Search Forum

Movie moments that remind you of a perfume

Movie moments that remind you of a perfume 12 years ago
With apologies to fans of Diptyque's L'Eau Trois, this bit of dialogue from the movie, Juno, came to mind after I wore L'Eau Trois for a couple of days. Juno, a pregnant high school student, is trying to convince her boyfriend, Paulie, to ask another girl to the prom:
Juno: What about Katrina DeVoort? You could totally go out with Katrina DeVoort.
Paulie: I don't like Katrina, she smells like soup. I mean, have you ever smelled her? And her whole house smells like soup.

That's L'Eau Trois for me: galbanum (celery), caraway, bay leaf and oregano. Nice soup ingredients. But I'd rather not smell like soup or, apparently, Katrina DeVoort.
Here's a link to that clip from the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az11UHr9O8o&fea ture=youtube_gdata_player

Anyway, does anybody else have a movie moment that they associate with a specific perfume? I do not mean a perfume appearing in a movie. Just that moment when the dialogue or scene brings to mind a particular perfume...
12 years ago
Dlane1953:
OK.let me understand correctly: we can recall a movie moment from the past and THEN associate that moment with a CURRENT fragrance association? When I"m watching a movie I'm totally engrosssed in the moment; fragrance never comes to mind. But later when I recollect a scene I can supply a fragrance that captures some of the essence of particular character or scene. So if that's allowed:

You're spot on DL. Whether the scent takes you to the movie or the movie takes you to the scent is fine by me. Even if you want to think something up just for this thread I'm OK with that, too.

I'm a huge fan of Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns so I really liked your association.

After making up my list for the top 10 favorite movie thread I thought of this association because I'm currently writing a review of Acqua di Parma Tuscan Cypress:
all those scenes in the main piazza of "Cinema Paradiso" put me in the mind of Tuscan Cypress
12 years ago
Dlane1953:
Gary "Gal" Dove (Ray Winstone): a cheesy, second-rate criminal given to big chunky gold necklaces and speedos on a very rotund physique. He'd have to wear something really loud and common that can be picked up in a drugstore for $20. I don't want to offend anyone's taste so I won't name brands; I leave it to the reader's imagination. Imagine the frag as harsh, brash, and LOUD in capital letters!

DL, you didn't hold back with Dee Dee Dove as a devotee of Giorgio so go ahead and name the brand Gal Dove would wear. How about Drakkar Noire and lots of it? Or did you have something else in mind. Something more disco fever era?

As for an avenging character (Ben Kingsley) I'd pick something with an malevolent, edgy, yet not too potent black pepper accord. Something that simmers just enough to make those around him fearful. Somebody else will have to suggest a fragrance with this character because it's really not my thing.
12 years ago
Dlane1953:
Your suggestion for the style for BK is right on target.

I plugged in "black pepper" as a search criteria here on Parfumo and came up with interesting candidates. Only problem is, I don't know what they smell like!

Vitriol d'Œillet by Serge Lutens: not only is it chockablock full of pepper notes but it's name, "vitriol", is perfect. Oops, just ran the name through translation software and d'Œillet apparently refers to dianthus or carnations. Suddenly all the malevolence and vitriol went out of this one.

Black Musk by Montale

Honour Man by Amouage
Last edited by Greysolon on 06.06.2012, 22:00; edited 1 time in total
12 years ago
Sorry DL, I did my OCD thing and changed my last entry as you gave your response. I've really got to learn to just put things out there and let it go... Geez! Rolling Eyes
12 years ago
Vitriol is perfect, this guy was evil personified. /quote]
Although maybe Vitriol d'Œillet still works... I once worked with a conductor who insisted we play with a character of "quiet malevolence."
12 years ago
Mr. Darcy came to mind immediately: Creed - Baie de Genievre. It's one of my favorite fragrances but it's conservative and formal.
Introducing Dorothy Dandridge 12 years ago
Hallé Berry plays Dorothy Dandridge and during the casting of the lead for the first all black musical to hit Hollywood, she struts into Otto Preminger's office seductively attired with a red rose tucked behind her ear declaring "I am Carmen Jones".
I've always imagined that the fragrance she would be wearing is Tabu Very Happy .
12 years ago
DL and Coutureguru, great ideas. DL, I wish we knew what some of the really old French and English fragrances smelled like, the sort of things advertised by beautifully lithographed posters and boxes.
Coutureguru, Halle Berry in anything... frragrance-wise, I mean! But that era gave us such great personalities and fragrances.
11 years ago
The Ten Commandments (1956) Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Anne Baxter

There is a scene where Queen Nefertiri sprinkles perfume on a very muddy, filthy, (apparently stinky) Moses.

I wonder what Queen Nefertiri would have worn for perfume. I imagine it would be something like Serge Lutens' LA MYRRHE

11 years ago
"Sécrétions Magnifiques" made me think of Cronenbergs "Crash", that ozonic, metallic, bit blood-like smell somehow just fits perfectly...
And "Zoo" by Peter Greenaway also came to my mind, though "Zoo" is way more esthetic the way I find.

And both "Habanita" and "Chanel no.19" suit really well to Film Noir and also especially to "Stalker" by Tarkowsky - being a big fan of spaghetti westerns as well, I should really once try "Ambre Sultan" in that case according to Dlane1953 - I bet I´ve seen The Good, The Bad and The Ugly 20 times by now already ! Laughing
11 years ago
Sensual:
...both "Habanita" and "Chanel no.19" suit really well to Film Noir and also especially to "Stalker" by Tarkowsky - being a big fan of spaghetti westerns as well, I should really once try "Ambre Sultan" in that case according to Dlane1953 - I bet I´ve seen The Good, The Bad and The Ugly 20 times by now already ! Laughing

Until you mentioned film noir, I forgot all about one of my all time favorites, Double Indemnity and it's direct (yet unnamed) perfume connection. With all the smoking that goes on in film noir I always imagine Barbara Stanwyck wearing Robert Piguet Bandit or Fracas or Chanel Cuir de Russie. I love this bit of dialogue:

Walter Neff: You'll be here too?
Phyllis: I guess so, I usually am.
Walter Neff: Same chair, same perfume, same anklet?
Phyllis: I wonder if I know what you mean.
Walter Neff: I wonder if you wonder.

Oh yeah...

As for spaghetti westerns, ditto everything you said except for me they apply to High Plains Drifter.

FloraMilena, you're absolutely right, a movie set ancient Egypt requires something with an ancient sounding aromatic heritage like La Myhrre. So fitting.
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Off Topic Movie moments that remind you of a perfume
Jump to