Search Forum

Help as a new user

26 - 50 by 56
9 months ago 1
Rachelg

If a perfume doesn't have a main photo (or any photo), and you have a clean photo on a blank white background, do you still submit it via the email address for consideration? Or is there somewhere else to do it now? I submitted yesterday for a perfume and haven't seen it updated, although I may just be impatient. Thank you! 

Hi @Rachelg 

The process is still the same. Main pics are submitted to the email as mentioned in the research guide. Perhaps the reviewer is just enjoying his summer holiday Smile 

9 months ago

Is there a way for me to see past notifications? I would love to respond to previous comments/tags, but can't seem to find them anymore after I first saw them. Thank you! 😊

9 months ago 1
Gourmandgrl

Is there a way for me to see past notifications? I would love to respond to previous comments/tags, but can't seem to find them anymore after I first saw them. Thank you! 😊

Hi @Gourmandgrl ,

That sounds like a good idea. As far as I know the notifications are gone after you opened them.
An alternative would be to turn off instant notifications in your settings so you get notified by e-mail instead. Not ideal either, I guess. So I reckon you submit your idea in the suggestion box 😉

8 months ago
Kurai
Gourmandgrl

Hi @Gourmandgrl ,

That sounds like a good idea. As far as I know the notifications are gone after you opened them.
An alternative would be to turn off instant notifications in your settings so you get notified by e-mail instead. Not ideal either, I guess. So I reckon you submit your idea in the suggestion box 😉

What would also be handy is to know what comments were hearted so we know what kind of content is appreciated most. 

8 months ago

Here's another question- is there a way to see who follows you?

8 months ago 1
Mitchcraft

What would also be handy is to know what comments were hearted so we know what kind of content is appreciated most. 

Hi @Mitchcraft ,

This is already possible. The number of hearts given to a comment are shown at the top of the post. I'll add a screenshot to show what I mean.

Cheers!

Last edited by Kurai on 17.08.2023, 15:44; edited 1 time in total
8 months ago 1
Rachelg

Here's another question- is there a way to see who follows you?

Hi @Rachelg ,

There isn't. Only the number of followers is shown.

8 months ago
Kurai
Mitchcraft

Hi @Mitchcraft ,

This is already possible. The number of hearts given to a comment are shown at the top of the post.

Cheers!

I mean like a way to find the posts that have been hearted all on one page. Just now the only way I know to do that is look through every single post one by one instead of say clicking the heart and it showing you a list of all hearted posts. 

7 months ago

Are there glitches in tagging certain fragrances? For example, I can't tag some Terres Dorées fragrances like Fleurs d'Oranger, Épicène or Vétiver. No matter which way I try to write the name after the hashtag, it doesn't show up. Is it only me, is someone else able to tag these? I'm using an Android smartphone via Chrome browser.

7 months ago 2
Lempi

Are there glitches in tagging certain fragrances? For example, I can't tag some Terres Dorées fragrances like Fleurs d'Oranger, Épicène or Vétiver. No matter which way I try to write the name after the hashtag, it doesn't show up. Is it only me, is someone else able to tag these? I'm using an Android smartphone via Chrome browser.

Hi @Lempi

The tagging function kind of works like a search function. So when the name is a super-common term like vetiver, l'eau, oranger and so on, they're getting harder to select. Adding some letters of the brand name or the year of release helps. Using the correct punctuation marks é / è also helps.

Below the phrases that I typed to get your fragrances pop up in the tagging menu:

VétiverVétiver - vétiver dor

Fleurs d'OrangerFleurs d'Oranger - fleurs dore

ÉpicèneÉpicène - dorees épi

7 months ago
Kurai
Lempi

Hi @Lempi

The tagging function kind of works like a search function. So when the name is a super-common term like vetiver, l'eau, oranger and so on, they're getting harder to select. Adding some letters of the brand name or the year of release helps. Using the correct punctuation marks é / è also helps.

Below the phrases that I typed to get your fragrances pop up in the tagging menu:

VétiverVétiver - vétiver dor

Fleurs d'OrangerFleurs d'Oranger - fleurs dore

ÉpicèneÉpicène - dorees épi

Hey great, thank you so much, it seems to work perfectly now! 👍👍

7 months ago

Thanks for this thread, got a bit confused navigating the jungle 😅

6 months ago

Okay so this is going to be a little bit of a rant, a long one... I was at first going to just be silent about this but when I saw this thread and that other new members are struggling with similar problems, I thought I must post this here. It's about the photo rules and the photo approving process. Don't get me wrong, I love rules, I love that they are actually written and well justified. But when it comes to practice, there's definitely a big problem, and I'm not quite sure what exactly causes all the confusion. Are there some unwritten rules? Have different photo moderators different standards when accepting photos? Or why is it so that sometimes photos that seem to be perfectly fine are rejected but many times photos breaking the rules are accepted?

