Search Forum

How much time do you take before you post a review?

How much time do you take before you post a review? 22 days ago

I've noticed (and have to admit) that I sometimes write a review too soon after testing or buying a perfume...I sometimes have to come back on it and change or delete my initial review. So I've learned not to write one too soon and now I'm curious about how long you wait before you judge a scent.

Love, Ringtale

20 days ago

I am faster when I don't like a scent.

19 days ago 1

I try to get 4 or 5 full wears before rating and posting a statement and usually try for at least 10+ full wears before posting a review; with some exceptions.

I think this is probably a bit early for both but I enjoy writing/talking about all fragrance the most when it's new to me and as I'm still experiencing everything it has to offer.

18 days ago 2

Perfumes are all about leaving a 'first impression', so I think it is perfectly fine to put those in writing. I don't see why you should wait until your nose has fully adapted to the fragrance and all those surprises of the first wear are long lost.

Also I think there is not one review that grasps the fragrance in all its aspects as every opinion is completely subjective. It is the variety of impressions and experiences of different people that provides the most insight. 

So please just jot down whatever impression the perfume gives you and never delete a review again Smile

18 days ago 3

If it's a sample, I give my first impressions in a review. But if it's a full bottle or travel size bought, I usually wait until I feel that I've understood the fragrance on skin, paper and clothing. 

It's hard to say when the right time is- certain fragrances express differently in heat vs. cold. 

You can always update your review later down the line with more mature thoughts.

17 days ago

Thanks everyone for your replies!! And it's true that one can update his or her review, had to do that a few times already, but I'm always afraid people may find that annoying🤔. 

16 days ago 1

Depends on the fragrance. I'll take a few full wearings before reviewing a particularly complex fragrance. And there are some simple/generic fragrances where I write a statement within 5 minutes of applying because I know where the fragrance is going, and there aren't really going to be any surprises.

14 days ago

I don't think you should delete your review, an edit/update is more useful for you and the readers.

I write reviews in case I feel like I've got something meaningful to say, and the others haven't described exactly how I feel (in better words). For some perfumes that I love/hate, one sampling is enough. How many hours? I don't check the time, but I think after 3 hours minimum. This would be for scents that fade away after an hour or two. If for no other reason, I wait for at least half a day so that I can fairly rate their longevity and sillage. For some, I test them a few times because I'm not really sure how I feel about them after a single wear. 

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands How much time do you take before you post a review?
Jump to