Fahrenheit

Fahrenheit 1988 Eau de Toilette

Fahrenheit (Eau de Toilette) by Dior
Bottle Design Marie-Christine de Sayn-Wittgenstein
Ranked 40 in Men's Perfume
A popular perfume by Dior for men, released in 1988. The scent is leathery-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.
Pronunciation

Leathery
Floral
Smoky

CedarCedar ChamomileChamomile LavenderLavender Mandarin orangeMandarin orange BergamotBergamot HawthornHawthorn LemonLemon MaceMace
Violet leafViolet leaf CedarCedar NutmegNutmeg SandalwoodSandalwood CarnationCarnation HoneysuckleHoneysuckle JasmineJasmine Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
LeatherLeather MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli VetiverVetiver AmberAmber Tonka beanTonka bean

Perfumers

Videos
Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.06.2024.
Interesting Facts
The fragrance is part of the "Fahrenheit" collection.

Smells similar

What the fragrance is similar to
Fahrenheit (After-Shave Lotion) by Dior
Portrayal Man

8.5

1 Review
Top Review 24
When I learned to sit still on the plane
The eighties: that was for me during the holidays the time of city trips with my parents. London, Amsterdam, Paris... later long distance. At that time flying was a little more expensive than today, but we were part of the group of standby passengers: checking in on time, arriving at the gate even more punctually. You were not allowed on board until all passengers had boarded. Then it was the turn of the Staff and his family. Therefore we could be assigned 'First Class' or a Jumpseat. For me as a child, the latter was of course not a problem. In case of doubt, a glance at the seniority of the employee could decide on the flight and thus the trip. It was not uncommon for it to remain exciting whether we even flew with them and it was not uncommon for there to be intrigues between the employees of the aviation company.

Breakthrough, vibrating waiting at the gate. The thought always present, how the thing with the suitcases ends - these have already been loaded into the plane.

-In this situation no other fragrance fitted better than Fahrenheit; omnipresent with my father.
Of course, the properties of chamomile such as 'soothing' or 'relaxing' in this fragrance need to be thoroughly reconsidered. Here camomile and lavender dominate in an unmistakable way. Primed, among other ingredients, by the very sharp and headstrong Vetiver. A fragrance of high tension and straightforwardness.

Fahrenheit made history. Even though he is not one of the ancestors, he is still a classic and absolutely unmistakable. He's unique. Camomile and lavender, both components of many feel-good fragrances, are so unmistakably integrated here with the austerity of vetiver and leather.
He's a big one. He has conveyed a zeitgeist of the end of the 80s. Back then in a very new way.

Helpful Review 34
Testosterone day. The first and hopefully the last.
I felt manly today.
Must have been something hormonal.

Since I was already out shopping anyway, I stomped into the drugstore with my legs apart and my arms bent I could just about resist the urge to smooch my non-existent biceps.

The rest of my mind that was still peeking out of this wave of hormones had explained to me:
Don't spend too much money on it, tomorrow you'll be wearing Delina Exklusif again anyway. To which the testosterone added: You sissy.

So I marched straight towards the most masculine of all masculine fragrances I could think of: Fahrenheit.

Full of hope, I sprayed plenty of it under and on my shirt while I was still thinking: What a lovely bottle and what a pretty color.

The testosterone rolled its eyes in annoyance.

I was expecting something like good old Tabac, but what I got elicited a hysterical shriek and an uncharming "what the hell is that".

The testosterone decided to leave.
Too embarrassing and too hopeless here.

Scent pyramid, who needs that?
Under my shirt and around me, it immediately smelled like heating oil, car tires, gas station, the leather interior of a new car, righteous man sweat and, for some dubious reason, chamomile tea with honey.

Nothing changed, scent progression seems to be an invention of mimosas.

After the initial shock was over, I actually found it pleasant. Maybe it's because I generally like the smell of gasoline but never thought about it before.
But I don't want to smell it.
I really don't.
Especially not so penetrating and persistent.

If you want to smell heterosexual, Fahrenheit is exactly the right scent for you.
For real guys who can't be knocked out, who go to the gym every day after work in the garage to steel their body and then go out clubbing and hitting the ladies until five in the morning.

For my part, I went home, had a shower, got the Delina out, put on my comfy slippers and treated myself to a camomile tea with honey.

