Search Forum

EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members

76 - 100 by 593
11 years ago
Technically Frantic has some great features - the huge database, the drop-down boxes that allow you to insert the perfume image/link, the ability to just copy and paste images. It's very accessable, but in becoming so it's also become a victim of it's own success. In terms of the forum, what started as a place for discussing perfume, learning and meeting like-minded individuals has now just become a school yard, and an eccentrically supervised one at that.
11 years ago 1
Are we still beating this poor dead horse? Anyway, I will never understand why the admins refused to implement an "ignore" function when the fights started breaking out a few months ago and people were practically begging for one.
11 years ago
Because, Cryptic, you will always find people who get off on watching people fight. Even a forum's saintly admin.
11 years ago
*beats dead horse some more*

I like Fragrantica; I really do. When I first joined, people didn't get all offended by others' sarcasm. But for some reason, things changed. I thought I got along with everyone--there isn't anyone I hate or refuse to talk to-- but there is too much "he said, she said" going on, and I don't want to be a part of that. I do not really know what is going on, but I can "feel" the animosity between members in the posts. I will still post on Fragrantica and browse at suggestions or new perfumes. I'm not joining sides.

I had no idea that many members were over here. I checked this site back in July when Coutureguru mentioned it and didn't see too many posts, then I came back again the other day when I was told about it again. But it's cool to see some of the people again who were "MIA" from Fragrantica.
11 years ago 1
I suppose what I like most about parfumo is the absence of elitism.

I never interacted enough on Fragrantica to notice attitude there, but it's evident other places. Cool

With large membership comes a host of negative, along with the good it provides. parfumo is coming along steadily and its great to see new members ( defectors or not ) enjoying the tranquility of this site.
11 years ago
I'll tell you what, it was really nice to come here and be welcomed so warmly. My first day on Fragrantica, I was taken to task for stating that there is no scientific proof that Angel is deadly poison, which was what the "experts" were claiming, lol.
11 years ago
Ah, the Angel is poison fracas Laughing
11 years ago
Hello all! I just discovered this site TODAY! Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! I'm enjoying it very much!
11 years ago
First off, Happy New Year and welcome to all those new to Parfumo for whatever the reason, be it defection or if you simply had the good fortune to stumble into our midst. Welcome!

I personally defected to Parfumo from BN because I found it (BN) too impersonal, rowdy and troll-ridden. With that in mind, I'll tell you a little anecdote about the wonderful people who frequent Parfumo: Commitments related to work forced me to take a hiatus from the site for a couple of months. After being MIA for a while, friends -who I only know from my association with Parfumo- began enquiring as to my whereabouts and if I was OK. It's those personal associations, as well as the quality of discourse, that makes Parfumo one of my "happy places".

I will also tell you, without a hint of exaggeration, that of any social network or forum I've been involved with, this is the friendliest, most civil and best maintained. I'm so thankful for the excellent work of the fine administrators of Parfumo.
Last edited by Greysolon on 08.01.2013, 03:06; edited 4 times in total
11 years ago
Thank you so much, Greysolon, for this great feedback, and welcome back!
11 years ago
Greysolon:
First off, Happy New Year and welcome to all those new to Parfumo for whatever the reason, be it defection or if you simply had the good fortune to stumble into our midst. Welcome!

I personally defected to Parfumo from BN because I found it (BN) too impersonal, rowdy and troll-ridden. With that in mind, I'll tell you a little anecdote about the wonderful people who frequent Parfumo: My work forced me to take a hiatus from the site for a couple of months. After being MIA for a while, friends -who I only know from my association with Parfumo- began enquiring as to my whereabouts and if everything was OK. It's that kind of personal care, as well as the quality of discourse, that makes Parfumo one of my "happy places".

I will also tell you, without a hint of exaggeration, that of any social network or forum I've been involved with, this is the friendliest, most civil and best maintained. I'm so thankful for the excellent work of the fine administrators of Parfumo.

So glad to have you here amongst us again, Greysolon!
Very Happy
11 years ago
I have been enjoying both sites. I must say that I love all the new features that Parfumo has to offer but I continue to be quite regular on Fragrantica.
11 years ago
Digindirt:
I have been enjoying both sites. I must say that I love all the new features that Parfumo has to offer but I continue to be quite regular on Fragrantica.

