Search Forum

EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members

526 - 550 by 593
11 months ago 5
Bellondee

Thank you for the warm welcome! This seems like a place after my heart. I promise that I will not be spreading negativity. I would only engage in politics here if it were to defend someone against bullying and to protect their human rights. With your lovely policy and a useful report button, that shouldn’t be necessary. I hope that I can contribute in a positive way when I get my bearings 

Same here! I also only want to organize my collections and talk with others about fragrances.

Parfumo feels very safe. The community is set up to keep out politics and bullying while also supporting everyone in their fragrance journey. That's all any of us who defected want too, I would hope.

The UI is also the best I've ever used on a fragrance site. It really is top tier. I'm so pleased to be here.

Thank you, Parfumo community, for making us feel so welcome! ❤️

11 months ago 6
Controversy

I am not new here on Parfumo but left Fragrantica about 3 months ago due to the relentless insults and discriminatory and hateful comments in the articles. And the way E. kept adding salt to the wounds was really disgusting. In my opinion, an editor-in-chief who doesn't even protect her own team of writers is the cause of the exodus within Fragrantica. I also read Patric's article and I felt how much pain and sorrow it caused him that his article, written with care and dedication, was so exploited by hateful comments. Once again it was E. who fanned the fire of demeaning and hateful comments. If this happened in an article that she wrote, you knew in advance that the article would soon be removed.... If even team members/writers/perfumers like John and Miguel stand up for Patric, it must ring a bell by her, right? And... the article was removed when almost only positive reactions were posted by members. I have never been active in the forum & articles, only when I just started (2016) on Fragrantica but I was active on Fragram. Also there's a lot of disrespect going on the last few months. If you can read between the lines you know that Fragrantica /Fragram is not a safe place to to be.

English is not my native language so some words/expressions may be misrepresented but I guess you all understand what I mean

You are so right, Controversy.

It was apalling seeing E and Z incite and encourage the vitriol against one of their writers. And then for the article to be removed when positive comments outweighed the despicable ones. The positive ones E didn't outright remove anyway.

I truly hope that Patric as well as Miguel and John move on to somewhere that appreciates them and their work, like Parfumo. They deserve so much better.

11 months ago 6
Proudwing

I haven't had any horrible experiences myself as I never really talked to anyone. (I've heard of the rampant homophobia and transphobia though, yikes.) The main reason I left is that the UI here is so much cleaner and more intuitive. It feels like the 90's on Fragrantica and not in a good way. The fact that the owners are anti-vaxxers is another nail in the coffin.

Hi Proudwing, 

I’ve always thought the same thing about Fragrantica’s UI! It’s so wonky and user-unfriendly (likely done on purpose no doubt). And yeah, the whole anti-vax, anti-climate crisis had long been huge turn-offs for me. The hate speech towards the LGBTQ+ community and allies was my final nail in the coffin. 

11 months ago 4
DonVanVliet

It is with great excitement that I extend a warm welcome to our new members joining us from different corners of the fragrance world. Parfumo is meant to be a place for those who share a passion for exploring fragrance! 👋

When I set out on the journey to create Parfumo almost 15 years ago, my vision was clear: I wanted to create a place where all fragrance lovers, regardless of their background, could come together to discuss and share their common passion for fragrances. This is still the guiding principle today!
Here at Parfumo, our common bond is our shared love for fragrances. It is this shared passion that brings us together, allowing us to appreciate the beauty of our diverse community. And in this diversity, we advocate for a universal respect for each other's individuality and refrain from engaging in political discussions.

This is a space created exclusively for you to explore the fragrance world, without the distractions or disruptions often associated with politics. As much as political discussions have their relevance, I firmly believe that our platform isn't the place for them. We've consciously made this choice to ensure that Parfumo remains a peaceful haven, where discussions revolve solely around our shared olfactory passions.

Moreover, tolerance is not just a virtue Parfumo strives for, it is a fundamental element of our community. Every member, old and new, is expected to respect this principle. We envisage a community that nurtures each other’s passion for fragrances, an environment free from unrelated distractions or discordance.

Once more, we are thrilled to have you with us. By being a part of Parfumo, you are contributing to a community that truly embodies the very essence of fragrance appreciation. I am confident that together we can create an enriching space where we all can explore, learn and share in the magic of fragrances!