Very helpful Review 35
Eulogy for an old friend
Where is it, this note... Oh, there it is. Phew, I don't do this every day. Just no tears... Ok, here we go:
Everything used to be better, as the saying goes. But was it really like that? No! If I could go back, I probably wouldn't. It's been a long and hard road to get here, but it's been worth it. Family, friends, knowing that... all that and much more tells me that I've arrived.
But there are still often these moments. Moments when I think back and remember. Moments when I stand in the supermarket and wish for all the things I had back then. No zero, no light or anything like that. Just childlike joy at the taste, smell and look.
Moments when I think of my old friend and loyal companion.
I close my eyes and am there again...
On the street...
The brightly colored Bravo Limit magazine in my hand and swapping the latest wrestling cards with my buddies. Bret Hart and Hogan were of course very popular. I remember the Hulk Hogan poster on my bedroom door.

With the grandparents...
The dark yellow, red and green can of Fanta Mango in my hand hisshhh. The unmistakable smell in my nose. Oh, what I would give for another can!
Later came the pink grapefruit and of course Coke from Tifanny glasses with a green pattern.

At the kiosk...
Sticker album underwater world and glib gelantine monsters in blue red. Finally, a Sky air chocolate ice cream.

On the coach...
Off on a school trip in the old bus with the thick seat cushions

In the bathroom...
My father puts on Davidoff Zino
And then I'm standing in my mother's bedroom...

In front of me your boyfriend's perfumes.

Joop Homme in pink. Sweet, special.
1881 in the unmistakable icy flacon. Bumy, masculine.
Lagerfeld Photo. The pure soapiness.

and....

This little red bottle that puts all others in the shade.

This is the first time I've seen it. The scent is well known to me, because it often wears it. Floral, leather, somehow an insulin note, tangerine. Somehow this fragrance can't be narrowed down, it's a bit of everything, but definitely present. It fills every room, never goes unnoticed. Masculine, not wearable for everyone. The room still talks about you an hour later after you've left it.

The smell reminds me forever of hot summers, neon yellow Ford Mondeo, Ibo with bungalow in Santa nowhere from the radio.
From the first time I smelled it as a little boy, I was blown away by this scent. There have been many others, but none have ever triggered in me what Fahrenheit did.

As a boy it was my first fragrance, 30ml bottle. How natural it was back then... And what I would give for it again today...
... Years later, in 2020 or 2021, I'll slowly start using fragrances again. Of course I need Fahrenheit. I remember. It's been years and I can't wait to get back to that smell, those emotions and the memory... So off to the perfumery and ordered the 200ml bottle straight away because it was out of stock. I don't need to test it, I know it.
A few days later it arrives and is applied immediately...
Well. Everything used to be better. Fahrenheit, my old companion. I recognize you. Recognize your DNA. But what's wrong with you, old friend? Where is that strength, that presence? You're just a shallow breeze compared to the storm from back then? Four hours and you're gone again.
Now you're standing on the shelf. I like to stop and look at you for a while. I look back and remember our times together. I stand next to you and yet I miss you.
There's still Fanta Mango. Without sugar. Hardly anything reminds me of the smell and taste from back then.

There is still wrestling. But the colorful superheroes are no longer there.

Of course there are still buses. But they seem sterile and impersonal.
And you, my dear Fahrenheit, still exist too. You have grown old and weak, my old friend. Me from today and you from back then, we could both conquer the world. But it's not like that. Where I have arrived, the sentence is true for you:

Everything used to be better.
You're the old dog on the carpet in front of the fireplace. Once the big, strong, proud and splendid self-confident hunter. Today, only your shining eyes give a brief glimpse of your former splendor. You want to get up and stand proud again. But you can't do it. It's over my friend. It's 2024. Sugar is evil. Wrestling is serious. Buses are economic. And you've been reformed to death.
Take care my friend.
Fahrenheit is still the epitome of a perfume for me today. In its former splendor, it still puts every niche fragrance, designer, whatever in the shade for me, even after 100s of tested and well over 100 possessed. It is (was) the egg-laying wool-milk sow.
Masculinity between gas station, freshness, leather and cleanliness.
I've been here for a few years now. Have written several reviews and statements on great fragrances. Wear Simone Andreoli, Roja, Bond and so many others. But who would I be if I didn't have a very special page for you. The most important and emotional of all. You were the beginning. You were niche before niche existed. You've earned it.

Everyone has asked themselves: If you could only have one fragrance... What is the best fragrance for you.
Fahrenheit.
As it once was.
Back then.

