Search Forum

Workplace friendly unisex/women’s niche perfumes?

1 - 25 by 26
Workplace friendly unisex/women’s niche perfumes? 8 months ago

Hello, everybody!

Here I am again looking for recommendations, this time for my work place. I do rock some amber-spicy/floral perfumes at work now, and they are lovely. However, I work in preschool/kindergarten and I have to be mindful of what I spray on myself. I wash my clothes with unscented detergent, and my shower and hair products are pretty neutral. I sparingly used Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum)Black Orchid Eau de Parfum and Opium (1977) (Eau de Toilette)Opium (1977) Eau de Toilette during the past winter and spring, and the kiddos absolutely loved it! Hugging them everyday and them saying “Miss, you smell so good!” was a delight, because of their sensitive noses. I don’t want to cause them any discomfort, so I only spray once on my chest in the morning, the perfumes are only detectable when you go in for a hug (and you’re a tiny person lol).

However, I now am looking for something lighter and brighter and happier for work. I have my sexy, mysterious, and dark perfumes and decants, but I feel it’s time to take another step in my perfume journey. Since I seem to prefer niche houses, I would love to try out a bunch of inoffensive yet unique fragrances. Me and gourmands don’t really click, and even if I’d love to love citrus heavy perfumes, we don’t click either. And I don’t like rose or vanilla so much.

For reference, I have been looking for something in the same category as vintage EdenEden, vintage 1881 pour Femme (1995) (Eau de Toilette)1881 pour Femme (1995) Eau de Toilette and vintage Laura (Eau de Parfum)Laura Eau de Parfum.

It doesn’t have to be vintage, or from the 90’s, but something that is light, ethereal, airy and like water colours. It can be fresh, floral, powdery, creamy, chypre (never tried it though!), Green, resinous, spicy, oriental. I am looking for something unisex, or feminine leaning unisex.

Nothing that knocks you out, I’ll save those for the weekends lol.

8 months ago

Watercolour and fresh/light: Un Jardin sur le ToitUn Jardin sur le Toit

Another green one: "L'Eau miXte | Parfums de Nicolaï"

Light and powdery (very light kumquat, so not as citrusy as lemon for example): Le Jardin de Monsieur LiLe Jardin de Monsieur Li

A very light white floral Chypre (the eau de toilette fits your request better imho): La Panthère (Eau de Toilette)La Panthère Eau de Toilette

Powdery floral : Ananda (Eau de Parfum)Ananda Eau de Parfum

Powdery slightly spicy cocoa: RococòRococò

A warm fluffy amber, slightly spicy but not "in your face" : "Ambre Cashmere Intense | Parfums de Nicolaï"

8 months ago 1

Omg thank you, @Nushka !! I’ll check out the Souk and internet for samples. 

8 months ago 1

Workplace-friendly female perfumes are my thing. I spend (too) many hours in the office, so I selected a large part of my perfume wardrobe accordingly. Personally I think amber, leather and spice do not fit in the workplace simply because they have a rather strong presence and can be received as oppressive or shouty. Citrus, powder, soap and soft florals are perfect for the job.

My personal preference goes to the fresher florals like

Orange blossom - Sandan / Sandalo (Perfume Oil)Sandan Perfume Oil

Lily-of-the-valley - CavatinaCavatina, LuckyLucky, Fleur VerteFleur Verte, "Synthetic Jungle | Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle"

Green tea - Thé CachemireThé Cachemire, Wūlóng Chá (Extrait de Parfum)Wūlóng Chá Extrait de Parfum, Hyouge / OribeHyouge

Osmanthus - OsmanthusOsmanthus

Narcissus can get animalic, but not with N°19 (Eau de Toilette)N°19 Eau de Toilette (the EDP is a no go)

Irises are difficult, I think. Some are clean, others are highly flirtatious and it is a fine line between those two. My work-safe iris is Frosted Moon / Lune de GivreFrosted Moon

Chypres can go musty with their oakmoss/patchouli base on a stressful day, so I prefer not to go down that road. Although sometimes in winter I reach for 31 Rue Cambon (Eau de Parfum)31 Rue Cambon Eau de Parfum

Aldehydes give that soapy feel. Usually well-received, but to some people a reminder of baby wipes. Not so much with La Pausa (Eau de Parfum)La Pausa Eau de Parfum

Of course, with sandalwood you never go wrong Tam Dao (Eau de Parfum)Tam Dao Eau de Parfum

One genre that I have not really dipped my toes into, especially in office settings, is the fruity perfumes. They may be a fairly safe place in between sweet-gourmand and light-fresh. All I have there is Premier Figuier (Eau de Toilette)Premier Figuier Eau de Toilette

Hope this helps! ✌

8 months ago

You are so right, @Kurai ! Amber, spice and leather can be even offensive and loud to some people in work places. One poor colleague got an asthma attack after I passed her wearing Black Orchid. The shame I felt. So, no heavy duty fragrances around allergy prone kids and colleagues from now on. 

