Main

Overture Man 2019

Overture Man by Amouage
Overture Man is a popular perfume by Amouage for men and was released in 2019. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Sabco Group / Oman Perfumery.

Smoky
Resinous
Oriental

CognacCognac GrapefruitGrapefruit CuminCumin CardamomCardamom GingerGinger NutmegNutmeg SaffronSaffron
LabdanumLabdanum MyrrhMyrrh BenzoinBenzoin GeraniumGeranium Mastic absoluteMastic absolute PatchouliPatchouli CinnamonCinnamon
FrankincenseFrankincense Animalic notesAnimalic notes SandalwoodSandalwood Smoked leatherSmoked leather Clary sage absoluteClary sage absolute

Perfumer

Videos
Submitted by Amourage, last update on 01.04.2024.
Interesting Facts
The fragrance is part of the "Main" collection.

Helpful Review 34
Simply nr.1
For over 1 year, I have discovered the fragrance world and been active on Parfumo almost daily. I have Reflection Man, Amouage and Creed discovered ... things that used to be foreign things for me.

Since knowing Amouage, I have in my collection seven fragrances from them and one is Overture, made in Oman. It is a "boozy" so called fragrance with super cognac, grapefruit and many other notes - a creation of Karine Vinchon-Spehner who also made Boundless, which is already ordered.

For me, after 1 year of experience with fragrances from all sorts of brands it is the #1 ... equal or better than my ever favorite, the Black Phantom.

Starts out extremely special, with a mix between bitter and fruity and dark and then goes into the cognac wood barrel direction, anyone who doesn't like that ... won't like Overture either.

This fragrance has everything that is important for me in a fragrance: darker side, performance, unique factor, completeness and quality content. I know that because of the price, it's not as easy to test as the other Amouages so probably that's why it doesn't get as much love as the others.

It's quite nice when after a long journey in fragrance world, to find such a creation and understand that it was what I have been waiting for long. My Made in Oman version smells much darker than the Made in UK and I am extremely excited to continue enjoying my fragrance

Helpful Review 9
ALL good things must come to an end...
For a long time I ignored buying any Amouage because of the ubiquitous hype that they get on social media. And that goes for all the hyped luxury houses. But when this was announced and I read the note pyramid, I was VERY intrigued.

Since I started collecting I found I have an appreciation for big, bold, scents. The first time I smelled Baraonda by Nasomatto, I bought it. The first time I ever smelled T.Rex by Zoologist, I bought it. The first time I ever smelled The Night by Frederick Malle, well, I didn't buy it. Lol. BUT would have, if the price wasn't so exclusionarily high... I know, I know, I made my own adverb. But you get the point.

So imagine, the ONLY Amouage I ever yearned for was not available to purchase in the US.

Eventually, I did research on other Amouage fragrances and found 2 that spoke to me: Gold Man and Enclave. Both of which I really like.

Overture, I gave up on.

Just when I started to wind down from making purchases (...have WAY too many...) guess what I seen at a steal of a price? Overture Man!!!

Instantly I bought it!

The only other fragrances I ever got so mind blown to find was: Dior Home Parfum and from Ermenegildo Zegna's Elements of Man series: Strength. Both were/are unicorns and both I really enjoy.

Typically, I would not have purchased a fragrance like this with colder weather so far off. But I thought of the odds of finding it for such a steal again and just went for it.

So far, I've only had a spray on my right hand, so it wouldn't be fair if I started yapping on about it. However, my initial impression is akin to when I first smelled LDDM by Andy Tauer and Fumerie turque by both Christopher Sheldrake and Serge Lutens. Both BLEW MY MIND!

All and all I am supremely happy finally being able to own this. The only other fragrance that I REALLY want and MAY purchase full retail, is: Cartier's Oud & Oud. After that, I'm done. This hobby will have you buying more than you can ever use and personally I think my money could be better spent.

But, hey, that's me.

Until next time y'all..

UPDATE
I rarely make separate entries on the same perfume, but this is so unusually beautiful that I just have to.

Altho I still have yet to give this a full, proper, wearing due to it still being Summer (but am tempted! Lol!), I find myself constantly either sniffing the atomizer or half spritzing it on the back of my hand. I say that to say: there has been no other fragrance that I've smelled that evoke the deep emotion this one does.