It would be extremely important that all rules would be clearly written. Some people might think that it's not a big deal if a photo gets rejected but actually to many it might be. You probably know that there's lots of confunsing things happening at the other major fragrance forum and many people (including me) are leaving that place and switching to international Parfumo. Many of us are mainly photographers. I have heard many times that "you can always publish anything in your personal album or blog" but that's not an answer. Doing that is similar to having the pictures just in your own computer gallery. No one sees them so what's the point to do lots of effort for pics that no one sees? Your followers won't get any notifications of photos published in your personal album (could that be changed by the way?). I have put lots of time and effort to write blog articles but literally 2 or 3 people read them. It's so frustrating. Probably blog articles are an answer at the German Parfumo which is more active but here at the international site no one is interested. Plus the German users should always switch the language before even seeing them (they can't even see them in the users' profiles without changing the language!) and they don't bother to do that. But photos are shown to everybody and every language directly on the frontpage, they get so much more visibility.

Okay, so we artistic photographers do our best to combine the art and Parfumo rules. We spend HOURS to plan and prepare the photos. Just to get rejected even though we thought we followed all rules. Then the frontpage is full of quick snaps taken via smartphone camera in 2 minutes with a plain background, those of course always get accepted. And it's okay, but due to the amount of effort it feels wrong and feels that art isn't appreciated here. Feels that Parfumo appreciates just plain pictures and they would always be preferable, and people who create art are secondary. But how many plain quick snap pictures there are in the most awarded Parfumo pictures hall of fame or on the "top photos" of the frontpage? Right, none. All of those are the artistic ones. Artistic pictures bring more views to Parfumo so I think artistic photographers should get more appreciation and visibility. If the standards for rejecting artistic pictures keep being confusing, I think many art photographers won't have patience to stay here, (like you can read from the thread that I linked), it might be a major issue for them and Parfumo needs to realize that it's a big loss. Parfumo should do everything it can to keep growing into the world's biggest fragrance forum, you have potential for this now more than ever and I hope you will realize that. Sticking to the belief that only plain pictures are the best ones to showcase the bottle is ridiculous.

Therefore I have a suggestion. As the rules are well justified, no need to change them. Just write all rules down transparently, there should be no unwritten rules. I completely understand the limited resources of the moderators and why the questions about why a certain pic was rejected won't be answered, however would it be too much work to add one useful feature? You could number the rules, and every time when a moderator rejects a submitted photo, they would just click which rule it was breaking. All photographers would get a notification for example "your photo was rejected because of the rule number 6". Then the photographer would get a hint of the reason for the rejection. That would in the long run save everybody's time and effort - the photographers could either re-edit or re-crop the pic to match the rules or take a new pic and avoid the same mistake. At the moment it feels very burdening and puzzling when you simply don't know which error you made. You would like to try again but you probably don't have the motivation to make all the effort again because you're not sure if your pic would be rejected again for the same unknown reason.

To prove my point of the confusion, I'll attach to this post two of my pictures that were rejected and I still have no idea why. Both fragrances have zero pics here yet so I thought I was doing a favour to Parfumo when I tried my best to express the notes of both fragrances and make them look intriguing. I took multiple shots, made multiple edits and crops and tried them all but no matter which version of the pic series I tried to submit, they were rejected every time. In my pics of Vanilla ChaiVanilla Chai the fragrance is on the front, the label is perfectly visible and focused, there's a cup of chai tea (the name of the perfume) and notes: cinnamon, star anise, vanilla, cardamom and saffron. In my pics of Pumpkin Cake PopsPumpkin Cake Pops the fragrance is on the front and perfectly focused (there's no label in this official bottle of an indie brand as you can see from the database pic), there are small pumpkins and a piece of a pumpkin cake. Can't figure out what's against the rules and now I have no idea how I could try to create new notes pics of these fragrances because I don't know what I did wrong. It puzzles me even more that many other ones of my pics that had very similar arrangements were accepted so I can't figure out why they were ok but these weren't. So in these cases it would save everybody's nerves to get even a little clue what's wrong here.