Ditto!
11 years ago
I'm still around, but I've been so insanely busy lately that my online life just had to sit quietly on the back burner... Hoping to be able to post more.
11 years ago
No exile, but I was missing the people who made the most interesting posts at the English Fragrantica.
Still saw a lot of them at FaceBook where I started spending much more time than on Fragrantica, so barely even came on the forum , except for visiting individual member topics.
When even one of my favourite members stopped her individual thread I was flabbergasted and asked where she'd gone to. Parfumo.net was the answer!
Speaking of individual threads, one of the best ones around was the Enneagram personality types. Turns out, after having thought for all my life I was the scientific exploring type, I'm the 'loyalist' (with the scientific slant as a wing)
That person who stays on the Titanic until it is fully submerged, believing things will go better.... well, as much as I love all the features in their database and still do (like how people can vote for how strong a note is being perceived, which somehow changes the order of accords, so there IS crowd-sourcing going on!), banning people left & right just because they are outspoken , irritates the hell out of me.
I've asked 3-4 times already how exactly accords are tied to notes, which seems to be the case , but no answer.. yet.
Any question that is a teeny bit more complicated than 'what is the sexiest scent' just gets ignored.
And believe me.. I have tons of questions!

BTW, somewhere in this thread I saw a remark concerning the repetitiveness of questions. I wondered whether mods here merge threads that are similar? When I used to be a mod, this was an option we used frequently.
However.. the stupidity of SEO seems to be that Google will punish that type of behaviour. Forums score best when the same questions pops up 100 times rather than when the same question is just in 1 thread with all similar questions/answers being filed under that thread.
Also, whenever you bump a very old thread, this gets punished too.. at least on forums that thrive on Google-based advertisements and deem SEO to be very important.
So here you have the conflicting interests of a gazillion boring same threads (with old ones being deleted or closed) versus having everything on the same topic in 1 place.

Will stop now.. in a former life-time I used to be a literature researcher/documentalist and currently am a web shop owner so am on both sides of the fence (wanting to be found by Google, but also wanting to file away everything orderly!)
11 years ago
Interesting post, DutchSniffer. Now that one of the people who made Fragrantica such a misery has shown up here, you may very well see a reverse migration.
11 years ago
Cryptic:
Interesting post, DutchSniffer. Now that one of the people who made Fragrantica such a misery has shown up here, you may very well see a reverse migration.

Hm, what should this statement tell me? Wink
11 years ago
Franfan20:
Cryptic:

Hm, what should this statement tell me? Wink

I am equally baffled. There was no smiley to suggest an ironic interpretation. How to read without smileys????????????????????
Rolling Eyes
11 years ago
Cryptic:

Thanks Cryptic sweetie, You are one of my favorites on Parfumo, so I will keep my eyes and ears open.
11 years ago
Parfumo is not Fragrantica, we are new on the scene, so let's start new. I would suggest that any old quarrels and misunderstandings that date back to peoples' activities at other sites should be settled behind the scenes between the respective users.

If this is not possible, I would ask the respective persons to ignore each other. This is a good way to ensure that everbody can have a good time here.
11 years ago
Apicius:
Parfumo is not Fragrantica, we are new on the scene, so let's start new. I would suggest that any old quarrels and misunderstandings that date back to peoples' activities at other sites should be settled behind the scenes between the respective users.

If this is not possible, I would ask the respective persons to ignore each other. This is a good way to ensure that everbody can have a good time here.

The voice of wisdom has spoken again!
Smile
11 years ago
OK, I am pouting as I make my way to the corner for time out. Embarassed

Thank you Apicius for keeping us in line. Wondering how long I have to stay in the corner...... Wink
11 years ago
DutchSniffer:
BTW, somewhere in this thread I saw a remark concerning the repetitiveness of questions. I wondered whether mods here merge threads that are similar? When I used to be a mod, this was an option we used frequently.
However.. the stupidity of SEO seems to be that Google will punish that type of behaviour. Forums score best when the same questions pops up 100 times rather than when the same question is just in 1 thread with all similar questions/answers being filed under that thread.
Also, whenever you bump a very old thread, this gets punished too.. at least on forums that thrive on Google-based advertisements and deem SEO to be very important.
So here you have the conflicting interests of a gazillion boring same threads (with old ones being deleted or closed) versus having everything on the same topic in 1 place.
When a thread is opened a second time we usually give the information about the older thread and provide the link. We ask everybody to use the older thread for discussion, and then we close the redundant thread so no further posts are possible.

Currently, Parfumo.net is still an insider's tip since Parfumo.net's ranking in the Google perfume searches is not yet satisfying. This community has to grow a little bit more before Parfumo.net gets good rankings but it will eventually happen. Until then, we enjoy being a rather small but growing community where most users know and like each other. We like to attract people who take their perfume hobby seriously, and I think, we are on a good way.
11 years ago
Cincy:
OK, I am pouting as I make my way to the corner for time out.

Time out is a great opportunity for a cup of tea!

Wink
11 years ago
Yes you ARE! The longer I stay here, the better it feels.

In any case I had never thought the very first thing to discuss would be folding bicyles! Very Happy
76 - 100 by 593
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members
Jump to