This fragrance makes me wish that I can hibernate until colder weather is present. Totally forgo Summer, with all its beauty, just to be able to apply this until my heart is content.

This is the fragrance that I unknowingly searched for as I went thru over 1,000 fragrances; The one that kept me buying due to, subconsciously, not being completely satisfied with what I already had.

This fragrance makes me unequivocally feel I, now, have the absolute best in ALL scent profiles, safe of a truly authentic, stanky, oud.

Shy of The Night (which is an indulgence that falls TOTALLY outside my budget), Cartier's Oud & Oud I believe will fill that void. It's authentic and stanky, and extremely elegant and luxurious smelling, yet wearable. Something TN isn't, imo.

I'm sorry for emoting so hard about this fragrance and going off on a tangent, but, in the end, that's what fragrance forums are for. When you need to express your passion for fragrance and no one else gets it, you guys do.

Until next time!

Helpful Review 6
A Night at the Opera
The lights dim, the conductor steps onto his podium, and music fills the air. It is the overture, a piece of music that precedes an opera. Usually beginning with some forceful chords to let stragglers know the performance is beginning, the overture explores a lot of the thematic content before the curtain rises and the opera proper begins. This perfume, according to Amouage's website, evokes "an essence of self-assured elegance and glamour that treats even the simplest of occasions with the fanfare of an evening at the opera." Being a huge opera fan, I had to try it!

It opens with a menagerie of Middle-Eastern spices: cumin, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon. In the same first sniff you can detect a wonderful sweet boozy accord that is stated as cognac in the note list. This opening is so addicting and mesmerizing. It only gets better from there. Soft florals lead into a beautiful sandalwood and leather blend that keep the scent masculine while still maintaining the smooth and dark signature. What a fantastic boozy, spicy, woody creation!
9.5

Helpful Review 5
Overture
The last fragrance made when Christopher Chong was leaving the company by Karine Vinchon Spehner. Saying goodbye seems to have been successful, and I consider the fragrance to be one of the best from the Amouage brand. A fragrance with atomic persistence that mixes spicy notes of spices, ginger, with bitter-sweet notes of cumin, grapefruit and resinous myrrh.
To all this, leather-animal and smoky incense poured with ... rum was added.
A great fragrance and both could well be released under the Olympic Orchids label. Longevity and projection-very big.

Helpful Review 4
So good it's hard to believe it exists
More Middle Eastern than most Middle Eastern fragrances. All quintessential "Oriental" assets in one package!

What does the "trick" here is cumin, which makes the scent intriguing, nose-arresting, and prevents it from becoming "pleasant" (as in "crowd pleasing).

The drydown scent may appear quite austere, not your usual "cozy wrapping". The point is to understand how the scent is perceived in the air.
More reviews

BertolucciKBertolucciK 3 years ago
It starts like I am opening the drawer where I keep all the spices in the kitchen. Then myrrh and Cognac start to stand out. Great quality.
AziyadeAziyade 1 year ago
All quintessential Middle Eastern/"Oriental" assets in one package! Cumin makes it intriguing, preventing from becoming "pleasant". A 10.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 2 years ago
Initially pungent and animalic herbal-spicy, a gently boozy, oriental spicy-resinous Fall fragrance, on a dry, smoky leathery-woody base.
RisingChaosRisingChaos 3 years ago
Boozy, floral, woody. Dries down to a burning cigar, very strong smoky and woody accords. A work of art, but not the most pleasant.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 1 year ago
Orange brandy greets you - then myrrh and labdanum. Dense and not too sweet, balanced and mature. Really nothing to compare this to
More statements

Popular by Amouage

Reflection Man by Amouage Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage Reflection 45 by Amouage Interlude Man by Amouage Epic Man by Amouage Sunshine Woman by Amouage Sunshine Man by Amouage Memoir Man by Amouage Memoir Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude Black Iris by Amouage Journey Man by Amouage Dia Man by Amouage Lyric Man by Amouage Dia Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Enclave by Amouage Beach Hut Man by Amouage Lilac Love (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Honour Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Lyric Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Epic Woman (Eau de Parfum) by Amouage Interlude 53 by Amouage