Thanks DonVanVliet I have been enjoying coming here every day. It is one of the last places I can come to escape as nearly every other site that has politics discussed ends up in arguments and I would hate for that to happen here too. I hope people read his response and take note of it for the future. 

Now time to enjoy our fragrances even if this is day 3 of my break, man it’s so hard 😭 lol

Just a couple days and I will be smelling nice again 😊

11 months ago 7

Hi kids! Longtime Fragrantica user and reviewer moving over here. (Packing up my toys lol) But seriously, yes to everything that has already been stated in this conversation. I thought the politics were getting so weird and there was too much hate. This site looks great, I wonder whatever took me so long. (old habits yadda yadda)

Anyway, nice to be here, it really has a different vibe which is a breath of fresh air. Expect to see many many reviews from me showing up here. XOXO

11 months ago 4

A question to all the former fragranticans:

Will you transfer your old reviews? I posted a few fresh ones that I had saved on my phone but never put on fragrantica, and I already had to modify them a bit because some of them contained corrections about the wrong notes lists on there 🤣 now I don't plan to dump all my 1000+ old reviews at once into Parfumo, but I'm wondering by which criteria others use to chose what to repost and what to leave in the past.

And oh man, over there I always felt like I wrote long-winded, rambling reviews and had to get to the point, but on here I feel like my reviews are almost a bit simple. It makes sense because they have almost no moderation besides the downvotes, so any pointless low quality "This is a masterpiece!!!! Bought it 10 minutes ago and already love it!!! Compliments 10/10" drivel stays up, but I still find it interesting how different I perceive my own writing in a new context. Wild. 

I gotta admit that I find it a lot easier to rate on the love/like/ok/dislike/hate system than to give an exact rating for each fragrance. Do you read reviews without a numeric rating or is this weird? I've never been the type who loves to rate everything on a scale. I always feel like it boils down to too many things getting a 7/10.

And I miss the big symbols for the voted notes a little, it's easier to see what a fragrance is all about on fragrantica. Maybe parfumo could get an option to show the votes on notes in a more eye-catching, clear way someday?But... I'd rather have small symbols than wrong notes on every other fragrance 😅 (or hate speech, or a Julian Assange banner on a perfume website 🙃) 

11 months ago 1
DogiCoco

Will you transfer your old reviews? I posted a few fresh ones that I had saved on my phone but never put on fragrantica, and I already had to modify them a bit because some of them contained corrections about the wrong notes lists on there 🤣 now I don't plan to dump all my 1000+ old reviews at once into Parfumo, but I'm wondering by which criteria others use to chose what to repost and what to leave in the past.

And oh man, over there I always felt like I wrote long-winded, rambling reviews and had to get to the point, but on here I feel like my reviews are almost a bit simple. It makes sense because they have almost no moderation besides the downvoted, so any pointless low quality "This is a masterpiece!!!! Bought it 10 minutes ago and already love it!!! Compliments 10/10" drivel stays up, but I still find it interesting how different I perceive my own writing in a new context. Wild. 

I gotta admit that I find it a lot easier to rate on the love/like/ok/dislike/hate system than to give an exact rating for each fragrance. Do you read reviews without a numeric rating or is this weird? I've never been the type who loves to rate everything on a scale. I always feel like it boils down to too many things getting a 7/10.

And I miss the big symbols for the voted notes a little, it's easier to see what a fragrance is all about on fragrantica. Maybe parfumo could get an option to show the votes on notes in a more eye-catching, clear way someday?But... I'd rather have small symbols than wrong notes on every other fragrance 😅 (or hate speech, or a Julian Assange banner on a perfume website 🙃) 

I had almost 100 reviews over there but decided to just delete them. I'm going to write completely new reviews for Parfumo, as the mood takes me. I was at the very beginning of my fragrance journey, so I don't feel those reviews reflect my thoughts much anymore anyway.

I'm trying to get used to the differences at Parfumo as well. One thing I miss are the sheer number of reviews for each fragrance but, as you said, the majority of the ones over there were pointless at best. I had to wade through all that to find the relatively few helpful ones. But I hope that all that will come to Parfumo with time - more reviews, that is, while maintaining quality. The quality of reviews here are so much better. I also like the separation between Reviews and Statements. I may end up writing Statements instead of full on Reviews, for most fragrances.

