Hypnôse Homme 2007 Eau de Toilette

Shop now
Search on
Search
Shop now
Hypnôse Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Lancôme for men and was released in 2007. The scent is sweet-spicy. It was last marketed by L'Oréal. Pronunciation
Search on
Search

Oriental
Fresh

Top Notes Top Notes CardamomCardamom BergamotBergamot Mandarin orangeMandarin orange MintMint
Heart Notes Heart Notes LavenderLavender
Base Notes Base Notes AmberAmber MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli

Perfumer

Videos
Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.03.2023.
Interesting Facts
The face of the advertising campaign is the British actor Clive Owen, set in scene by director Wong Kar Wai.
  • RateRate
  • CollectionCollection
  • ClassifyClassify
  • NotesNotes

8.5
Top Review 15
You're fascinated by me! You're fascinated by me! ...
True-blue i really am... :O How... was... why??? :O

Well, I guess the name says it all. I'm hypnotized. ¶)

I've had this sweetheart for a really long time now, one of my first fragrances since I was Parfumo, as far as I can remember...
What also makes hypnosis special is that, although I've had it for so long, I've hardly used it!
Hmm. Probably the first hypnosis lasted so long... ;P

Briefly to the fragrance impression.
For me it is a slightly sweet, slightly fresh, spicy, slightly oriental, and somewhat balsamic lavender scent. If someone can't do so much with lavender now, it's also represented in Le Male, or La Nuit de L'Homme.
Apropops, he has a lot in common with those two. To be exact, with both bergamot, lavender, cardamom, amber, and with Le Male the additional mint!

But although we already have a lot of overlap here, hypnosis is very independent. He could already be a child of both in an abstract way... But it's a little less sweet, less sweet. Like a green Le Male, without the vanilla cloud.
This makes him more mysterious, not so striking, less strong in silage, and a bit headstrong.
I would even say slightly unapproachable, which is probably also the reason that after several tests I let him get dusty in the cupboard for years, and poor "Andi136" had to wait until now for my review.
(Sorry :D)

But I think, to get back to it, this "Edge" makes hypnosis interesting at the same time, but it's not quite so pleasant to smell when you're the carrier yourself. I think, however, that it is perceived as very pleasant in silage. The Drydown also speaks for it, because then it is really sexy, I think.

Now we come to the problem of this perfume:
For me Le Male and also La Nuit de L'Homme are fragrances that do something very similar, but are simply better and more pleasant in all respects:

Le Male is stronger, more maritime, therefore really refreshing / cooling in the summer or during sports, and at the same time better cushioned by the vanilla there sweeter. And probably even more attractive.

La Nuit is sweeter, the cardamom is taken care of more pleasantly, so somehow it smells much better, and it is not so demanding, stubborn. Also more complex and simply better.

I think hypnosis is a good way out for days when you don't want to be so attractive, or in the case of Le Male want to come across as bold, but a little more confident, and more inconspicuous, mysterious, - but still want to wear about this scent DNA!
I'd give him the rating "La Nuit Understatement" or something. You could use it for occasions where you want to wear this fragrance but don't want to create a false impression, such as funerals, business meetings, or job interviews.

By the way, there is another EdT, which I think is very similar to Hypnosis: "Horizon Man" by Esprit. I matched it from memory, but verified it with perfume. Largest note: Lavender.
However, Horizon somehow plays in a different league, is from my memory simply a cheaper entry-level scent. Like a teen version of Hypnosis.
Another fragrance I find similar in the drydown is Viktor & Rolf's "Antidote". It smells like a super-complex, multi-layered, niche, unisex variant of hypnosis. But does the vibe have any.

Last but not least I would like to emphasize the following:
For pragmatists or people with a collection of < 10 perfumes, this is an outdated, mid-range, designer fragrance, and there are just so many more modern and better workhorses out there. The better perform, more pleasing, easier to wear.
Despite everything I find hypnosis independent and special! If, like me, you are a lover, and not just a user of perfumes, you should definitely try it or add it to your collection.
Or, if you love La Nuit de L'Homme hot, and would buy any flanker of it blindly, a hypnosis will probably also appeal very much.

Definitely a gem of perfume history that I greatly appreciate. :)

Not only because it hypnotized me to write so much... or yet? ;)
2 Replies
8.5
Top Review 16
The beginning of everything
My first comment shall be for the fragrance that started everything 2 years ago.

At the age of 16 I got the bottle into my father's hand.

The shape, the colour... Simply the madman.

A few seconds later, the first spray shot was so impressive that I could not tear myself away from it again.

In the following months I rummaged through the first fragrances a teenager could afford.

Dior Sauvage and and and... Everything which had rank and name and somewhere times in the special sale was attainable.

But nothing caused this aha moment again.

My favorite fragrance is Oud Wood from TF, but even this one couldn't break my love of hypnosis. No matter how generic and boring it is in some people's eyes, it has something very special about it.

