L'Initial 2020

L'Initial by Guerlain
L'Initial is a popular perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 2020. The scent is powdery-floral. It is being marketed by LVMH.
Pronunciation

Powdery
Floral
Oriental

OrangeOrange BergamotBergamot JasmineJasmine
Iris pallidaIris pallida Turkish rose absoluteTurkish rose absolute
White muskWhite musk CaramelCaramel Tonka beanTonka bean VanillaVanilla PatchouliPatchouli

Perfumer

Submitted by Juli11, last update on 06.04.2024.

Top Review 34
Do we know each other?!
Since this fragrance is based on my absolute heart fragrance, I would like to add a few more words to my statement. I hope this can be a decision-making aid for all those who, like me, sorely miss the masterpiece perfume L'Initial. Is this new L'Initial a beautiful fragrance? Yes. It is. Is it an identical reissue of the perfume L'Initial?
No, for me it is clearly not. You can already tell by the fragrance color, which is quite clearly different. Even if I only sniff the two bottles, I already perceive a difference. L'Inital is lighter than its predecessor. It doesn't have the depth and complexity for me that makes L'Initial perfume so special. It also doesn't go through as finely tuned a scent progression as my old treasure. In terms of longevity and also sillage, they differ just as significantly. While Parfum L'Initial can be perceived by me for days, L'Initial evaporates, at least for me, after a short time. Only in the hair it can exist a little longer - after all. The DNA of the original version is clearly there, which is a small consolation for all lovers. While Parfum L'Initial is a full-grown, wild and self-possessed feline predator, L'Inital is for me a little kitten that can certainly bewitch with its loveliness. The brief for Thierry Wasser here might have been -- please create a fragrance that lies between the L'Initial EdP perfume and l' Eau, happily leaving out the soapiness from the latter and adding a gentle hint of animalicism from the primordial Shalimar EdP - et voila: L'Initial. So I perceive him at least.
If you read the statements of the house of Guerlain carefully, you can also hear out there that it is a new and fresh interpretation. This fragrance is part of the "Les Parisiennes" collection, in which the house's most coveted creations have been reinvented as a kind of homage to its loyal customers and lovers.
With this background, I gratefully accept this "gift" from the house of Guerlain and am already thinking about whether I can not lay my liquid gold (Parfum L'Initial) perhaps with this, so that I can still float as long as possible, wrapped in this dream, through this world...

Have fun discovering this fragrance and my tip is - please do not approach with the expectation that in this bottle slumbers the good old perfume L'Initial.

Fragrance: Clearly the Parfum L'Initial DNA, but lighter, less deep and complex.
Generally a nice, round, warm,powdery and feminine fragrance.

Sillage: Much less noticeable than the " predecessor".

Durability: At least with me, unfortunately, rather weak.
Flacon: It is beautiful but absolutely no comparison to the magnificent work of art of the perfume L'Initials.

Price: Could be a little too high for my liking...

Helpful Review 14
If Coco Mademoiselle were a Guerlain..
...she'd be L'initial.
Coco Mademoiselle Intense and this sweetheart arouse the same feelings in me: girly but not too young, very neat and floral without becoming musty and super trendy. Which is amazing, because both are definitely "traditional" (fragrance) houses. I like the modern twist, this somewhat playful and light, yet "memorable" specialness incredibly. I would recognize this fragrance anywhere. On any woman (or man!), anywhere. I feel the same way about Mademoiselle, it always draws me in magically. Both are like frilly dresses with biker boots, chic but not madamy, kind of bubbly. And yet not ephemeral.
Of course, the fragrances definitely differ in their composition: L'initial is extremely powdery, just a bit orangy, and the caramel replaces the patchouli. A bit like a pink powder puff, which is enthroned between sweet stuff and high-quality cosmetics. In super durable!

Oh, I'm just very happy that this fragrance is now available again. Nothing is so sad in the fragrance world, as the love of an extinct composition. But now is provided for now.
1 Comment

Top Review 13
sweet and trendy
Tonka bean is truly a trendy product. Twenty years ago, it was still an insider tip in fragrance blends; it was even threaded as a chain worn.
Never would I have thought back then that it will once start its triumphal procession through the perfume world.
So exotic she seemed!
And of course you can not get past it at Guerlain: "The Trend is a Friend" said as we all know already Uli Hoeneß!

She also appears in "L'Initial" in the company of the warm, cuddly vanilla; both can't wait until their time has come: they want their appearance right away!
And they get it!
"L'Initial" thus begins with the finale, before the first bars of the introduction are heard.
A bit of an upside-down world - but, why not?
Bergamot appears chirpy chatting with orange; both make themselves comfortable on the soft camp of the cheeky scent monsters and bring their own freshness.
Aromatic jasmine corresponds very well with the previous mixture and the same goes for rose and lily.
The ladies don't mess around; after all, they are the classic beauties of the floral world! "Oh, let them!" they seem to think as they exude their feminine, warm scents.
Vanilla and tonka bean, however, are finally supported by white musk and caramel.
For me, it now becomes a bit too much: too powdery, too sweet, a bit too sticky!
Even a good dose of spicy golden brown patchouli can't change that.
(How about a few drops of sandalwood oil? A little "bite" would have done "L'Inital" possibly quite well!)

But nice it is, this cuddly little: spreads warmth and kindness and wraps generously with it!
Who likes it, can settle for a few hours in this oasis of well-being and thus forget the time!
A bowl of sweets would fit quite well with it!

Who likes, can set a sign with this: "L'initial" is certainly not a bad signature!
It leaves scent marks and is not forgotten so quickly.
9.5

Top Review 11
Shalimar Sisterhood or simply Best of Guerlain Reloaded?
For the professionals among you:
You mix Shalimar EdP with the first (because of me second, but not third) Dior Homme Intense and put some salt caramel on top. Done! Prima Iris Unisex Oriental-Gourmand. Any questions?

Then we come to the non-professionals and Semis here at Parfumo:
Where you first think of powdery iris at first sniff, so you are surprised when looking at the note list of the formulation. Emulated iris? Fine by me.
Powdery, soft, cloudy, purple sugar mist. Carried by salty caramel and orange syrup.
Sweet, yes. Never ekehal sweet, though. Nice and warm and brightly musky. Vanilla and floral oriental sounds. A cuddler. A unisex seducer. A non-binary work of art from everything else Guerlain could find in the Hall of Fame. United. Refined. Gilded in a bee bottle. An inital fragrance. A deep DNA confession of the brand Guerlain.
You have to like it sweet and Pudrig woody. Radiance and longevity are good but never disturbingly enormous. No screamer. A noble poet and an eternal romantic. A companion for everyone. That is L'initial.
I like to wear this. Again and again. Everywhere.

Seen and bought at the Guerlain Counter Hamburg/ Alsterhaus. Also online to get

Popular by Guerlain

L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Cuir Béluga by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Habit Rouge (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain Santal Royal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal Extrême by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic by Guerlain Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Héritage (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal Cologne by Guerlain