Rating by numbers instead of like/dislike etc has been taking some getting used to but, in the end, I like it better. It makes me have to give my ratings proper thought which, again, means higher quality of ratings on Parfumo. Of course it's much easier to choose like/dislike and so forth. But I found that I was just putting everything into dislike anyway if it wasn't something I liked enough to buy.

I'm not sure that note ratings over at the other place were necessarily helpful. One thing I do find that I miss is the text from fragrance press releases or whatever they're called. I quite liked those, for some reason, but I'm sure I'll get along without those since they are, after all, just the fragrance house's PR and not much more.

Other than that, I haven't found anything else that I'm missing or wish Parfumo had. Although I've only been here for almost a week, so I'm still getting to know and learn Parfumo myself. I very much appreciate the vibe here, comparatively. It's so much more safe, welcoming, and laidback.

11 months ago 2

now I don't plan to dump all my 1000+ old reviews at once into Parfumo, but I'm wondering by which criteria others use to chose what to repost and what to leave in the past.

I am considering this very thing today, as I have hundreds of reviews that I am rather proud of and also think they could be useful to readers here. I am starting the transfer process by selecting the reviews of my all time favorite scents and limiting the amount I post in a day to not spam the reviews feed with too many from me at once.

11 months ago
DogiCoco

And oh man, over there I always felt like I wrote long-winded, rambling reviews and had to get to the point, but on here I feel like my reviews are almost a bit simple. It makes sense because they have almost no moderation besides the downvotes, so any pointless low quality "This is a masterpiece!!!! Bought it 10 minutes ago and already love it!!! Compliments 10/10" drivel stays up, but I still find it interesting how different I perceive my own writing in a new context. Wild. 

I saved a few of mine but just deleted most of them.  I'll share those.

11 months ago
DogiCoco

Will you transfer your old reviews? I posted a few fresh ones that I had saved on my phone but never put on fragrantica, and I already had to modify them a bit because some of them contained corrections about the wrong notes lists on there 🤣 now I don't plan to dump all my 1000+ old reviews at once into Parfumo, but I'm wondering by which criteria others use to choose what to repost and what to leave in the past.

Not necessarily. What I am doing is reevaluating my original reviews by wearing the fragrances again to see if my impressions of them have changed. If so, I either write a new review or rework the original to reflect the change. There is a difference between the review format here compared to there. There, reviews are mostly informal, with a lot of people new to perfumes and notes. We've all been there and that is good as a learning curve. I find that Parfumo has a lot of very good, very experienced reviewers who are able to describe notes, accords, and performance issues very well, usually in an interesting, informative, and beautiful way. I found something similar with Basenote's reviews, which also has very experienced reviewers too, including many known people like Luca Turin, Barbara Herman, and various perfumers/owners, as members), though I think that site is on its way out simply because it is a one-man show running the place and one person cannot do it all and run it well, especially on a site that has thousands of users. Which is too bad because Grant, the owner, is a very nice person who seems to love this hobby as much as we do. 

11 months ago 2

Thank you for all the replies 💐

I think I will do it like this:

- Repost my recent reviews from this year and last year, where I still remember sampling, with slight tweaks when necessary.

- Reevaluate and repost reviews of all the fragrances I own, with new impressions if applicable.

- Repost some older reviews of unknown fragrances that don't have a review yet, maybe with a disclaimer that it's been a while since I tested them.

- Some of my old reviews, especially of well-known scents, will just be left in the past. I can't retest everything and I won't mindlessly dump everything I wrote since 2016 😱

Of course I will also post new stuff, so be warned, it will be a lot 😊 I hope my reviews will help to make the English Parfumo feel more lively.

The German site has quite a good mix right now, it's active, but not riddled with non-descriptive blah blah like fragrantica tends to be. I guess thoughtful moderation really works better than community-based downvoting.

11 months ago
Arcenciel

Rating by numbers instead of like/dislike etc has been taking some getting used to but, in the end, I like it better. It makes me have to give my ratings proper thought which, again, means higher quality of ratings on Parfumo. Of course it's much easier to choose like/dislike and so forth. But I found that I was just putting everything into dislike anyway if it wasn't something I liked enough to buy.