Like Red Bull, has many similar tastes as competition... Somehow, however, no one ever reaches this special taste, which lies almost imperceptibly hidden somewhere, but still makes up so much.
3 Replies
9.5
Very helpful Review 14
A class of its own
I came across this fragrance by pure coincidence when I rummaged through the shelf in the perfumery. Up to this point the fragrance was totally unknown to me and Lancome was for me a brand that mainly has women as its target group.

When I tried out the scent on the paper strip, it was easy to describe it sweet and oriental. Individual components, such as lavender, mandarin and amber could be smelled out. I tried the smell on the skin and it was a great mixture, which I could already smell on the paper.

Together, the fragrance can be described as oriental and sweet, but with a small tendency to freshness through the mint or the light floral of lavender. The components fit very well together and the fragrance already gave me some compliments from ladies and gentlemen. It is not intrusive and is nevertheless present. I can only recommend it to anyone.
1 Reply
Helpful Review 3
Once again a top candidate who falls through my grid
True hymns of praise I read here and also the list of ingredients without woods, leather and flowers sounds interesting for me. There are certainly more experienced noses here than mine, but the lavender I know from my terrace smells different. And by that I mean completely different! Maybe I have less imagination than most of my fellow commentators!? ;-)

I don't want to deny this fragrance its class, I would probably even smell it out among umpteen others. But I'll make it short: "Hypnosis" is not my case! I actually want the scent to please me, but it doesn't get there, not even after an hour. Pretty pompous, albeit softly appearing, quite intrusive and with a strict undertone in my nose provided ... and cursedly sweet, even without vanilla, cinnamon or tonka bean. Sounds weird, but it is!

I compare "Hypnosis" with "Présence" by Montblanc, because this is probably the sweetest fragrance of my collection so far: much more pleasant, much "fresher" and therefore much more wearable for me. But with "hypnosis" I just can't get rid of the feeling that I'm disguised as someone I'm not. From sweet-oriental I leave at any rate soon the fingers ...

No offense: I can understand someone standing on it. Anyway, my hypnosis failed. My subconscious advised me against it and said: "Smelling beautiful" does not apply! :-)
1 Reply

Helpful Review 3
Half-nice, half-horrible
At the very first sniff, the inner nature if Hypnose is already clear: a half-good work. Perfectly split in two parts: one is completely good, the other completely crap, and the clash is just... err. There are indeed some nice features: the mint note is fresh, green and realistically crunchy, avoiding the toothpaste effect; the spices are vibrant and lively, and overall, it surely catches that mid-2000s “metropolitan” masculine elegance played on amber-warm-sweet notes blended with spices and woods, here also added with a dusty layer of lavender and white musks, clean and classy like a freshly ironed shirt. The family, in broad terms, is the one of Dior Homme or Arpège pour Homme (to which Hypnose resembles a bit, just more pungent and spicier), that type of urban, office-safe, yet somehow feminine elegance which was in fashion some years ago. So far so good: lavender, spices, woods, a balsamic breeze. It would be a good perfume, but... the “but” here is quite a big “but” (sorry for the pun), and it's represented by a completely useless, unrelated, horrid metallic-ozonic-fruity note, or better say “feel”, which smells quite similar to that stuff they use to build tropical-sea notes (I just thought of Azzaro Chrome for instance, but you get it in many other scents as well). Basically some kind of pungent, moldy, metallic and completely weird spicy-calone aftertaste, which is fruity in a way, but warm at the same time. And as I said, completely separated from the rest, just sitting there like an elephant in a room – and I mean a real elephant into an actual room. Without this nuance, which to me is quite bold, it would be a good scent, a bit trendy and conventional but good; but as-is, it's just annoying. Such a shame!

4,5-5/10
More reviews

HugoMontezHugoMontez 1 year ago
6.5
A kinda lost gem. The budget ruined it to be a true winner. But the mint-cardamom-shower gel vibe kinda convince me. Good for night time.3/5
BogdanpBogdanp 2 years ago
Pleasant. Safe. Boring. Just an office scent for me.
ElysiumElysium 3 years ago
Such a nice and hypnotic scent, I'd suggest to men of all ages, perfect staple in my collection for when I want to give off an alluring vibe

Popular by Lancôme

La Nuit Trésor à la Folie by Lancôme Ôud Bouquet by Lancôme Poême (Eau de Parfum) by Lancôme La Vie est Belle L'Eau de Parfum Blanche by Lancôme La Nuit Trésor L'Eau de Parfum by Lancôme Iris Dragées by Lancôme La Nuit Trésor Dentelle de Roses by Lancôme Balafre Brun (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Jasmins Marzipane by Lancôme Parfait de Rôses by Lancôme La Nuit Trésor Nude by Lancôme La Vie est Belle L'Absolu by Lancôme Cuir de Lancôme by Lancôme Lavandes Trianon by Lancôme Magie Noire (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Magie Noire (Parfum) by Lancôme Oranges Bigarades by Lancôme Hypnôse Elixir Envoûtant by Lancôme Figues & Agrumes by Lancôme Balafre (Eau de Toilette) by Lancôme Ôud Ambroisie by Lancôme