1 Review
Helpful Review 18
No EDT, no EDP but Dior Fahrenheit PED (Performance Enhancing Fragrance)
You can only improve performance where there is performance. The fragrance is not a self-runner, it wants to work with you and needs the right mental setting of the wearer. If that's true, this scent drives you forward like doped! Since one should not drive however constantly in the red speed range, this is also no everyday fuel.

If you press the Snooze button eight times in the morning on your alarm clock and just don't get into gear with your Monday mood, you don't need to apply Fahrenheit at all.

You get up motivated and full of energy at 4:30 in the morning. After the morning exercise you slip into your all black outfit freshly showered and say to yourself full of productivity: "Today I'll get down to it! Then give yourself two or three sprays of Fahrenheit and you'll notice with the first scent that your engine is at operating temperature.
It's a long day ahead of you, but you know the durability of the fragrance won't let you down.

The key word is confidence. The scent smells like a determined leader who is not afraid to get his hands dirty. A rich fragrance process that develops great on the skin and depending on skin temperature pulsating scents from the body emitted. One is partly surprised from day to day and discovers new scents.
Fahrenheit can be wild, animalistic and full of testosterone. Modern, clean and noble like leather. Seductive and flowery sweet. And the whole thing is full of perseverance. Simply a timeless machine this fragrance.

If one supports with doping substances, then it is recommended to do this with 25+, if the person is fully grown and self reflective enough.
Compliments come rather from more mature ladies who also know what they want.

If you think evil now, you will see a blunt narcissist as carrier ;)
Dior Fahrenheit is a multi-dimensional fragrance for people who feel comfortable in their skin. With this complexity it enables the development of a multi-dimensional character.

Good ride with Fahrenheit

Top Review 20
A tribute to a classic
A classic, which I actually only got to know years ago through the enthusiasm of my wife and sister-in-law. A classic, which has been described here very often, but which I would like to dedicate a few lines here as a tribute. Like Chanel, Dior is represented several times in my collection, but only Fahrenheit knows how to inspire me. The staircase joke of the story is that I don't perceive the fragrance as strongly as others. Which is a pity, but that's another matter.
If you follow the voices here, I almost have to think that Fahrenheit is only worn at petrol stations or that an employee of an oil rig once put something into the individual bottles at LVMH when he was unobserved. With respect, such exaggerations are nonsense of course. For some people it might be the most masculine perfume of all times, everyone sees it differently and that's okay.
Actually, I appreciate the very harsh and violent opening note, but it doesn't remind me of a gas station but at most of a kind of gasoline ambroxane, Benzin light. Of course, it still smells extraordinarily strong.

This scent wafts around you more or less strongly and does not show a significant progression. Now Fahrenheit has a variety of ingredients and I would like to try what works how: this harsh prelude smells like bitter-bitter citrus fruits on closer analysis. I can well imagine the mixture of not yet ripe tangerine and lemon. When they dominate, they also change ingredients like lavender into a kind of lavender with a darker aura. In my opinion, camomile is then perfectly suited to this scene, as it is rather dull and mildly tart. So you can certainly derive the top notes if you know them. If I wouldn't do that, I would hardly have been able to smell everything, the individual ingredients seem to have changed.

The good cedar can be found several times and yes, you can clearly perceive it. It constantly plays around Fahrenheit and gives it that slightly sublime, inaccessible aura. Since I have a great affinity for cedar in perfumes, I can only appreciate it. I can also guess carnation, but only because I know that it should be included. The characteristic undertone is then also recognizable. Fahrenheit also has a floral and tart undertone, not the often floral sweetness that accompanies it. Violet leaf is described as green herbaceous, which I cannot confirm and is rather perceptible to me as iris. But I may be wrong, because iris root reminds me of leather and such fragrances, cf. Godolphin.
Let's get to the leather. For me, Fahrenheit is not a classic leather scent, and I can't quite place it either. Like the old guard, it definitely doesn't smell and it is not an early forerunner of modern leather either. For me, leather is more a leather accord, which is staged by means of the iris root. At least that's how it seems to me. Furthermore I find that this leather scent is considerably carried by green-grassy tones, which come across rather harsh like after a heavy rain shower.
All in all a classic, which is said to have almost heroic scent characteristics, which is often exaggerated but in the end is a fine and for me still outstanding scent due to its relative uniqueness. Just compare how many leather-saffron perfumes exist. This may be the advantage of many older fragrances; the DNA is usually no longer copied.