how nice it is that we get to title our reviews here. This also tends to make people take review writing a bit more seriously. So we don't see any shout-outs for Britney here and probably never will.

Thanks for everything, Apicius and Don!!!!!

Cool
12 years ago
I agree with Apicius about the Award button on reviews. If I like the review, I give it the button a click. This is great feedback for the author.
1 - 25 by 177
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Parfumo/Fragrantica
Jump to