Wow, another sturdy list of suggestions! I will be off to my local perfumeries this week and try them. I’m grateful that there is a Chanel beauty store, and even some niche perfume stores, in my hometown. And the ones that I can’t find locally, I’ll just order decants online. Thank you, @Kurai !

8 months ago

I recommend Jasmin AngéliqueJasmin Angélique, possibly the most realistic jasmine fragrance I've ever tried.
Dusita also makes a number of very realistic fragrances based on specific flowers and it would be beyond my memory to list them all, but definitely have a look at the brand's website if you're into photorealistic, evocative flower scents.

8 months ago

Yes! I am looking for flower scents also! I’ll check it out, for sure. Thanks, @Johnjssmith !

8 months ago

Very curious to read about your impressions of whatever you get to test! 

8 months ago 1

@Nushka thats a great idea! I could post here when I’ve tested them. Smile

8 months ago
Rojabird

No pressure though 😁 Enjoy the testing! 

8 months ago
Nushka
Rojabird

No pressure though 😁 Enjoy the testing! 

Thank you! And no worries!☺️ I look forward to trying them out. 

8 months ago

Fidji (2003) (Eau de Toilette)Fidji (2003) Eau de Toilette and I think L'Air du Temps (Eau de Parfum)L'Air du Temps Eau de Parfum is great for hugs Smile (but that is my signature so I'm a little prejudiced Smile) But I know children often love it!

8 months ago 1

Ooh, two oldies but goldies! I’ve never tried Fidji but I remember L’Air du Temps! Smile they’ll be on my list! 

8 months ago

I love to wear wulong cha in the office

8 months ago 1

@Axeel998 thats great to hear! It’s definitely on my to try-list. It seems really interesting. 

8 months ago

Give IndusIndus or You (Eau de Parfum)You Eau de Parfum a try.

8 months ago

Thanks, @Cocopah ! And I’ve been wanting to try out Ormonde Jayne’s fragrances for a while now. Seems like a great perfume house!

8 months ago

I had only good experiences with OJ and Indus last for hours on me. Smile

8 months ago

That’s great to hear! Smile I’m looking forward to trying it for myself. @Cocopah 

8 months ago
Since I seem to prefer niche houses, I would love to try out a bunch of inoffensive yet unique fragrances. Me and gourmands don’t really click, and even if I’d love to love citrus heavy perfumes, we don’t click either. And I don’t like rose or vanilla so much.

Noted. Some interesting and non-obvious picks would be:

IV-II Ray-FlectionIV-II Ray-Flection

L'Eau d'HiverL'Eau d'Hiver

Beige (Eau de Toilette)Beige Eau de Toilette

8 months ago

I find private collections particularly interesting.

Givenchy, Hermès, Yves Saint Laurent.

It's original and accessible to everyone.

Hermessence Iris UkiyoéHermessence Iris Ukiyoé

Dans ParisDans Paris

La Peau NueLa Peau Nue

Sans ArtificeSans Artifice

Le Vestiaire - Grain de PoudreLe Vestiaire - Grain de Poudre

Le Vestiaire - LavallièreLe Vestiaire - Lavallière

Le Vestiaire - TrenchLe Vestiaire - Trench

Heliotrope (Eau de Toilette)Heliotrope Eau de Toilette

Héliotrope du PérouHéliotrope du Pérou

8 months ago 1
Lala25

I find private collections particularly interesting.

Givenchy, Hermès, Yves Saint Laurent.

It's original and accessible to everyone.

Hermessence Iris UkiyoéHermessence Iris Ukiyoé

Dans ParisDans Paris

La Peau NueLa Peau Nue

Sans ArtificeSans Artifice

Le Vestiaire - Grain de PoudreLe Vestiaire - Grain de Poudre

Le Vestiaire - LavallièreLe Vestiaire - Lavallière

Le Vestiaire - TrenchLe Vestiaire - Trench

Heliotrope (Eau de Toilette)Heliotrope Eau de Toilette

Héliotrope du PérouHéliotrope du Pérou

Yes, I absolutely love private collections! I haven’t had the opportunity to try many yet, but I look forward to it. Thank you for the suggestions! They are noted now. Smile

8 months ago

I was talking about accessibility, when they share, or bottling, because it's true that a bottle is quite expensive.

I was able to find this out thanks to some sharing and bottling in France, Germany and the Netherlands.

8 months ago

Yes, that’s what I do. I’ve bought samples here in the souk and on Facebook. I would have never been able to try them if not for decants.

edit: wait did you mean people’s private collections, or did you mean designer brands more expensive and exclusive private collections? There might have been a misunderstanding lol. But yes to both!

7 months ago
Rojabird

Yes, that’s what I do. I’ve bought samples here in the souk and on Facebook. I would have never been able to try them if not for decants.

edit: wait did you mean people’s private collections, or did you mean designer brands more expensive and exclusive private collections? There might have been a misunderstanding lol. But yes to both!

You've got it right Smile.
I was talking about private collections.
Not people's private collections 🤗.

1 - 25 by 26
Notify about new comments
Forum Overview Perfume Recommendations Workplace friendly unisex/women’s niche perfumes?
Jump to