Haha, I used "dislike" much more sparingly, only for fragrances I really didn't like at all.No matter which system we use, people will always have different ideas of a what a rating means. Therefore I find reviews + statements more helpful than ratings anyways. Still not sure what to do about my own ratings though 🤔

I'm not sure that note ratings over at the other place were necessarily helpful. 

I found them very helpful for a quick first glance. By the way, we can vote for notes on Parfumo, too, and the notes with the highest votings also get bigger, but it's more subtle than on fragrantica. I would like it to be a little more obvious. Maybe as an option to chose from, just like you can hide the note pictures.
11 months ago 2
DogiCoco

Haha, I used "dislike" much more sparingly, only for fragrances I really didn't like at all.No matter which system we use, people will always have different ideas of a what a rating means. Therefore I find reviews + statements more helpful than ratings anyways. Still not sure what to do about my own ratings though 🤔

I found them very helpful for a quick first glance. By the way, we can vote for notes on Parfumo, too, and the notes with the highest votings also get bigger, but it's more subtle than on fragrantica. I would like it to be a little more obvious. Maybe as an option to chose from, just like you can hide the note pictures.

I agree that reviews and statements are more helpful than rating systems. Although I like that we rate the overall as well as bottle, longevity, etc. That's all very helpful. A fragrance may not be great but may have a beautiful bottle and great longevity, which I find interesting.

Do you mean voting on the accords, which at the other place was achieved by rating individual notes? Voting on the actual accords I do find extremely helpful. The various pie charts are wonderful too. If there's a way to rate individual notes, though, I've yet to discover it because I'm still learning the site.

Sorry if I misinterpreted anything you said. I'm autistic so I take things literally and miss nuances usually. 

Parfumo's UI is amazing for organizing and visualizing information in a meaningful way. There's so much that Parfumo has to offer. It's fantastic!

11 months ago 3

No worries, it's all good 🤗
 There actually is a way to vote on individual notes on here! You click on the note on the site of a perfume and a little window were you can rate the note pops up. On some perfume sites you will notice that the font of some notes is larger or smaller, that's because of the votes.So yeah, this is one of the few things that I find more intuitive and clear on fragrantica.

The votes on accords is a great feature, very useful for a quick overview.

11 months ago 1
DogiCoco

No worries, it's all good 🤗
 There actually is a way to vote on individual notes on here! You click on the note on the site of a perfume and a little window were you can rate the note pops up. On some perfume sites you will notice that the font of some notes is larger or smaller, that's because of the votes.So yeah, this is one of the few things that I find more intuitive and clear on fragrantica.

The votes on accords is a great feature, very useful for a quick overview.

Thank you for pointing that out! Now that I know it's there, I understand what you mean. I like that the image/font is bigger or smaller, compared to the number of votes at the other place. I agree the difference in size of the image/font could be even greater.

I really like that not only is the rating for the strength of the note, but whether it's sensed as overall, top, middle, bottom, etc. I don't yet see a way to look at those ratings for that part, beyond the strength of individuals notes. It's all very interesting, though.

11 months ago 1
Arcenciel

I really like that not only is the rating for the strength of the note, but whether it's sensed as overall, top, middle, bottom, etc. I don't yet see a way to look at those ratings for that part, beyond the strength of individuals notes. It's all very interesting, though.

Yeah I had a look around at that yesterday to try find the vote tally but couldn’t find it. I am going to make a post about it. 

10 months ago 8

The past months I've been making a slow transition from Fragrantica to this place. I don't enjoy how they manage to incorporate anti-science and bigotted politics into the world of perfumes. I'm very pro-science and I have a lot of respect for scientists, and I simply don't like bigotry. Past autumn or winter I stopped engaging on their English-speaking forum. I stayed on the forum in my native language a little longer, but I don't even know what to get out of that anymore. Just being on that website feels icky and I've encouraged people who have issues with the politics of Fragrantica to switch to Parfumo more than once.

