Search Forum

Am I the only weido or...

Am I the only weido or... 10 months ago 3

Does anyone else avoid certain fragrances for rather silly- not serious- personal reasons?  I can't get past the name "Boy Smells."  It makes me think of the terribly smelly rooms of my nephews, the desperate pleas of their parents for the boys to clean their rooms and the stubborn determination of the boys to stink to high heaven, at least until they noticed girls and in one instance boys and decided maybe their parents, aunts & uncles were on to something with this whole "smelling nice" thing.

10 months ago 1

What a funny way to describe this. You think the brand Boy Smells took this into consideration before launching? Also, yes of course - fragrance preferences are highly personal, and I think it's entirely possible to avoid or even hate a fragrance for no obvious reason. For example, I wouldn't experiment with fragrances introduced by new brands.

10 months ago 1
Salahharake

What a funny way to describe this. You think the brand Boy Smells took this into consideration before launching? Also, yes of course - fragrance preferences are highly personal, and I think it's entirely possible to avoid or even hate a fragrance for no obvious reason. For example, I wouldn't experiment with fragrances introduced by new brands.

I suspect, if they took any negative connotations in mind, they liked their name even more, as a bit of a wink.  I also think maybe more than one parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle will see the brand, and will walk away thinking, "No- been there; done that; ain't going back!"  Or maybe it's just me. πŸ€ͺ

10 months ago 2

the names of contemporary brands or the names of contemporary fragrances try to be shocking or teasing.

i wanted to try a sample of Nassomato black afgano,but when I found out this was the name of a variety of smoking cannabis and the perfume has the note of cannabis I said Please no way!

Besides that it doesn't tell us what kind of smell the boy smells like..It could be Axe or Old Spice original ,they don't smell the same! Lol

10 months ago

@Tzapan but at the end of the day, it's the end-result that counts, no? If, eventually, you discover that the fragrance is actually pretty nice, who cares about the connotation? 

10 months ago 2
Salahharake

@Tzapan but at the end of the day, it's the end-result that counts, no? If, eventually, you discover that the fragrance is actually pretty nice, who cares about the connotation?

There are some connotations/associations people don't wish to or simply cannot overcome. Some don't buy Hugo Boss because he designed the SS uniforms for the Nazis. Some don't like highly sexualized names or fragrances named for or including drugs. Some aversions are silly, like my thing with "Boy Smells," but I sure wouldn't buy KokainKokain for a friend who is a recovering addict, and I wouldn't buy Kokain SeemannKokain Seemann for anyone, myself included, because I find fragrances, which sound like they were named by 12 year-old boys trying to shock their moms, immature and annoying. So, it's all about individual taste and experience. There isn't a right or wrong here. πŸ˜€

9 months ago 2

It annoys me but yes, I also get hung up on silly things like names with certain connotations...which I find ridiculous because names are just marketing and often have nothing to do with the perfume composition itself; but I can't help it πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Funny though, I always read "Boy smells" as an active verb, not as in "boy smelling of something" but "boy smelling/sniffing something" πŸ‘ƒπŸŒ·

9 months ago 2

Wow I didn't know about Hugo Boss:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

And I have a suit from them (handed down by my brother-in-law but still). Boss Bottled (Eau de Toilette)Boss Bottled Eau de Toilette is a scent from my youth which I was considering to offert to my soon-to-be-16 years old... But well, no. I am more shocked by this association than with others (I guess the managers/designers/perfumers nowadays don't have anything to do with nazis, but still they keep the name of their founder).

I sure won't buy any drug themed fragrance for an ex addict... But then what of alcool or tobacco names (or notes!) which are aplenty...

For those who are hard-trying to shock with the names of their new thing (Tom Ford?) I am just rolling my eyes at the marketing stuff and try to base my appreciation on the actual juice... As long as their shtik don't offense me too much (everyone has their limits, and it is absolutely not being a weirdo to have them).

I really like Mugler Cologne - Fly AwayMugler Cologne - Fly Away for example, a benign name with a supposed secret "C- note" (I can't insert a smiley here, but for sure it is the rolling eye one). Granted, it has a cannabis note, but if you thing of it as an herbacious note it is well done and I really enjoy it. But I can understand it may shock someone else.

Thank you for the topic.

9 months ago 2
LouBe

Wow I didn't know about Hugo Boss:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

And I have a suit from them (handed down by my brother-in-law but still). Boss Bottled (Eau de Toilette)Boss Bottled Eau de Toilette is a scent from my youth which I was considering to offert to my soon-to-be-16 years old... But well, no. I am more shocked by this association than with others (I guess the managers/designers/perfumers nowadays don't have anything to do with nazis, but still they keep the name of their founder).

Thank you for the topic.

A lot of people don't know about Hugo Boss and the Nazis, and I agree the collaborators are all dead now. I avoid HB more out of habit because my family didn't patronize HB for decades after WWII. If I fund something I like from Hugo Boss, I'd have no trouble buying it now.

9 months ago 2
Nushka

It annoys me but yes, I also get hung up on silly things like names with certain connotations...which I find ridiculous because names are just marketing and often have nothing to do with the perfume composition itself; but I can't help it πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Funny though, I always read "Boy smells" as an active verb, not as in "boy smelling of something" but "boy smelling/sniffing something" πŸ‘ƒπŸŒ·

I am exactly the same way about certain names.  I feel rather silly, but I just can't buy them.  THANK YOU for giving me a new way to frame "Boy Smells" that my brain can handle!

9 months ago 1

I agree RE: Boy Smells.  I feel the same way about the Ded Cool line, in that it's just such a dumb name.

9 months ago 2
Ostara

I agree RE: Boy Smells.  I feel the same way about the Ded Cool line, in that it's just such a dumb name.

I knew I could not be alone with the Boy Smells aversion- I just knew it!  Agree also about Ded Cool.  Just no, not cool at all.

9 months ago 1
KathrynA66
Salahharake

There are some connotations/associations people don't wish to or simply cannot overcome. Some don't buy Hugo Boss because he designed the SS uniforms for the Nazis. Some don't like highly sexualized names or fragrances named for or including drugs. Some aversions are silly, like my thing with "Boy Smells," but I sure wouldn't buy KokainKokain for a friend who is a recovering addict, and I wouldn't buy Kokain SeemannKokain Seemann for anyone, myself included, because I find fragrances, which sound like they were named by 12 year-old boys trying to shock their moms, immature and annoying. So, it's all about individual taste and experience. There isn't a right or wrong here. πŸ˜€

I have to admit I avoid Chanel for the same reason. It doesn't help that Karl Lagerfeld was also generally odious.

8 months ago 1

I personally avoid celeb scents...I know I'm probably missing out on some lovely fragrances because of that, but I just don't want a personality to be connected to any scent I'm wearing.

I also avoid scents that I know to be worn by people I don't like...Very childish, I know...

I guess I'm over-sensitive to associations.

And scents that have too many flankers, they confuse me....

And I avoid limited editions: I am too scared that I will grow to love them and then have to see them disappear ( a sort of 'fear of commitment' Smile )

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Discussions Am I the only weido or...
Jump to