Search Forum

Best animalic fragrances

Best animalic fragrances 14 days ago

Hi, 

What are you favorite animalic fragrances? I know there are levels to this and it seems my threshold is going higher. I now can easily wear and enjoy something like Pana Dora - Grand Musk, Nishane- Afrika Olifant, Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur, Dior- Oud Ispahan, Ajmal- Mukhallat Shams. 

Some of the things are thrown around are really hard to purchase or discontinued. The likes of Peau de Bete -Les Liquides Imaginaires, Papillon- Salome, Bal a Versailles, Muscs Koublai Khan - Serge Lutens , Amouage- Opus IX etc. 

Looking forward to your opinions on the most animalic fragrances you like that can stil be (decently) purchased. 

Thank you.

13 days ago 1

Musk Khabib (Extrait de Parfum)Musk Khabib Extrait de Parfum is probably my favorite animalic. Soft cozy deer musk along with some woody/sweet notes.

13 days ago 1
Omnipotato

Musk Khabib (Extrait de Parfum)Musk Khabib Extrait de Parfum is probably my favorite animalic. Soft cozy deer musk along with some woody/sweet notes.

This sounds really good and I see the reviews are fantastic. I need to get a decant or sample as it's not a cheap fragrance to blind buy. Thank you for the recommendation.

11 days ago

some of my favs:

SalomeSalome (hyraceum, jasmine, carnation and other things)

Mandodari / มณโฑMandodari (Civet, opium, tuberose, gardenia)

UnutamamUnutamam (castoreum, rosemary, oregano, carnation, mint)

StercusStercus (castoreum, dark woods)

The Lover's TaleThe Lover's Tale (sweaty leather, costus-like weird skin accord, I think either civet or castoreum, peach among other things)

Oud Maximus (2020)Oud Maximus (2020) (civet, and castoreum and deer musk and an animal oud)

Tonnerre / 1805Tonnerre ( I don't like it but it's blood and gunpowder sooo)

11 days ago

I love Papillon Artisan Perfumes SalomeSalome, Le Labo Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 (Eau de Parfum)Labdanum 18 Eau de Parfum which is a sibling of FM Musc Ravageur, and Krizia Teatro alla Scala (Eau de Parfum)Teatro alla Scala Eau de Parfum.

Teatro alla Scala is discontinued but pretty easily found on the grey market.

10 days ago
Ostara

I love Papillon Artisan Perfumes SalomeSalome, Le Labo Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 (Eau de Parfum)Labdanum 18 Eau de Parfum which is a sibling of FM Musc Ravageur, and Krizia Teatro alla Scala (Eau de Parfum)Teatro alla Scala Eau de Parfum.

Teatro alla Scala is discontinued but pretty easily found on the grey market.

@Ostara Thank you. It seems almost everybody has Salome on their list. I really need to get my nose on it . Also, Le Labo has Labdanum 18 and Oud 27 which look enticing. Cheers.

6 days ago 1
3 days ago
2 days ago
Smirky

HyraxHyrax

UnutamamUnutamam

Ambilux / 50 ml d'AmbiguïtéAmbilux

Afrika-OlifantAfrika-Olifant

Kouros (Eau de Toilette)Kouros Eau de Toilette

Sphinx ElixirSphinx Elixir

Juste FilthyJuste Filthy

ScatamalisScatamalis

Dali pour Homme (Eau de Toilette)Dali pour Homme Eau de Toilette

And the following - for some reason am unable to add as a regular perfume link

Él by Arquiste

Brilliant. You make me do my homework now. I already have Hyrax, Afrika Olifant and Kouros. Looking forward to discovering al others. Thank you.

2 days ago 1

Glad to be of help. Note that Juste Filthy and Scatamalis, both from Dame Perfumes, are intended to be layered. A few more....

Since you have Kouros, you may want to try his more dignified, gentlemanly brother:

Antaeus (Eau de Toilette)Antaeus Eau de Toilette

Regarding Él, to me its opening is like the Kouros opening but the dry down is more like Antaeus. "Like" meaning "reminds me of" not "the same as."

The following is heavy on cumin, so it has a sweaty smell:

L'Autre by Diptyque

Another heavy on cumin with a sweaty smell, specifically the 2020 version:

Dodo (2020)Dodo (2020)

Some have more of what I call a "masculine funk" smell. You know what I mean if you've ever gone camping for a week or two without a shower. Unutamam has that in the dry down as does Kouros to a lesser extent.

Overture ManOverture Man is interesting in that it has a sweaty opening (heavy cumin top note) but the dry down has the masculine funk smell in the background, but the way it's blended with the other notes makes it totally unoffensive.

I've never smelled the following; supposedly also has that funky smell:

Signature Royale XXXSignature Royale XXX

Lastly, there's alway the following, as you can guess by its name. I've never smelled it and reviews are mixed:

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfumes & Brands Best animalic fragrances
Jump to