Search Forum

Second chance fragrances

Second chance fragrances 11 months ago

Have you ever tried a fragrance, and your first impression of it wasn't that great. Are there any you would try again years later with a new perspective?

Which fragrances are they?

For me it's these:

Sì (Eau de Parfum)Eau de Parfum

Shalimar (Eau de Parfum)Shalimar Eau de Parfum

Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum)Mon Guerlain Eau de Parfum

11 months ago

Not years but months yes

one i hated at first but now love is Light Blue pour Homme Eau IntenseLight Blue pour Homme Eau Intense

Oh yes actually to years, i hated my dads Aramis (Eau de Toilette)Aramis Eau de Toilette

but now actually like it. It reminds me of when he was much healthier and full of life

10 months ago 1

For me it’s the case of HermesAmazone. I sold my bottle just to get it back a year later. The woman who bought it from me changed her mind. But now I am wearing it here and there and I am suddenly loving it! 

10 months ago
10 months ago

very easy to answer for me. When it was first launched, I just did not get it. Why would anybody want to smell like this ? Fast-forward many many years ... I am now in love with it and all of its flankers

A*Men / Angel MenA*Men

10 months ago

Datura noir (Eau de Parfum)Datura noir Eau de Parfum - had a sample and thought it was too cool (in every sense of the word) for me to wear it. Kept testing it for two years always thinking- nah, not for me.

Then I bought a bottle 🥰

J'adore (Eau de Parfum Infinissime)J'adore Eau de Parfum Infinissime - had a few samples, thought the scent was boring and wore it just to geth through the samples, then grew to love and bought a bottle 🥰

10 months ago

Blind bought CK Euphoria Amber Gold because it was so hard to find here in Europe, limited edition, only for Middle Eastern market, yadda yadda. Hated it so much, such a heavy heavy fragrance. Then it kind of grew on me, right now I don't hate it anymore. It's not a love, I use it pretty rarely, but I will use the bottle up, I won't sell it away nor will I toss it out.

10 months ago

I initially hated Bitter Peach (Eau de Parfum)Bitter Peach Eau de Parfum when I first smelled it earlier this year. could not imagine why anyone would want to smell like that. came back to the fragrance counter a few weeks later and loved it, now I just have to wait until I make some dents in my current collection and I might buy either a travel size or bottle for my birthday later this year I suppose

10 months ago

Great topic!

There are many fragrances I started off disliking but grew to love. The biggest "hate to absolute love" for me was Shalimar Parfum InitialShalimar Parfum Initial. I smelled it everywhere. At the time I thought I hated patchouli in perfume. Then one afternoon, a woman standing next to me at ULTA doused herself in it. She got me pretty good with several residual sprays. I couldn't wash it off so I told myself to just bear with it till I got home. But oh my, how it blossomed. After that I was hooked. I ran out and bought the biggest bottle. I haven't been without a bottle since then.

9 months ago

A couple absolute favorites come to mind-

Verte Violette. I was hunting for a very green voilette specifically when I first sampled. Didn’t find it green or bitter enough. Later, bored and just retrying samples, realized what a lovely scent it was in its own right. 

Quelques Fleurs l’original. This didn’t take month or years- more like 10 minutes. First spray, I was taken aback and annoyed. Way too strong, sharp, “perfumey”. On my skin, 10 minutes later and my nose was glued to my wrist. 

9 months ago

Glow by JLo. I got it for many years ago as a Christmas present, but since I knew I didnt like it, I sold it. Last autumn I smelled it again in a store and liked it very much. So now it is in my collection

9 months ago

Fougère Royale (2010) (Eau de Parfum)Fougère Royale (2010) Eau de Parfum was one I initially disliked, especially in the opening, now it's one of my favourites!

Tuscany per Uomo / Etruscan (Eau de Toilette)Tuscany per Uomo Eau de Toilette smelt sort of dirty and earthy, now it still smells quite earthy but I mainly get a lovely, rich geranium note from it. It just smells very authentically of the Mediterranean countryside to me now. I think it's partly over 2 years of oxidation, partly a change in my perception and a broader appreciation of different fragrances that is responsible.

Égoïste (Eau de Toilette)Égoïste Eau de Toilette I found overwhelmingly rich and cloying almost to the point of wanting to vomit about half a dozen years ago. With a very light application of a couple of sprays I love wearing it now and find it cosy, comforting and elegant!

9 months ago

maybe Charlie Blue (Eau de Toilette)Charlie Blue Eau de Toilette

but I'm not sure. it was so strong and gave me a bad headache. still, I feel like there's something in there to enjoy. maybe someday.

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Discussions Second chance fragrances
Jump to