Anyway, on Fragrantica I used to write very long reviews. I like how here you can choose between reviews and statements and I actually prefer to write statements over reviews, because statements force me to edit my thoughts and summarize the most important points I want to communicate. Plus, I like how the assistant feature makes me more conscious of the fragrances that I already own and how often I wear them. When I see that I haven't worn half of the 16 fragrances that are recommended to me in weeks, that motivates me to find a suitable moment to wear them. This in turn motivates me to ask myself if I truly need a certain fragrance that I want to buy, which is something I truly need since I am prone to overspending (long live ADHD).

I don't really know what I wanted to say with this post. Take this as an announcement that my switch is final and as a hello. 

10 months ago 5

I also left because of that mess of a comment section after the JPG Pride article. I was never a fan of the heated politics discussions but could easily avoid them. Also really loved trading on there and the people I met through that were stellar. 

Seeing how supportive comments on the article were flat-out deleted and there was just pure hate left when it was such a beautifully written article too, ugh. It hurt my heart as a member of the LGBTQIA+ fam. 
Haven't really figured out the souk here so that was what was holding me back but honestly every day I opened the site I felt icky supporting this mess.

10 months ago 4
RoseMay

I also left because of that mess of a comment section after the JPG Pride article. I was never a fan of the heated politics discussions but could easily avoid them. Also really loved trading on there and the people I met through that were stellar. 

Seeing how supportive comments on the article were flat-out deleted and there was just pure hate left when it was such a beautifully written article too, ugh. It hurt my heart as a member of the LGBTQIA+ fam. 
Haven't really figured out the souk here so that was what was holding me back but honestly every day I opened the site I felt icky supporting this mess.

It's awful you were subjected to all that hateful nonsense.  I think you'll like it here.  Parfumo has more accurate info about the notes in fragrances.  The people are kind, and the reviews are fantastic-SO much better than Fragrantica.  Welcome!!

10 months ago 10

Jumped ship because I choose not to support assholes. 🤷‍♀️

I also prefer the way things are categorized and searchable here- more granular. 

9 months ago 5
Rachelg

Jumped ship because I choose not to support assholes. 🤷‍♀️

OMG I was going to write a long post about the reasons why I will be leaving Fragrantica permanently soon but you summarized everything I was going to say in this one short sentence. 😂 So thank you, yes, indeed 100 % this. I tolerated Fragrantica for 9 years (!!!) because I thought there were no proper options. Now I know better and embrace the wonderful Parfumo community, everything seems so much better in here.

9 months ago 1
OMG I was going to write a long post about the reasons why I will be leaving Fragrantica permanently soon but you summarized everything I was going to say in this one short sentence. 😂 So thank you, yes, indeed 100 % this. I tolerated Fragrantica for 9 years (!!!) because I thought there were no proper options. Now I know better and embrace the wonderful Parfumo community, everything seems so much better in here.
Never too late to see the light! Welcome to Parfumo ✌
9 months ago 1
Kurai
OMG I was going to write a long post about the reasons why I will be leaving Fragrantica permanently soon but you summarized everything I was going to say in this one short sentence. 😂 So thank you, yes, indeed 100 % this. I tolerated Fragrantica for 9 years (!!!) because I thought there were no proper options. Now I know better and embrace the wonderful Parfumo community, everything seems so much better in here.
Never too late to see the light! Welcome to Parfumo ✌

Indeed, and thanks a million!! My welcome here has been so super warm, it feels great. 🥰 By the way, I noticed that you are a moderator, are you a mod at the photo section as well? Or who is? I asked a question about photo rules in the newbie topic but didn't get any answer so I was wondering if I could PM my question to someone. Thank you!

9 months ago 1
Indeed, and thanks a million!! My welcome here has been so super warm, it feels great. 🥰 By the way, I noticed that you are a moderator, are you a mod at the photo section as well? Or who is? I asked a question about photo rules in the newbie topic but didn't get any answer so I was wondering if I could PM my question to someone. Thank you!

Hi @Lempi, thanks for reaching out!  I’ll write an answer to your question in that thread, so we can keep this one on the Fragrantica topic

9 months ago 1
Kurai

Hi @Lempi, thanks for reaching out!  I’ll write an answer to your question in that thread, so we can keep this one on the Fragrantica topic

Great, thank you so much!! 🙏🥰

526 - 550 by 593
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Parfumo Community EXILED! The stories from Defected Fragrantican Members
Jump to