Search Forum

The bitterness in chypres

The bitterness in chypres 10 days ago

I have a question: I love the opening of many chypres, but most of them turn out very bitter on my skin and not in a good way, but in a rancid sort of way. I don't know if it is my skinchemistry or my perception of scents (because when I spray it on clothes, I also get this bitterness in the drydown and my boyfriend does not smell this bitterness). It's kind of frustrating to love a scent and then feel disappointed, smelling that bad kind of bitterness. I also wonder what note this could be. I guess it's oakmoss, but I also have perfumes with oakmoss that do not have this affect on me. 

Does anyone recognize this and what could it be???

10 days ago

It's an interesting topic.

I'm agree with you, chypres are bitter and you skin is not guilty, especially since you smell that bitterness on your clothes.

The one chypre I find especially bitter is Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale)Miss Dior Eau de Toilette Originale , but for me it's ok.

It might be simply a question of personal taste. Some people doesn't like Campari even they like orange, or Pastis even they like anise, because they are bitter beverages.

I would be glad to read other opinions on that bitter topic!

10 days ago
EvitaVilla

It's an interesting topic.

I'm agree with you, chypres are bitter and you skin is not guilty, especially since you smell that bitterness on your clothes.

The one chypre I find especially bitter is Miss Dior (Eau de Toilette Originale)Miss Dior Eau de Toilette Originale , but for me it's ok.

It might be simply a question of personal taste. Some people doesn't like Campari even they like orange, or Pastis even they like anise, because they are bitter beverages.

I would be glad to read other opinions on that bitter topic!

Hi, thanks for your response. Oh that's funny, because Miss Dior Originale is one of the few chypres that does not have that effect on me! (although I don't love my latest purchase of that, from april 2023 says the batchcode, as much as my former bottle, but that is not about bitterness).

I have most problems with Jean-Louis Scherrer (Eau de Toilette)Jean-Louis Scherrer Eau de Toilette and Azurēe (2015)Azurēe (2015) which I find so, so very beautyful and so bright (opposite of bitter) in their opening....bet then that drydown...Maybe you find galbanum bitter and with me it is more the oakmoss?

10 days ago

You might be right as I find it bitter from the opening.

Now I have to try again some of my chypres.

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands The bitterness in chypres
Jump to