6 months ago 1
Lempi

You could number the rules, and every time when a moderator rejects a submitted photo, they would just click which rule it was breaking. All photographers would get a notification for example "your photo was rejected because of the rule number 6". Then the photographer would get a hint of the reason for the rejection. 

Hi @Lempi

I quoted just a small piece of your post because I think it is easy to overlook in the amount of text while it sounds like a useful suggestion. Other than that, I can fully understand the frustration of getting rejected after some effort but I cannot help you with why these particular photos got rejected. 

I do want this thread to stay on the topic of  "help as a new user" rather than to turn into a discussion about the photo rules. Your point is perfectly valid, by the way, and the thread that you were referring to initially seems like the right place to continue that discussion.

6 months ago

Hello dear @Kurai, thank you so much for always answering so quickly and being very helpful and polite! You're doing such a great job as a moderator, I truly appreciate your dedication. 🙏 Hey that's great to know that it's okay to keep discussion in that thread I linked. I thought that the thread would get deleted as it was originally posted at the wrong section plus the user who posted it has deleted his account. So nice to hear that you think that my suggestion might be useful, too. Is here some place where we regular users can post suggestions to improve Parfumo? Like a general thread for all little suggestions and discussing about them, or should we always create a new thread for each separate suggestion? Or should we PM the admins directly?

6 months ago 2
Lempi

Is here some place where we regular users can post suggestions to improve Parfumo? Like a general thread for all little suggestions and discussing about them, or should we always create a new thread for each separate suggestion? Or should we PM the admins directly?

Hi @Lempi

Suggestions to improve Parfumo are always welcome! Feel free to create a new thread for suggestions in the Technical Support & Feedback section.

Cheers ✌

6 months ago

Awesome, thanks for the useful information and same to you, @Kurai !🙌

6 months ago

Edited this post because I found the answer to it. But I couldn’t figure out how to delete the post. So here’s another question, how do I delete a forum post?

Last edited by Obliterkate on 08.11.2023, 14:10; edited 2 times in total
6 months ago

Another question: how are people posting linkable perfumes in their forum posts? Say I’m talking about Hypnotic Poison, how do I link to the HP page on Parfumo? I can’t figure out how to do this.

6 months ago
Obliterkate

Another question: how are people posting linkable perfumes in their forum posts? Say I’m talking about Hypnotic Poison, how do I link to the HP page on Parfumo? I can’t figure out how to do this.

Hello @Obliterkate and welcome to Parfumo!. I hope you have a pleasant time to the Community!. 🙂

If you want to put the image of one fragnance you use the symbol # and then write the title of the fragnance, then the menu will drop the title of the fragnance and then you pick it and click on it and behold!. 😉 

6 months ago
😉Obliterkate

Edited this post because I found the answer to it. But I couldn’t figure out how to delete the post. So here’s another question, how do I delete a forum post?

Likewise, if you want to delete some posts you go to the post you want to delete and to to the last line from the right there are choices like edit and next to it it has the symbol ( x ). This stands for delete. To refer to other members you put the symbol @ and then you write the member's nickname and click on it and it will appear. Cheers!. 

6 months ago

I am new and have a question. What's the difference between "reviews" and "statements"? When I go to the "statements" section of my profile it says "no reviews yet" which implies they're the same thing, but when I go to the "tips" section of Assistant it separately suggests writing a "review" and writing a "statement" for perfumes in my collection...and there are separate links in the profile for Reviews and Statements. So I'm very confused!

6 months ago 1
ScentNebula

I am new and have a question. What's the difference between "reviews" and "statements"? When I go to the "statements" section of my profile it says "no reviews yet" which implies they're the same thing, but when I go to the "tips" section of Assistant it separately suggests writing a "review" and writing a "statement" for perfumes in my collection...and there are separate links in the profile for Reviews and Statements. So I'm very confused!

Statements are short impressions with limited word count, reviews should be longer and more detailed.

5 months ago

Hi all, quick question:

How to we tag / mention others in reviews and forum posts? The "@" symbol does not seem to work here the same way as other online platforms for this purpose.

5 months ago 2
Meetjoeblack

Hi all, quick question:

How to we tag / mention others in reviews and forum posts? The "@" symbol does not seem to work here the same way as other online platforms for this purpose.

Hi @Meetjoeblack

Actually, the @ symbol should do the trick. As soon as you type @ and a few first letters, a drop-down menu should appear where you can select the person's name.

This works in the forum section for sure. In reviews I haven't tested it.

26 - 50 by 56
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community Help as a new user
Jump to