Search Forum

Scents that don't suit their bottles

Scents that don't suit their bottles 6 months ago 2

Posting this because 1) I'm curious if other people have also come across scents that don't suit their bottles and 2) if this isn't just a me thing.

I just posted a statement about a perfume that I tried a sample of. One of the things that stood out to me is that the scent really doesn't suit the colour of the bottle. To be exact: the statement was about Flora Gorgeous MagnoliaFlora Gorgeous Magnolia which has a cool, cloudy purple bottle. That colour made me expect a cool scent, or a scent that contains a purple flower like lavender, lilac, violet or iris. Of course the name should have alerted me that I wouldn't smell any of those purple flowers. However, when I smelled this perfume on me, all I could think of was "that bottle should have been a warm, creamy yellow". Because whether Gucci likes it or not, Flora Gorgeous Magnolia smells like a warm, creamy yellow. And although I wouldn't necessarily call a warm, creamy yellow smelling perfume in a cool, cloudy purple bottle misleading, it certainly caught me off-guard. It's like biting into an ice cream that looks like a lemon sorbet, but then finding out it's actually a funky coloured chocolate ice cream. Sure, chocolate ice cream is nice too, I actually like both, but it's confusing when you were expecting something completely different.

Anyway. What bottles made you expect a totally different scent than the perfume that was actually in them?

6 months ago 1

Sounds like a very personal and subjective thing but this is somewhat relatable. I get this mostly with all the Lattafas, Rasasis and Ard Al Zaafarans. There is ALWAYS some strange and convoluted design process that might not tap into my "western" esthetics and cultural training. It's just...the colors are moslty okay-ish: the ambers for oud-forward frags, green tint of Fattan pour HommeFattan pour Homme and light iris hue of Daarej pour HommeDaarej pour Homme . Where I scratch my head the most are the shapes. I often can't read them properly or feel like something is off. It's not that my expectations are not met, it's my lack of understanding when I try to connect the dots of branding and design of the bottles.

6 months ago 1

Pure XS for HerPure XS for Her is a salty/sweet gourmand with a popcorn note, which doesn't fit the Edenic snake motif.

So Scandal!So Scandal! this smells like gummy bears to me, and I find both botlle and name to be amusingly unsuitable for gummy bears.

6 months ago 1

Dolce GardenDolce Garden bottle and name suggests a floral fragrance but it's a beachy suntan lotion vibes tropical coconut scent.

FlowerpartyFlowerparty is similar, both the bottle and the name scream floral but it's aquatic fruity.

SerpentineSerpentine bottle suggests something "dangerous" or daring but the fragrance smells like a bright tropical dream to me, like a paradise but definitely without any snakes.

Paradise (Eau de Parfum)Paradise Eau de Parfum is not a pink scent at all IMO. It's very spicy and peppery and smells quite dark to me.

Very Sexy (Eau de Parfum)Very Sexy Eau de Parfum bottle looks like a heavy night time scent to me but it's a fresh fruity daytime musk.

Babe Vibes / Boss BabeBabe Vibes looks like a juicy beverage scent but it's a heavy nutty almond gourmand.

Signature (Eau de Parfum)Signature Eau de Parfum bottle suggests fresh marine fragrance but it's a super sweet gourmand.

6 months ago 2

I think one of the most egregious ones is Groove XcapeGroove Xcape. Looks like it's an aquatic freshie but is the polar opposite, a dark brooding smoky incense fragrance.

6 months ago 1

@Lempi I miss Serpentine and agree about the bottle.

6 months ago 1
KathrynA66

@Lempi I miss Serpentine and agree about the bottle.

Oh yes, it's a gorgeous scent even though it doesn't match the bottle at all! 🤩 One of my husband's favourites too. So sad that it's discontinued... I'm fortunate to have still about 90 ml left. 🙏

6 months ago 1

Great topic... Definitely subjective, but imo La ReligieuseLa Religieuse doesn't match the color of its juice. The aubergine juice promises something dark and smoky... But to me this is a buttery yellow fragrance, the color of lemon butter and candle wax. I think it might be an intentional juxtaposition, though.

(update after maceration: I take this back actually!)

Last edited by ScentNebula on 07.12.2023, 06:47; edited 1 time in total
5 months ago
TommieBootje

Posting this because 1) I'm curious if other people have also come across scents that don't suit their bottles and 2) if this isn't just a me thing.

I just posted a statement about a perfume that I tried a sample of. One of the things that stood out to me is that the scent really doesn't suit the colour of the bottle. To be exact: the statement was about Flora Gorgeous MagnoliaFlora Gorgeous Magnolia which has a cool, cloudy purple bottle. That colour made me expect a cool scent, or a scent that contains a purple flower like lavender, lilac, violet or iris. Of course the name should have alerted me that I wouldn't smell any of those purple flowers. However, when I smelled this perfume on me, all I could think of was "that bottle should have been a warm, creamy yellow". Because whether Gucci likes it or not, Flora Gorgeous Magnolia smells like a warm, creamy yellow. And although I wouldn't necessarily call a warm, creamy yellow smelling perfume in a cool, cloudy purple bottle misleading, it certainly caught me off-guard. It's like biting into an ice cream that looks like a lemon sorbet, but then finding out it's actually a funky coloured chocolate ice cream. Sure, chocolate ice cream and space bar clicker is nice too, I actually like both, but it's confusing when you were expecting something completely different.

Anyway. What bottles made you expect a totally different scent than the perfume that was actually in them?

Groove Xcape is, in my opinion, one of the most aggravating.Xcape Groove. It appears to be an aquatic freshie but is actually a dark brooding smokey incense aroma.

4 months ago

Casamorati - Mefisto GentiluomoCasamorati - Mefisto Gentiluomo and Casamorati in general always been a huge question mark for me. I think they don't suit.

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Scents that don't suit their bottles
Jump to