Vanilla Royale Sugared Patchouli | 64 2022

Vanilla Royale Sugared Patchouli | 64 by Kayali
Vanilla Royale Sugared Patchouli | 64 is a limited perfume by Kayali for women and was released in 2022. The scent is sweet-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation Limited Edition

Oriental
Gourmand
Smoky

RumRum Vanilla orchidVanilla orchid JasmineJasmine
VanillaVanilla Vanilla absoluteVanilla absolute Crème brûléeCrème brûlée LeatherLeather Tonka beanTonka bean RoseRose
PatchouliPatchouli Brown sugarBrown sugar AmberAmber MuskMusk OudOud

Perfumer

Videos
Submitted by Surame, last update on 24.02.2024.

8.5

DogiCoco
Deep, dark, smoky, spicy, leathery vanilla
Kayali fragrances really work for me. Even those that I don't love are still pretty nice. I'm starting to feel like some dumb unpaid influencer because I always write them positive reviews, but I just can't help it. Here comes another one that I wrote a while ago and want to add to Parfumo today.

Vanilla Royale Sugared Patchouli is a love for me. It's the deepest, darkest Kayali scent yet, but also very warm and cozy. When I tested this it was March and I could not wait for winter to end. But then I woke up to snow after I sampled this in the evening, and the remains of VRSP on my arm made me feel better about it. Yes, it lasts long enough to still be clearly perceptible after 12 hours and more.

This starts out with a thick, custardy blend of chocolatey patchouli, vanilla crème brûlee and something that reminds me of pipe tobacco. I sometimes have this thing where fragrances that are supposed to smell like some kind of booze smell like tobacco to me. It's warm, bittersweet and exciting. I do sense spicy notes, but I can't pinpoint which spices. Later the leather blends in with the other notes. This balances the line between a gourmand and an oriental/amber fragrance perfectly. Even though rose is not the most stand-out note here, I can smell it. Not very dominant, but I think it lifts the fragrance a little bit.

I don't find this similar to Vanilla 28 all in all, but there is one phase where I get the comparison. Vanilla 28 is a mix of boozy, woodsy to papery vanilla on the one hand and creamy-sweet, musky vanilla on the other to me. In Vanilla Royal, I get the woodsy and boozy parts of Vanilla 28, but not the creamier parts. And I only get it for a while in the heart, the rest of the fragrance is quite different.

It can have a bit of a sharpness in the drydown when it transfers to clothes, which is why I rate this only as 8.5. But on my skin it's heavenly all the time. I suppose that this is a scent that is highly dependent on the wearer and can't be properly judged from a paper strip.

DacontaD
Was hoping for a perfect patchouli and vanilla marriage
I won't sit here and say I wanted to love Vanilla Royal because I didn't, the patchouli scared me from the moment I laid eyes on the notes. Reading a few people say the patchouli pulled more of a dark chocolate on their skin I pulled the trigger anyway- and was met with surprise and a twinge of sadness. I do get sugared patchouli- it pulls like an earthy dark chocolate on my skin, oud, and the rum were most prominent. As it started to dry down a little the BURNT part of a creme brulee started to come through and add a little sweetnews, and once it settled completely that ambery vanilla that's so prominent in vanilla 28 started to come through. There is something at the first initial smell that's a little cooling, kinda like vicks but it doesn't last long.

I got a wear time of about 6 hours with this and it didn't seem to project more then arms length. Ultimately I don't feel like it's a bad fragrance but it should have been marketed more towards the boozy and earthy fragrance lovers rather then the gourmand lovers. For me she will definitely be going back as the earthiness is so much for me.

Telekinec
Vanilla Royale Sugared Leather fragrance!
When I got into my fragrance journey, I knew I wanted to try every Kayali fragrances because the bottles were pretty, the juices all seemed so amazing and - let's admit it - social media is quite the powerful tool in creating a "want". This lead me to buy the 10ml travel size on Sephora. And after trying this out, it's a good thing I only got the 10 ml.

I really wanted to love this fragrance. I'm a gourmand girl so vanilla orchid, crème brulée, brown sugar, amber and musk? Count me in. I was a bit wary when I saw the notes of rum, leather and oud (I'm not sure these notes vibe well with my skin chemistry), but I fell for those reviews that said that the crème brulée note came out sugary and nice. On my skin? It's totally a different (sad) story. The most prominent note is leather and although I have nothing against this note per se, I just don't feel like smelling like leather. I could feel the crème brulée trying to come out shyly behind it, but leather was just too strong. It does smell luxurious, opulent and everything, but I just can't stomach it. I did catch a few whiffs of sugar throughout the dry down, but I think the patchouli, leather and oud mixed together and became this strange earthy (almost acrid?) scent. I tried layering it with Vanilla 28 to see if those notes would calm down and they did - but not enough for me to keep VRSP 64 in my collection.

Not a true vanilla
I think a lot of people are probably misled by the name Vanilla Royale, but I would not classify this as a true vanilla perfume. This is for the patchouli and non-edible gourmand lovers for sure and is my personal favorite out of the scents I have tried from Kayali.

The opening of this is strong with the rum, patchouli and oud most immediately standing out. However the rum fades quite quickly (within minutes) and the oud quickly takes a back seat and rather provides some nice dry, woody support to the earthy patchouli which is really the star of the show for me. (If you are new to ouds or want a more feminine leaning oud though this may be a nice intro.)

After about an hour I start to get more of the gourmand notes and the earthiness of the patchouli is lightened up quite a bit. Overall a fun and festive scent for the fall/winter time of year. One I think is worth testing on skin vs paper. Skin really warms this up and on paper it can be a bit overwhelming.

ScentStudio
Like a child in its mother's clothing
From first sniff, I am a big question mark. I have absolutely no idea whether or not I like this fragrance.
Close to skin, Royale has a smoky or rather burnt note that I've experienced so many times before. And I've grown to love it in fragrances like Blackmail and in BeauFort London fragrances. Vanilla Royale changes a lot, however, and what started off as a burnt match note has become sweeter and more of a smoky patchouli. There is something very harsh about this fragrance that isn't just dominating and making a statement, but misplaced and unpleasant. Royale has so many notes that I feel like they are all battling each other rather than complimenting each others presence.
Though the name of the fragrance is called something Royale, there's something cheap about it and it just doesn't scream quality or regalness. It's like a child in its mother's clothing - trying to be something that it's not.

I tried this fragrance in reverse, on skin first. Now on paper, a week later, I am just as confused. VRSP is sugary sweet for sure, too sweet for my liking. There is something fruity about it, like cheap children's candy. I am honestly baffled that so many people like this. I definitely get rum, like dried plum in liquor, but all the other notes I love aren't there. Or maybe they all are, at the same time, too much of them for either of them to shine. I get neither leather, tonka, spices nor vanilla. Just a sweet, sweet patchouli dipped in plum jam spiked with rum. It sounds good, doesn't it? It isn't and I don't know why.
To me, all Kayali fragrances are good in theory, but no matter how many times or how many of them I have tried, they disappoint every time.

I tried it once more on skin and this is how it went: the spiked plum jam is richer and the patchouli gives off the burnt note, the fruitiness has gone and the scent is basically a sweet patchouli mess. VRSP tries very hard to be an oriental, but with my beloved Taj in my collection, it doesn't even come close.

One thing I do want to give Vanilla Royale credit for, is that the paper strip, even days later, smells just as potent as on the first day. On my desk, every time I sit down, I get whiffs of it and get confused, because the scent is strong, not unpleasant, but not good either.